Hi, my mother has an arm pain, and doctor told her that she will probably need an anterior cervical fusion. Is this a dangerous surgery? How does this surgery look like?

Hi, I know about this anterior cervical fusion, my husband had it. It is very common surgery that is performed in the cervical spine. They performed it after removing the disc between the vertebrae. The space that was now empty, was refilled with a block of bone that is taken from some other part of the body. Anterior cervical fusion relieved my husband’s pain and discomfort, and he didn’t have any more problems with arms and neck. His bones healed well because he was avoiding any movements. A doctor said that it’s the same process as healing of a broken bone. He was wearing a brace for several months, and it was very hard and uncomfortable. They also put some metal plates to the front of his spine, to improve the success of anterior cervical fusion.