I am expected for surgery next week, fusion of c3-4, c4-5, c5-6. Removal of large bone spurs. I'm a 47 year old woman, who is branch admin/office manager of 120 + and wondering if quality of life will be the same. Very nervous. I've been dealing with minimal pain, numbness down both arms for a few years, shoulder pain, damage to right arm, but still function pretty well. Degenerative disc disease in spine. Bone spurs pushing into esophagus when swallowing, now muscle spasms, Get dizzy at times, tinitus. Will fusion take this all away? Dr. is located in Med center in Houston, came highly recommended. Confident he can perform surgery, but not sure if this is best route to take. Any information from experts or those that have had procedure, I would appreciate your feedback.[/list]

It would not be realistic to expect surgery to fix all of your symptoms. I have had two levels fused at c4-5 c 5-6 and now a stand alone peek cage at the c3-4. I have radiculopathy and facet joint damage, so I stll have some pain, fasiculation, and muscle weakness and loss. I have had EMG and NCS...i guess is what I am saying is this is not an exact science. I hope it goes well.

I too will be having same type of surgery, would like to know how everything went, and how you are feeling now.

Had all three done 2 wks today, It was done at Houston Victory Medical Center, But with a Doctor from Beaumont. Feel great. no pain meds after 2 days.

I am a 47yr old male, i have had 3 levels fused c7-6, c6-5, c5-4. I am now going to have a 4Th surgery to c4-3.... i want to let you know that yes you will get some relief from some of your systems but other will develop after the surgeries. i have had one surgery after another. first surgery i had a server bulging impinging on a nerve at c7-6, which the doctor fused with a cadaver bone, which my body rejected. still continued to have pain down my left arm, come to find out that the doctor did not remove the bone spur... doctor decided not to see anymore (strike 1) then other doctor repaired that error with corner stone cages, which he fused two levels at once, then developed swallowing issues becasue of the hardware between my spine and my esophagus i started to wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air, pain moved to the back of shoulder blades (strike 2) then doctor removed hardware, then fused level c5-4, whit dis solvable plates, now i have developed pain at my mid to right side of my neck traveling to my right shoulders (strike 3)but not done yet!!! i have developed sever sleep central and obstructed apnia due to all the pain meds i have been on since 2006. Now i have gone to the Mayo Clinic in jacksonville Fl, 6 hrs away to get treatment because no doctor in my area wants to see me. I have been told that i will be needing another surgery at c4-3 to relieve the pain in my neck .... if this does not work then i will out of the game!!!!!! Please think hard about what your going to go through .....

Had 4 levels done in 2008. I am having the same symptoms you are having, after the surgery. My surgeon vanished to another state, and because of the amount of surgery done, I can't get another Dr. to care for me for fear of, I guess, being sued. will you have a titanium plate to "hold" your neck in place. I have a very long plate still in my neck.

just had neck fusion on c3 4 c5 6 everything went well home in one day little sore no pain in arms

I have had a double fusion c5 to c6 and c6 to c7 now 3 years later numbness in hand and right arm. Had MRI and surgeon stated I need c3 to c4 and c4 to c5 fused. He also said I need c7 to t1 fused but wants to wait 6 months for that as a 2nd surgery would like to see if want be needed due to cutting back rather than neck. More intense.