Hello everyone,

I've recently noticed that I have been drinking more alcohol than I usually do. It actually started once I started using this antidepressant called Cymbalta, I hope that you guys here are familiar with it? Anyway, I don't know if my alcohol intake increased because of this medication, what do you think, is that possible? I already read some things on the internet and the opinions of the people who were or are using Cymbalta as well are divided.

So I wanted to post my question here and see if anyone here knows anything about this, I appreciate your help.

That is one thing that I don't like about Cymbalta (I know about this medication a lot because my wife was using it for a medium period of time). Cymbalta makes you want to drink alcohol more, I have no idea how does it do that but it does, and it wouldn't be such a big deal if the combination of Cymbalta and alcohol wasn't that bad. Cymbalta + alcohol can do a lot of damage to your liver and the doctors will always tell you to avoid drinking alcohol if you are using this medication. I guess you can always fight your thirst for alcohol.

My honest advice to you is to switch to another antidepressant or to stop using antidepressants and start using teas and other such natural remedies.

Cymbalta can cause an increase in alcohol intake, there are a lot of cases in which this happened, but the worst part is that out of all other antidepressants, cymbalta has the most possible side effects. This is why I am suggesting you to try with a different antidepressant or even better, if you can stop using antidepressants, it would be awesome. There are special teas for people suffering from depression, and they are 100% natural.

Yes, it does. It is not a good solution for people who like to drink a lot. Even for those who are not big drinkers, their wish for drinking is going to get bigger and you shouldn't really mix alcohol with this medication, it is not good for your body. Like others have told you, there are so many different antidepressants out there and you should probably try with another one instead of Cymbalta. 

I'd advise you to do a little research about this medication called ketamine, they say that it is a new miracle cure for depression, it might help you.

Yes, I have heard this as well. My sister was using this medicine and she was never drinking alcohol before. But while she was taking Cymbalta, she started to drink too often. I notice that something is not OK with her, but I never could imagine that this medicine can cause it. Very soon, she started to drink like she is out of control. We went to some party and she didn't remember it next day at all. So I convinced her to visit her doctor, to tell him that something is wrong with her. Than he told us that antidepressant Cymbalta cause an increase in alcohol intake. I really can't figure out why?

Hi. I have been using Cymbalta for 17 months. Even if I was reading that I should not drink any type of alcohol while I am using this, I believed that two or three beers can't do any harm. So, I was drinking beer or two and that was it. And I could control it for 11 months. Next six months I started to drink like crazy. Two beers turned to be 6 or 7 beers and my wife started to freak out because of it. We didn't even could imagine that this is because of antidepressants that I am taking. I found this information on the internet, so I decided to tell my doctor that I want another antidepressant.

Guys, I just can't believe what you are saying?!?! I didn't even had the idea that Cymbalta and alcohol are such a good friends. I still can't believe. I was reading about this antidepressant when I was considering to ask my doctor to prescribe one for me, I was reading some reviews about this antidepressant, but I couldn't imagine that he can cause this. Anyway, I am glad that I found this topic in here, because now I feel smarter about this issue. One thing now is sure - I will never let any doctor to tell me that I need to use Cymbalta, even if I am sure that one girl was using it, but she didn't have side - effects at all. 

My friend was in its personal hell with her husband while he was using those antidepressants. He always loved to drink, but couple of cups every weekend was OK with her. But very soon, he started to come home very late and very, very drunk. That started to affect her marriage and she decided to divorce him. He was begging her to make another decision but she was sure that he is cheating on her and she didn't wanted to have anything with him. Anyway, after long talks she decided to give him another chance, but the only reason was for them to see psychologist and marriage counselor. They were talking with them about everything and he mentioned that he is taking antidepressants. When he told which one, everything was clear. They explained to them about this unreal connection.