My mother has fallen into severe depression few months ago, and medications that she used didn’t help. She only got on weight because of them. It seems to me like her condition gets worse and worse every day. I’d like to know which antidepressant is the strongest, because wouldn’t like her to get wrong therapy, in fact not good enough again.

Tryciclic antidepressants like imipramine, nortryptiline, amitryptiline were the first line for treatment of major depression. Newer antidepressants like ssris are as effective as tryciclics, but with fewer side effects. But it is not uncommon that newer antidepressant is replaced with tryciclic, when certain medication is shown as not effective. Mono amino oxidase inhibitors are also used in treatment of major depression, such as phenelzine, tranulcipromine and isocarboxazide. Newer antidepressants are selective inhibitors of serotonin reuptake. They are fluoxetine (prozac), sertraline, fluvoxamine and citalopram. Response on antidepresion therapy is individual, mechanisms of action of these medications differ and doses vary and depend on conditions. All these medications have in common that have delayed effect, which means that full effect of medication, can be seen after few weeks of therapy. Hope that helped.

Dear Guest, nothing is so strong like Amitriptyline,