Hi. I had anterior cervical fusion on C2-C7. I was in the hospital, and now I am home. I still need time to recover. My doctor recommended me walking. Is walking good for me after ACF?

Hi. Walking is the best exercise after ACF. I had ACF and my doctor told me to increase the distance every time I walk for a bit. I was also climbing the stairs when I was able to. You can even have sex during the recovery period, but you have to avoid positions that strain the neck or cause pain. I was feeling discomfort, but it is normal, as you are returning gradually to normal life activities. Pain, however, is a sign to stop doing what you have been doing. My neck still hurts a bit, but this you can expect until the inflammation subsides. Recovery requires an effort to increase your strengths.

I am so glad you wrote in! I just had the same c2-c7 cervical anterior fusions with cadaver and coral bonesgrafts, fused with one large steel plate and 10 screws. I am in my 7th week and am still have major shoulder pain on my left side.

Is there anymore people in their 40's or 50's who has had 4 or 5 cervical fusions done at once?

I have been searching for 2 months now trying to find someone to talk to who has had as many cervical fusions at once some answers. My doctor said there were a only a few out there.

I am 44 yr old female who usually is very active. I feel like I am going to jump out of my skin or hurt myself trying. I am suppose to go back to work next week and I do not know if what I am feeling or the amount of drugs I am still taking is normal.

I take oxycotin 20 mg twice a day and loritab 10mg in between for break through pain. They do not get rid of it but it makes it managable. It is the same as before the surgery so I feel like I need to get back to being active, going to work etc...

I dont want the pain to control my life! I want to move on and deal with it. I just don't know if I am rushing.

My doctor put me in a soft collar after 6 wks- what about you?

How are you feeling like now? How is your recovery going? Are you back to doing a lot of what you did before?

:o

I would like to tell you about my experience with multiple cervical fusions I just turn 48 in dec 07 in 1985 I had on the job injury had c5 and c6 fused used on bone from my hip because of the surgery it blew disk c-4 c-3 and c-6 out so in 1993 I had 4 levels done including the first one c-5 and c-6 I have suffered ever since with chronic pain I am now wait to see if they can fix my other disk my doctor just shook his head when he seen my mri 1 month ago he might not be able to help me with it. I find out 1-14-08 and will let you know I pray what happen to me does not happen to anyone else because it never did get better it got worse.

Wow, lots of people having problems....I had both the anterior and the posterior fusions done with metal plating , bone grafts, and screws....the anterior did not take away that deep scapular pain so I had the posterior done.....talk about pain, the posterior one caged the neck in basically. I had 3 done in the front and 4 or 5 in the back. Just got out of the hospital, stayed in about 15 days....dr took off collar 3 weeks after surgery.....in alot of pain, muscle spasms always in neck, having the numbness in the hands again, same symptoms as before. I was told you should know if the surgery helped 2-3 months after you have it although everyone is different.....

I had an anterior fusion of C5-6, C-67 in March, 2003. My fusion did not take after using cadaver bone, so they fused again in Dec., 2003, using my own bone. It worked, but I was never pain free. I just had C4-5 fused 7 weeks ago because it was competely out of line & I was experiencing severe shoulder / arm pain that fluctuated from left to right. I am still have some pain off & on, but I'm told it takes time for the nerves to recover. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed it will be a big improvement from the past when everything heals. I'm still wearing collar and may have to for another month - dr. is being extra cautious since my first fusion did not take. I'm not expecting to be completely pain free, but just hoping for vast improvement.
Good Luck!

I had anterior fusion on C3-C5 two years ago and had C6 fail 13 months after the first surgery. I have only been free of pain for about two weeks. then a time of recovery I started phiso and C6 failed and I had to go through it again. It has been a year and I am still in a lot of pain and have been trying different pain meds. I am taking 40mg oxacodene three times a day and I am feeling C2 is starting to fail. I am quit scared I don't want to go through it again. All the systems in my arms and back seem to improving but the pain in my neck never goes away except when I keep my neck completely still, but as soon as I start walking the pain comes back. I have been told that fusion on C2 is to be avoided if possible. I am 53 has any one have a successful fusion with out pain afterward?

I am going to have a complete fusison of the c2-c7 and the doctor say it willl be a tough surgery ,does anyone have any clues to help me through this and maybe let me know what i might be in for , i am a 46 year old female . thanks for any help anyone can give me .

cowboys1112,

I feel for you. My sister had about the same thing done to her over a year ago and she is still having to go to a therapist to work the kinks out every week. The good news is that she went back to work in about 8 weeks. Other that that you can read my post on "Complete ACDF recovery" to only kind of get a feel for some of the things you will go through. My sis went through the same things I did and I only had C4-6 done.

The differance in your surgery will be that your surgeon will be going in through the back part of your neck which means he has to cut the muscles rather than just moving them out of the way like in mine. So you can expect a longer recovery time for the muscles to heal. Now remember this if you read my post, My case is a slow recovery and not what they expect in my surgery. I am 11 weeks out and still out of work for another 8 weeks and still in pain daily.

And remember that your surgery will be different than any other. Your recovery will not be the same either. No two cases are exactly the same... just close in a lot aspects.

I hope this helps.
Rob

I am 3 weeks post op and although I'm doing better, I am having difficulty swallowing. I feel constant pressure and a lump in my throat. Liquids and soft foods go down best, but even with those I have the need to double swallow and I still feel the discomfort. Any suggestions or a reply from someone with a similar situation would be appreciated.

56 year old male - On Jan 9, 2009 I under went my 2nd fusion - 1st surgery c3-c7 on Nov 25, 2008 failed. The screws pulled out and it was all posterior. On Jan 9, the surgery was anterior and posterior and this time fusion from c2 - c6. My Doctor put me in a halo vest for 10 weeks and I have had no pain at all. The 2nd day after surgery I quit taking pain medication. I have a desk job so going back to work has been no problem. ROM is - looking up and to the right and left is a problem. not being able to look up affects swimming and cuddling. Horizontal movement can be bothersome when driving. I have not started therapy but am walking 2 miles a day and cutting grass with a push mower. Cutting grass does give me a stiff next also because of limited upward ROM.
How are you doing?

Hello Cowboys1112- I"m sure by now you had your surgery. I have scoloisis, which is curvature of the spine. To save my life, 20 years ago, I had 2 steel poles put in my spine, and they fused 7 disks in the thoracic area. It is a tough surgery, and the pain is something that I can't describe, and I had natural childbirth 10 years prior to my surgery. I have fallen, and jolted the rods, and then some woman rear ended me, and broke the vertebrae at the top of my rods. I've been to therapists, mental and physical, and doctors all across the country it feels like. I'm in pain management, with a wonderful Doc ( I fire Docs left and right if they are assholes or don't know what they're doing). I take methadone for pain now, and oxycode to help. I started recieving Botox injections, and that has made all the difference in the world. I am now 52. Unfortunately, I moved back to Nevada, and Medicare here won't pay for it, but in California they did.

Here's what I can tell you- spend money on the firmest bed, and best pillows, including beautiful sheets and blankets. Get a memory foam topper also. You have to get more sleep than others, exercise all the time (no weights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!10#'s is okay, do 100 reps if you want). You have to eat properly. I wash every fruit and vege, always cook with fresh ingredients, and no packaged food. You have to take vitamins daily too. Also, your disks are gone, so stay off concrete floors as much as possible. I can walk for miles on soft dirt. I've tried alcohol, it just makes me feel worse. Stay away from wining, crying, complaining adults, they will make you nuts.

This are hard lessons I've learned, and physical therapists are about the dumbest idiots on the planet. Stretching exercises are critical also, the more limber you are, the better off you are.

Hope this helps, let me know how you are.

ComstockKitty

i'm a wk and 1/2 out of a dbl c diskectomy. Already had triple. last bone insert resorbed, but none of drs. caught it (so my head and spine balanced on plate edge in front and zip in back) so excruciating, debilitating pain for years. 10-15 trigger pts every six wks. all pretty hideous and knocked me out of work and almost every other aspect of life. That's just to let you know i've been there--3 surgeries and quintuple fusions. My most important tips--research your dr. and meet for consulatation. nail him down about post-op pain management. Mine was not just a joke but actually quite harmful to those flaming, scraped tissues. Also, get specific info re swallowing. sounds silly, but i've have a speech lang. pathology degree during the courses of which we learned liquids are the worst to swallow. need a pill--take it in a creamy spoonful of yogurt or pudding. Major--you and your most assertive friend or family member read the pain control orders before surgery. Be sure decent ice packs are available around the clock. My post-op pain need not have been the nightmare it was had the nurses read all the rx alternatives and/or were not too intimidated to call the dr. Good Luck!

when you say c3-c7 how many vertabre are you talking about

Hello, I'm a 33 year old female with congenital cervical stenosis and a reversed curvature of the cervical spine.  I am due to have anterior cervical fusion, all 7 discs realigned and fused next month.  The doctor has told me to expect difficulty swallowing for a few weeks. He said I should be able to walk by the end of the week and back to work in 2 months.  I'm seeing posts on here about cadaver bone grafting which he never mentioned to me.  Is there an alternative to using bone for fusions?  What he described were some type of wedges being put in between each vertebre.  Has anyone else had this done?  I am told my condition is rare, but I'm sure there's someone who's been through this before.