Had hemorrhoid surgery on Friday Jan 25th.....Had several internal ones and some external ones removed!  I had not anesthesia, just a local, something to put me asleep for a little while.....The doctor did numb the area where he was working.  Half way throught the surgery, i had an acid reflux attack, which meant they had to stop giving me anything to keep me asleep, so i was a wake for at least 20 minutes of the last part of the surgery.....I did not feel anything, as i was numb in that area....the only problem i had was my acid reflux....The last time i ate the day before the operation was at 4 pm......Did an enema around 8 pm the night before....So i don't know why the acid reflux attack!!

Anyway, by the time i got back to the recovery room, i was wide awake and feeling great!!!  Because i didnt have any anesthesia, i was not nausea or woozy!!!!!  My bottom was numb, but that was it!!!

It is a 40 minute car trip to the hospital i had to go to!  So by the time i got home, the numbness was wearing off.....I took a little nap, then woke up and jumped into a nice hot epsom salt bath!!!  It really relaxes you...

Now the nurse and the doctor both told me, that if i can't pee, to get into a tub of warm water, and just lay there, until i felt the urge to pee....They said, do not worry about peeing in the tub, it won't hurt anything....You are not going to take a bath in that water, just relax in it!!!  I heard many people saying they had to go to the emergency room because they couldnt pee!!!  Please believe me, the warm water helps a lot!!!!

My doctor explained to me, that the reason you feel like you can't pee, is because the muscles down there can not relax because of the stress it just went through....So another thing he gave me was Valium....He said it was more important to take Valium 4 times a day, because it helps relax the muscles down there....He said the pain pills will only constipate you, even though, he prescribed them for me, just in case, he said i am having some real bad pain....but when taking the pain pill, also take stool softeners with them!!!  Also try metimeucil 3 times a day....

Well the first day, i did take the pain pills, along with the stool softeners, etc....Well that did not help me with my first BM!!!

So day 2, i took 2 oz of milk of magnesia at 6 am and again around 3 pm...still nothing!  But i ate light, mostly cereals, soups, and mashed potatoes, with broccoli or cream style corn on top of them!!!!

also make sure you drink plenty of water....i drank 6 bottles a day...  Next day, Bingo!  3 or 4 BM's, plus a lot of epsom salt baths!!!  But it helped..

It is day 6 and i can honestly say, my pain is not bad, maybe a little uncomfortable, but tolerable!

I must mention i am 71, and retired, so i am sure that makes a big difference...My husband does everything for me, which is a big help, so all i have to do is sit and relax....

When you are just sitting, always sit on a heating pad.....the more pain you feel, the higher the heat you want on the heating pad....at least to the point where you can tolerate it....

Another thing my doctor did, was put botox in there, which he says, cuts down on the recovery time, and also less pain....

I am able to walk around very well, maybe not that fast, but i noticed i am walking a lot faster today, than say 3 days ago!!!!

I am sure everyone knows, there is going to be a certain amount of pain assocciated with this type of surgery, but from what i hear, they say it is well worth it....

I did hear however, men have more of a problem with this type of surgery, not sure why that is....

I hope any of this helps someone who is going to have this done....

Just think positive, and remember each day, will get a little better, even if it is a "scooch" better, it is something!!

Good luck

Hemroid medical procedures is usually performed in an outpatient medical center or maybe the optician's office, with little or no anesthesia.

Piles might be surgically taken out utilizing a particular stapler or maybe sutures (stiches). Following the hemroid can be taken out, you might have joins in which dissolve independently in addition to gauze packing to lessen bleeding.

Different treatments can include:

A trial into the hemroid to lessen puffiness (sclerotherapy)A new plastic wedding ring about the hemroid in order to stop it's blood sourceBecoming less your hemroid with heat, or maybe deep freeze it with fluid nitrogenSmall medical procedures to deal with your hemroid (hemorrhoidectomy).

Thank you Gemeni, I am going to have surgery in two days, and I was very worry about it, but by reading your history I better. Tanks for your tips, well appreciate it

Hi Gemini71,
Thanks for sharing, i am 66 and having a hemorrhoidectomy in Feb. I am also lucky to be retired and have a carer after my opp.
Just wondering during the op how was your body positioned, was you on your back with your legs in the air like i have seen on utube during this kind of operation.
I was told by someone that their doctor did it while she was laying on her side.
Best wishes and a speedy recovery mearcat.

Hello Gemini71,
Thanks for sharing, you must have been very uncomfortable having the acid reflux during your op, i hope you are healing well.
I am having a Hemorrhoidectomy in Feb for 3 internal hemorrhoids.
My age is 67 this year, i am retired, and thankfully i also have a partner to look after me after the surgery.
Can i please ask how was your body positioned through the opp, was you on your back with your legs raised, and what kind of surgery you had.
Some one told me that patients lay on their side during the op.
But on utube videos of Hemorrhoidectomy, patients are on their back with their legs raised.
Best wishes maryjo47.

I just had my surgery almost 3 days ago. Im 22. I had my first bm yesterday and it hurt so bad!! The doctor only prescribed me percocet and 2 different stool softners. I can only take my pain pills once every 6 hours, but the pain seems to come back faster than that. Im confident I will get better in time, but right now I dont know what I can alternate my percocets with. I cant really sleep at all either, and I dont know if my doctor would perscribed me something stronger over the phone seeing as how I cant really sit in a car that long, and my doctor is 45 minutes away.

I used ice packs and they really helped. You also might ask your doctor if you can use Ibuprofen in between the percocets.

Im alternating the meds, they seem to be helping quite a bit all no feel now is just uncomfortable. I checked to see how they looked, and they went from huge hems to like real tiny, my doc only removed one hem since it was giving me the most problems, hopefully by the 8 im way better cause implant on taking my kids to the circus! Ty for the reply. Ice and ibuprofen became my new buddies.

I am glad I was able to help.

Ok sorry if this sounds gross, but I had a bm today and it was really bloody, there was no blood on my pad, but there was quite a bit on my wipes and in the toilet. Is this normal since I had my surgery 6 days ago? I also didnt have a bm at all yesterday.

Yes totally normal. I had blood on and off till 3 weeks post-op.