It's been 9 weeks since I had C4-5, C5-6 discs replaced, fused and plated. I had severe spinal cord impingement in these areas. I was told that the surgery was "preventive", in that it would stop any further symptoms I was having. I have a good deal of DDD throughout my spine.

Surgery completed, home in 3 days, Miami J collar for 5 weeks. X-rays showed fusion taking place nicely. Arm pain was gone, walking was much better. Been back to doing light duty stuff only - putterin around the house, etc. I was doing well till about week 7. My left hand was fairly numb prior to surgery. Now both hands are very numb, and my fingers feel like they're frost bitten. Very painfull. And they've gotten very week in a short time. Also, I have topical numbness on the left side of my abdomen and lower back. Very strange. Numbness also on the top of my left thigh. Last 2 days, I'm feeling numbness in both ankles.

Neursurgeon going to start me on Nuurontin. From what I read, cervical spine surgery aftermath brings on a wide assortment of issues and varried aches and pains. And it takes many months if not longer, to re-coop completely. Are these problems I'm having just that? Or do I have further medical problems. I also have a herniated disc at C6-7, but was told it herniated sideways and is not near the spinal cord. Could this have changed?

Any comments woud be appreciated.

Dear bass player.
It has been a year since you posted you symptoms after neck surgery.

How are you now? My husband is experienceing the same problems and he had the same surgery Sept 11, 2007.
Thanks for any input
Dianne

My 80-year-old father was told that he needs cervical spine surgery due to severe encroachment of C4 & C5 on the central canal (as a result of arthritis in his neck). Oddly enough, he has no pain in his neck but has been having balance problems for the past year. I'm concerned that if he has the surgery in a few weeks, he won't be able to make it to his only grandson's bar mitzvah two hours away that will happen four weeks post-surgery. The doctor thinks that he will be OK to attend but I am skeptical. The best time for him to have the surgery would be in January, about five months from now, but I'm wondering if it's unwise to wait that long. He's going for a second opinion tomorrow. Any comments from someone who's had the surgery? Thanks.

IT HAS BEEN 1YEAR SINCE I DID POSTERIOR CERVICLE FUSION SURGERY. AND NOW I NOTICE I HAVE A DENT ON TOP OF MY INCISION SCAR ON SHOULDER. IS THIS NORMAL?

I too had a cervical fusion with plates and screws at c-5,c-6, and c-6,c-7 levels. Prior to the surgery I had unbearable pain in my neck and numbness and pain down my left arm and into my fingers. Afterwards I was told by my surgeon that eventually I would have trouble with the discs above and below the fusion, just due to the fact that the discs above and below would become weak. My best advice to you would be to get a second opinion and a new MRI. I had my surgery in 2007 and the relief was phenomenal. I recently was in a rear end collision, I being the one who was rear ended and now I have a bulge at. I had suffered with the pain and numbness for over 7 years before I could find a doctor to order a simple MRI.