I am suffering from chronic rhinitis and depression. For treatment of chronic rhinitis I usually use Diphenhydramine to reduce congestion in my nose and sinuses. But I have heard that Diphenhydramine also has antidepressant effect. It is really true? How can it be? Can I use it to treat my depression?

Diphenhydramine (Benedryl) is an antihistamine. It works by blocking the effect of naturally occurring chemical histamine in the body and reduces congestion. There are similarities between antihistamines and antidepressants, and yes, Diphenhydramine really has antidepressant effect but mild. If you want to treat depression try something stronger like Prozac. In combination with antidepressants Diphenhydraminecan cause drowsiness.

diphenhydramine isn't benadryl.. it's just what causes the drowisiness.

In response to "arlin" and "rianon" - 1) while diphenhydramine helps with the effect of allergic rhinitis (hay fever) that causes congestion, it should be understood that it does not directly reduce congestion - a decongestant such as pseudoephedrine would be necessary for that; 2) diphenhydramine works reasonably well as a sleep aid as well, but is not noted as being effective as an antidepressant, though it does have a mild anxiolytic (anti-anxiety / tranquilizer) effect.

In response to "guest" - Benadryl most certainly is diphenhydramine!

Do your history of pharma research. The very first antidepressants (TCAs) were equally antihistamines too.
Newer research is demonstrating that that perhaps 1/2 (or more) of garden variety clinical-depression is linked to elevated histamine and cytokines(inflammation). This more recent body of growing and confirmed research has swayed some doctors that for some depression is a symptom of a real and underlying medical issue.
FTR - Dr Flegr's work has pretty much proved the majority of schizophrenia is parasite caused. Parasites are vastly understudied in western medicine, and there is growing research that some forms of depression & BPD-II are the result of parasite disruption of Gastric Biome, thus under nourishing neuro-chemistry which is why NSSRIs/SSRIs are assistive but do not cure...