I HAVE TO HAVE "ANTERIOR CERVICAL FUSION ON MY C4-5 AND C5-6 DISC. I AM SCARED TO DEATH OF HAVING IT DONE. SO FAR MY PAIN HAS ONLY BEEN IN MY NECK CAUSING MY SHOULDER MUSCLES TO SPASM. NO TINGLEING OR PAIN DOWN MY ARM YET. BUT I'M AFRAID IF I DON'T HAVE THIS DONE IT WILL GET WORSE. I'M ALREADY IN CONSTANT PAIN. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS HAD THIS SURGERY RECENTLY AND HOW THEY ARE DOING? I HAVE SEEN SOME SCARY REPLYS IN OTHER SEARCHES. MY HUSBAND SAYS THAT I NEED TO GO AHEAD WITH THE SURGERY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Hello, This is too weird, I too am being recommended by my surgeon to be doing the same identical surgery, looking at your Date posted, it seems like we are both suffering at the same time, I dont know what happened to me to cause all this but all of a sudden about 5 weeks ago my left arm started feeling numb and tingly, shortly thereafter - very quickly within a 5 day period I suffered a severe loss of Motor Functions in my arm whereas I could not lift anything, currently I cannot point in the sky with my arm, in order to get the arm to point up I have to use my right arm to help it get there. I am not getting any better and its been 3 weeks in trying alternative medicine- ie acupuncture, Traction, muscle stem, PT etc. I am really curious to see if you have any simillar symptoms, I totally agree with you on the scared part, I was beyond scared and have come to realize that surgery may be my only option for recovery. Thanks for your time

Hello to both i just recently had this surgery and im am on my way to recovery was scared also i was injured @ work i had the pain in neck but also numb fingers and shooting pain down arm but there is also some steroid treatment that can help it all depends on how bad the herreation is
just take a deep breath all wil be ok

I was injured in a helicoptor combat mishap. I fell 28 feet to the ground with a 76 pound pack straped to me. To make a long story short I had the same surgery on C-5&6 fusion consisting of a false replacement disc , a titanium plate and some screws. I still have considerable pain and discomfort, however it is nothing like the intolerable pain before. My range of motion is very limited now along with the lose of feeling in my left hand ring and pinky fingers. I am glad I had the operation considering the alternative option of eventual total loss of my motor skills throughout. I hope this might be of some help to you and good luck. SemperFi

After years of pain in neck, shoulders, and upper back after a auto accident. I was recommended to a doctor who did a diskogram on me and confirmed I would need anterior disectomy and fusion on C5-C6. I had the surgery on 3/23/2009and immediately after waking up in the recovery room, I quickly realized I couldnt move my legs and no control over most of my body. I would fall when I tried to walk and couldnt use my arms. I had so much pain radiating down my spine, it felt like someone was holding a blow torch on it. I went back to the surgeon who did an MRI and immediatly admitted me back in the hospital on 4/1/08. I was told that the spacer that was put in was too large and it overextended my spine and the longer it stayed overextended, the worse damage would be caused. On 4/3/09, I had the correction surgery in which the spacer was removed and 2mm were shaved off and put back in spine. After the surgery there was immediate relief on my spine but I was in more intense pain then before both surgeries. I was kept there for a few days and sent home with a walker. I am 28 years old and feel like Im 80. Im still in chronic pain everyday. I go to Physical Therapy 2 days a week but still not able to return to work. My plate has not fused yet and it has almost been a year. Because I am not fused yet, C4 & C7 are rubbing the plate and some fluid is leaking from these disc and the are now buldging. I go next month to have new x-rays done to see if I have fused yet. If I do not fuse, Im not sure what will happen. My doctor does not want to talk aabout another possible surgery so I dont know what the furture holds for me or when I can return to work. This is very frustrating and has taken over my life. I have lost 40 pounds since surgery bc of the pain level and anxiety I go through daily. Im 5'11 and barely weigh 100 pounds now. All my specialists see me wasting away but dont seem to be concerned. Meanwhile, Im watching life pass by. I was very active before the accident. I was a yoga instuctor and rode horses competively. Has anyone else expereinced this before or any suggestions for me? I am desperate!!!!

I have been told I have to have that surgery too . Heard better things about it than bad . I really dont want to do it cause it may nottake care of my pain. Roz

I'm contemplating this same surgery ACDF for C5-C6; but, no one is stating which type of surgeon they used or the hospital. Since an orthopedic surgeon or a neurosurgeon can do this procedure, it would be good to know which surgeon and hospital performed your surgery.

Hi, I have had two surgeries to fuse C-4,5, and 6> The first one was done by The US Ski Team Spine surgeon anterior along with a neuro-physiologist?

The neuro guy was there to monitor the cutting and make sure that they stayed away from any errors with the spinal chord or nerves. Immediatley had relief and very happy I had it done. The fusion was with grafted cadaver bone.  This was in 03.

2007 I had a second surgery due to the non-fusion and the cadaver spacer was just slipping around in between one of the fusions. I had a partner in the firm do it posterior (Back side) this time. He used part of the spinous processes that he cut from C6 to use instead of cadaver bone.

I pointed out on the pre-op x-ray that it looked like the disc between C-6 & 7 was really thin and my Dr. said he would not do that one too, I was too young and it would decrease my mobility.

Post-op X-ray Same Doctor poited to the same area C6&7 and said that we will probably have to go back and do that one at some point.

I wanted to punch him right there!

TODAY April 2011 I have an appointment w/my Surgeon to get the next surgery going. The disc is totally gone and my neck actually gets stuck in a position if I turn my head to the right. I get really loud pops when the vertebrae move...fun fun fun.

I have maintained on 1/2 10mg lortab daily and lots of ibuprofen over the last 7 + years. I am a very active 49 yr. old woman that does not sit still.

The key to staying with out pain is to keep your core strong and the muscles that hold it all together. I find if I don't do crunches for a week, I start to hurt more.

I am very weak this time in my hands>Frustrated that I have to go in again and a little scared.I have read where people have had the entire C-spine fused.

My question is for anyone that has had several surgeries...anyone out there that has had to go back a few times and what were your results?

Thanks

Steroid shots are just a band-aid. I felt so great, had extreme energy and over did it! HUGE. Also, coming down off of them I reacted like PSA/after school special why not to do steroids. Extreme moodiness, OMG :-)

:-) 

Lisalaketahoe wrote:

when was your first surgery done i am so scred my surgery didnt work no better after 1 month actualy worse numbness in both arms now....

I had the exact same surgery 13 years ago. I lost minimaln range of motion of my left shoulder. I always had a dull ache in my lower neck and upper back. I was able to return to a very active life with no restrictions. MRI summer of 2011 revealed breakdown of the gratf at C5-6, discs at C6-7, C7-T1 were shot, C7 was sitting 50% too far in front T1 causing alot of pain and weakness in both shoulders and arms. 6 months ago, January 2012, I had a plate place anteriorly from C5-T1, rods placed posteriorly from C4-T1, with the wire baskets filled with "bone dust and goo" to replace the discs. I have lost further range of motion of my left shoulder, with a fair amount of pain with stretching to the max. Dull ache of my lower neck radiating across my traps. Hoping to regain most of the range of my shoulder. Doc says a full year is necessary for max recovery.