Hi, my mother has a bipolar disorder. It took us some time to figure out what was happening to her. We just thought that mood swings that she has are a part of getting old. A friend of mine suggested that we should take her to the doctor. And we did. He made the diagnosis, bipolar disorder, and prescribed some medicine but we do not know what they are. The results are not as we expected. The above mentioned friend also suggested a use of antidepressants. I have no idea what they are. Can you tell me which the most effective antidepressant for bipolar disorder is?

Hi, bipolar disorder, also known as manic depression, is a condition where mood swings are present. The thing about this mood swings is that they are rapid. This means that you get very happy (for a reason that is not sufficient for a normal person to feel this way) and all of a sudden sad or depressed. If the depressive episodes are severe, antidepressants are prescribed. Generally they all have the same effect. The difference is in the side effects that they might produce in a certain individual. They also differ in the safety if overdose occurs. Doctors usually have to change several antidepressants before finding the one that suits best for a certain individual. It also takes for up to four weeks before the drug has effect from the first use. Perhaps that is why you are not satisfied with the result of the drug that was prescribed to your mother. For the reasons I have mentioned above, you should be patient and trust your mother's doctor.