Hi there. I had surgery 9 days ago to replace my C-4/5 and C-5/6 and titanium plates attached. I had chronic severe pain in my right arm and mild to moderate in my left. After surgery, I have zero pain in my right arm, numbing sensation in my left index finger, mild left arm off and on ache, moderate left arm weakness, and a sharp, very deep pain where the plates seem to be. I know it is still early so I am thinking after some time, some of these symptoms will gradually subside. I am to be seen by my Doctor tomorrow to remove the staples from my incision because my skin is all of the sudden negatively reacting to the metal - it is very red.  Hoping the scar is not significant. Overall, especially mentally, I am so much better. The deep pain between the top of my shoulders, in my neck, gets pretty intense. It is not constant but there are moments that it seems incredibly unbearable. Has anyone else experienced this same pain? Did it last? I'm hopeful it won't last but had to ask.  

Anyone out there?

I had three neck surgeries as a result of an auto mobile accident - I was sitting still in my car and got rearended by a school bus going 25 mph. My surgeries started in Nov. 2008, and continued through 2009. I had two in the front of my neck and one in the back of my neck. Based on physical therapy and your symptoms (I am no doctor mind you). It sounds like you have something called "myofascial syndrome". My physical therapist explained to me how each vertebrae in the cervical spine is linked to muscles in your shoulders and arms. When an injury or trauma to the spine occurs, your muscles take over the job in protecting the injury. This causes stiffness, weakness, numbness, and in my case pain as well. Some of my pain was relieved through physical therapy exercises that were basically quite simple - different types of stretching to help make my muscles more flexible. Also a tens unit or moist heating pad (after you are released by your doctor and given the okay) can help. I hope I have helped you in some way. My physical therapist was much more thorough on explaining how everything worked together as opposed to my surgeon.

Yes, you have been helpful. A year later, after surgery that surgery, I found out they caused permanant damage to my C-7 so this year has been pretty incredibly cruddy. I will have pain and symptoms of the numbness and weakness forever in my arms (more right than left). I was advised to retain a neurologist and a pain psychiatrist to help. I wish I had taken more time before agreeing to the surgery and investigated more viable options. I know nothing is guaranteed when you go for surgery but the aggravation after the fact, ugh. I don't have the intense pain I did have before but it is a different pain. All frustrating but one day at a time. My friends and family are patient when I send text messages and they are always misspelled. I hope things are better for you Lynne.