I had cervical spine surgery in july of 2007. I had a cervical disectomy, fusion and titanium plate at levels C6-C7. The pain is so much worse then before the surgery in myneck, shoulders, upper back and my left arm. Sometimes i have tingling sensations in my left arm, middle finger, forefinger and in my left foot. My movement to the left is very bad and painful. My movement to the right is limited and hurts, but not as bad as the left. I cant sleep well at all. I ache, I hurt. I take sleeping pills my doctor perscribed, I might get 3 hours maximum of sleep per night. I wish I would have never had the surgery, the pain is aweful. I cant do the things i use to. Is there anyone out there with the same problem? Ive had 3 cervical ESI"s, no help, only bad side effects.

I too had the same surgery at C4-C5 and have had constant pain in Left side of neck, shoulder and upper back.. My surgery wasdone in Dec. 09 and it has been 3 mos. with same pain and worse since I HAD THE SURGERY. i TOO WISH i HAD NEVER GONE THROUGH THIS SURGERY AS I was not nearly in this kind of pain and discomfort prior to this surgery. I even feel like I have something pushing against my throat. My voice is even weaker and find it difficult to talk at times. What options do I have. The doctor keeps saying it will get better and it hasn't.

I had cervical fusion as well. It was done in Aug. 2007. No relief and LOTS more pain since then. Pressure and constant pain in the throat area, also lots of phlegm and sore throats, clicking followed by headhaches from hell... I still get the shooting pain and tingling into my left arm and right leg with lots of weakness... The back of my head goes numb. Also there are times where my hearing goes for a few seconds. Sleep is little to none. The one they fused was c5-6, but I have herniations at just about every level in my neck. They did the one they considered to be the *worst* one 8-| So here we are 2 years later and I wish I had never done it. The permanent nerve damage doesnt help either. Pain killers dont even touch the pain. Twitching of my fingers, constantly dropping things, screaming out when that shooting pain decides to do its thing... What relief was the surgery supposed to give?????

I'm having the same problems...the pain 12 mo. post surgery are worse than prior to surgery...now what?

Hi, I had two herniated disks at C5-C6 and C6-C7 I just had C6-C7 fusion with titanium plate. It's been 3 weeks and I still have the same nerve pain in my left shoulder, arm ,hand and fingers. I think the inflammation is causing most of the problem but not sure. The pain lessens if I sit and rest for a while but not with total relief. I'm almost at the point to file for disability because of the pain and I've not been able to work for almost a year, and doctors told me not to file for disability. So what does someone do??? I'll repost if my pain goes away. But for now I wouldn't advise anyone with the same problem as me to have surgery.

:'( I have c6 c7 disc herniation with paralization of my right index finger, and pain and nubness in my right arm and right hand. pain meds do nothing. docs have me on morphin. surgery is an opion that they have talked about. I've heard surgery can make it worse. Is this true, or is the surgery my best route? I need help please. most days death sounds good. My family only thing keeping me going.

WOW... I had the same surgery 4 months ago and am doing fantastic.  I am exercising one hour day and am very glad I had the surgery. So sorry to hear some of you ddn't do so well

Sandra, Miami, FL

im a 34 year old male. i had the c6c7 fusion on 6/14/11. after 3 weeks into it im doing fairly well. i still ache in my upper back. sleep can be a little challenging at first. i find sleeping in a recliner sitting up does me alot better. every tiime i sleep on a bed or couch i wake up feeling like ive been hit by a bus.the doc wont let me drive for three weeks, an im gonna be out of work for six. my optimism is really high. i to have three kids an things have been kinda hectic. with this surgery u cant over exert yourself. to the people consdering this surgery (or any disc fusion) check an then double check your doctors cradentials. ask questions like have u ever paralyzed anyone or caused nerve damage. it is crucial that u find the best doctor u can or the outcome can be disasterous an there u are in a wheelchair or having to catherize yourself everyday. any how things are getting better everyday for me an good luck to everyone out there.

I also had a cervical fusion at the C5-C6 level surgery on Aug 1 2011, and i do not feel any better, i feel the same as before surgery, the tingling, the sharp pain going down to my left thumb, and numbness around my neck, my surgery scar looks awful, and I do not feel any relief, I also take pills for pain, but that does not help, I toss and turn at night, i go to sleep with pain and wake up with pain, I was expecting to get well and return to work, but that is not possible, I too, think was this surgery for nothing

I had the same surgery and out sounds like I have the same side effects, and I also get very little sleep.

Ive had the same surgery just a few weeks ago at c4 c5 c6 c7 and i too still have alot of pain on my left side of my neck/arm shoulder and back. the spasms had stopped after surgery, but started back having them today in my left arm. my injury was on the left side of my neck it effected my left arm/shoulder. i dont have good head rotations maybe in a few weeks it'll get better. i cant turn my head to the left or right too good yet. looking down and up is bothersome to. the surgeon did say the surgery wooldnt fix my problem but it would relleve some of the pain. so im hoping in a few more weeks the pain will lesson. going on my third week and the pain is worse now then before surgery. so i guess it's gonna just take longer to heal. i still have little problems swallowing also. i cant stand all this..........

dont know y most of thesepost say edited by tresa lynn crum. my name shouldnt be on here like that. ive only posted once but my name is under most of these post. dont know how to delete that problem

I had a 4 level fusion (thanks to a drunk driver) and had continued pain because (4) levels is almost unheard of for a fusion. My first (2) level fusion had failed, and then the level above that went as well. I changed neurosurgeons, and found Dr. Onyiuke @ UCONN in Farmington, CT.

That being said, my wonderful neurosurgeon sent me to Dr. Eric Grahling, in Plainville, Connecticut. His office is a Comprehensive Pain Clinic.

He performed "RADIO FREQUENCY" on (5) levels, and I am doing much better. It was not even painful to have it done. He will give you a mild sedative 45 minutes prior to the procedure. The pain is GONE immediately after.

I think you all need to look for a pain clinic, but find out who is good. I had gone to another clinic that said "you do not qualify, because your insurance will not pay". That is plain "BULL". Dr. Grahling got me approved the same day, and I am forever appreciative of him, and all of his office staff. If you are not happy where you are, or are not getting relief, leave and go someplace else. You have to research and ask for referral to the best of the best.

The vibe is POSITIVE, and he gets right to business. There is a light at the end of this frustrating tunnel. You have to be aggressive and stick up for YOU.

Quote:

Guest wrote:

I had mine also c5-c6 and Im soooo the same issue done 4-2011, My life is worse,can't hold my grand babies and Im a nurse who drops the lightest items at random.

I must agree whole-heartedly that you must be your own advocate when it comes to your health...investigate your doctors...for those who can afford to travel (I know this option is not possible for the majority) look into Virginia Spine Institute...my assesment is that they are the best in not just the nation but also the world. They are world class surgeons. From personal experience they have cleaned up other surgeons botched work, saving my mother's life, she was actually about to die. People fly in from all over the world to see these surgeons. Even if you cannot travel, see their website, they lay everything out for all to see about not only themselves but also information that could help you to be your own best advocate of your health. Website: www.spinemd.com