I underwent anterior cervical spine sugery C-5, C-6, C-7 after breaking my neck from a fall; replacing C-6 with my own bone graft from my hip.

It has been 18 months since the surgery and I get pain (an 8 from a 1-10 scale) between my shoulder blades in my upper back which feels like it is below where my neck broke.

To try and ease the pain I squeeze my back muscles as hard as I can, slowly bend every which way (mainly backwards) and stretch for the sky with my arms above my head to elongate my spine to temporarily relieve my pain.

When I do these things my spine pops, cracks, and sometimes sounds like my vertebrae slides or slightly grinds back into place making me feel better temporarily.

In my 6 month follow up, the surgeon said everything looks great from the x-rays that were taken. I didn't get to mention any of this to him because I wasn't having these problems until about 12 months after surgery.

What could all of these sounds/pains be? Should I be worried? Do you think exercise like pull ups/ back exercises would solve this? Posture/back brace? Any other advice you would like to share would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time!

Hi and welcome to the forum.
You have a quite conditions over there. The exercises that you have mentioned are ok, but you have had a really nasty break of your neck, and every exercise you should consider is good, but i really think that you need to check it first with your doctor or therapist. You might be doing some of exercises that might not be good at all for you neck and back. And this way you might just be doing yourself harm rather then good.
When is your next check up?

Another person on the forum was complaining about similar pains, and I gave her the same advice I'd give you. I think that it's highly unusual that you're still experiencing pain even after surgery, so you should definitely see your doctor about it. I think that the exercises that you're using should be helpful to at least alleviate the pain, but there should be some treatments for you to help more that your doctor can prescribe. Keep us posted!

Thank you for the responses... I am taking everyone's advice and going to see my doctor. Someone said it might be a pinched nerve and I think they might be right. I will let you know what the doctor says when I see them.

Hi Nicholas, This is such a long time since your post so I'm unsure whether you will see it, however I experience exactly the same thing as you - the pain between my shoulder blades that has horrible cracking sound effects which can be heard when I squeeze the muscles together and stretch. Did your doctor ever tell you what this is? Would be so grateful to hear back.

I have same sound! Goes all the way up wjen it cracks, and about month 12 after c-6, c-7 fusion with 2 plates four nails and a "mesh box" around c-7, I now experience so many neuropathic pain symptoms its almost unbearable. Very different from first 9-12 months of recovery. now my neck creaks when i turn my head, the pain is shooting and causes numbness from ear to shoulder to elbow to fingertips. Fingers turn blue and are cold while getting numb at times my neurosurgeon just finally busted my bubble and said (after over a year) that these symptoms may be here for the rest of my life..