I started to take antidepressants lately because of my psychical problems. I just cannot work normally any more without it. However, I am also terribly frustrated with my inability to lose the weight I am gaining on these medications. I wonder if that is normal and if anyone experienced the same situation. Can you tell me if there is any way to control your weight while you are on antidepressants?

I have the same problem and I have mixed feelings as to what to do. I know that weight gain is a possible side effect, of some antidepressants, and I know it would be great we could control it. I was thinking it might be worth consulting MD to see if this side effect is lesser for you than with Zoloft. I have a friend who has been able to keep her weight below pre-pregnancy level, while she was taking antidepressants. She did not experience a weight gain, but she did experience fear while she was on antidepressants. Although she did not have weight problems, she gave me one so good opinion I started to change my mind. She told me if I am wise, I will take this medicine. She said fat and happy is so much better than skinny and depressed. I realized that is true and I stopped be worried about weight control this way. I want to take care about my food intake, about amount and its quality. I also try to exercise as much as I can, but I realized antidepressants are something that I need more then thin figure.

i have been on antidepressants for years,I can go off them for a few months but end up at rock bottom.I am trying to lose weight and am doing all the right things.In 3 months I have only lost 5kg.It is a vicious circle,no matter what I do I can't get the weight off. I have been told antidepressants slow the metabolism,so if I go off the medication I can end up in a very dark place.Is it worth doing that to get the weight off or will another type of antidepressant be better than the Prothiaden I am on.