My sister has problem with depression last few years. I’m worried because she is using so many drugs. Is it so necessary? I read somewhere that Niacin is useful for this problem. Can you use Niacin as an antidepressant? Is it possible to cope with depression without antidepressant? Can anybody answer on my questions? Thank you!

Well, I believe that everything is possible when you trying hard enough. Niacin is a type of B vitamin and it’s assists in the functioning of the nerves. Also it’s well known that niacin is very effective in crossing the blood-brain barrier. I heard that many depressives find relief with supplements of such neurochemical boosting nutrients as Niacin and vitamins B1, B6 and B12.

Hallo,
Niacin is a vitamin, to be more precise it is vitamin B. I know that niacin is used for many things, among others for lowering cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood. Now she has to know that there are several depressions as well so Niacin might be useful in some way to treat this condition but I doubt that it can replace your antidepressants permanently. It would be advised that she to talks to her doctor about this and see if he or she suggests that she adds niacin as a supplement to her therapy for depression. How long does your sister have depression? How is she copping with her condition for now?
Good luck to you both

Yes it does, antidepressant drugs are really bad for you. Can't find the quote but a psychiatrist said: "the only difference between a patient with a depression on drugs and one not on drugs is that the one on drugs doesn't care anymore about being depressed." Yes niacine can help but you have to take large doses 3000 mg or more per day, some people need twice that amount.