My name is Brenda and I'm 36, I have a very devoted... patient husband and 2 children, a sweet girl Ashley; 17 and a beautiful boy; Aaron, 14 who has multiple handicaps.

August 2003 I had a go gart accident which cause my neck to snap sright to left hitting my shoulders hard with a helmet on. Pain was getting worse and worse so I had an MRI which showed my c6-7 disc was out over 8mm and several little pieces from the disc had chipped off and floated around the nerves causing the pain to be more severe. About 10 mo's later I decided to have the surgery after several days of not being able to lift my head up from my pillow.

2004 - I had an Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion with a titanium plate placed in front of the synthetic graft to keep it from slipping.

I felt much better after the surgery with the exceptions of loosing my voice for 4 months, a phlebitus infection from my IV in my
left hand that I kept asking to be removed because it was painful, red & stinging up to my elbow, I had panic attacks, terrible anxiety, depression, UTI & 14 days of :-) Constipation :$ due to the anistesia. I have no doubts about My husband truely loving me after all of that. o.O

Oct 2004-present - I have moderate to severe pain almost daily. My c5-6 disc is herniated apparently because of the plate making my neck to stable, I have a Bone Spur, Occipital neuralgia, Arthritus, Facet Disorder, Degeneritive disc disorder, Depression and I'm on so many pills that I hate to open my mouth and swallow them!

I have had many CT's and MRI's with final result being no surgery will help. SO basically I'm stuck with the chronic lifelong pain of relaxing (being bed ridden) and I can never lift my son again. SUX

i too am 35 had cervical anterior discectomy and fusion c5, c6, c7 titanium plate and screws, surgery was done in April 09 and i am still dealing with problems! i have been unable to work, cant swallow, hoarsness, cant feel my left arm or fingers, have something diagnosed as RSD in my right arm, i suffer from fine motor tremors, and not to mention the pain in my neck and shoulders. been fighting for disability, i have 3 small kids ages 5, 7, and 11 and a wonderful husband, i too am on numerous medications and can;t pick up my kids or live a fully functional life.

In September 2009, I had my third cervical anterior/fusion surgery. I have the titanium plate w/screws at C4-5, and Metal Rods w/8 screws at C4-7. The first two surgeries, the doctor went through the front. The last one, he went through the back...which was very painful. I am still experiencing the sharp pains in my neck as well as the numbness in my left arm and shoulders. I've been out on temporary total disability and at this time, I don't know if it'll become permanent. Sometimes, the pain gets so bad, I just lie in the bed and cry. I'm sick of taking pain meds. At this point, I just don't know what to do.

Have you asked the surgeon to remove the plate to help with the swallowing/choking issue?

cervical anterior/fusion surgery, Well I too had a surgery done similarly with a plate large enough to hold discs at two points
and number of screws, it is a complicated process lot of nerves pass by, it takes over a year, of course with good walking
after the surgery, I used to walk on abandoned unsed rail tracks to maintain balance and increase sensitivity ofcourse my lef legs toes
and bottom of my feet experiences numbness, but you must wait for 2 yrs for complete recovery.