Women who thought about contraception have always asked two questions: Do birth control make us weight gain? And which pills make us weight gain the least? Doctors have been always reporting that birth control pills do not cause weight gain although most women have experienced such side effect. They would put on weight while on the pill, and loose it instantly once off the pill, which made them get off the pill soon after. Many other women have been reluctant to starting the pills in the first place because of this. New review has been carried out and once again doctors report that birth control pills do not make women put on weight and have acclaimed this belief as a myth. Comparing the effects of the pills and dummy medications in a trial, “no difference was found in weight or difference in discontinuation rates due to weight gain”. It has been found in one trial though, that women may put on 4 pounds after one year’s use. The main reasons for weight gain due to pills have been fluid retention, increase in appetite and extra fat laid down. After further analyses, no causal link between the pills and weight gain has been found.

I use to be kinda heavy, but i lost a lot of the weight two summers ago. Now I am getting on Birth control pills, and I seriously do not want to gain weight. I go to the gym daily, and eat right as well....Is there still a chance i would out on weight? or is there another alt. birth control that will reduce the chances?

I personally have gained over 40lbs due to birth control. I gained 20 from the depo shot, 40 from the pill and 20 from Mirena an IUD. I did try Yasmin pills however and did not gain any weight from those pills. My advice would be to ask your DR about the Yasmin pills. I am sill battling all that weight gain, I've never lost any of it so needless to say I'm 80lbs overweight and having the hardest time losing weight. May I ask what your secret is since you said you've lost alot of weight before.

are the makers of hormonal birth control funding these studies?! i recently used nuvaring for 5 years, and was pleased to lose 10 lbs the month after i stopped. just like that, no change in diet or exercise. eventually, cramps got worse and i picked up the pill again. it's been 1.5 weeks and i've gained over 10 lbs, which i don't even see how that is physically possible (fluid retention i guess). i have plenty of statistics education - albeit not in clinical trials - and i am amazed that across the board tests are not picking up what i believe to be overwhelming anecdotal evidence. There is at least some weight gain among a nontrivial number of women. But let me ask you, who has any interest in demonstrating that the pill *does* cause weight gain? no one.

i have to agree also--i have been taking yasmin for almost two years and i exercise every single day and try to eat healthy--yet i am about 10 lbs heavier than i used to be..i did not change my daily habits and i know my body well enough to believe that birth control is in fact contributing to my weight gain...i am so frustrated with so many doctors and specialists saying how the birth control does not make a person gain weight..maybe they should go on it themselves and experience firsthand what it does

Okay....first of all. Birth Control does not cause weight gain! For those of you that dont know and need to obviously know. Birth Control inserts estrogen and progestin into the blood stream, and does not usually(if taken correctly) release mature eggs, which causes you not to get pregnant. It kind of tricks the body into thinking its pregnant. Therefore it increases your appetite. It is not the pills per se, but your appetite that causes weight gain. If you change your apetite to healthy foods, like fruit and vegetables than you shouldn't have a problem. BC pills have a tendency to make you crave sweet foods, where most ladies weight gain comes into play. So substitute an apple, orange or even grapes for that chocolate. It has worked for me. I have been on the pill for 4 years, (soon to go on the nuvaring, in a week) and gained maybe 5-10 lbs, it varies on what I eat. That also was from going from age 16 to 20. The developmental stage. If you ignore the cravings for chocolate, and salty things like chips, and substitute, fruit or steamed vegetables, than you will not have any weight gain.

Here's how I look at. If I did gain maybe 5-10 lbs on the BC pills or NuvaRing, I would prefer that, over 20-50lbs or more from having a child any day.

Ladies if your looking for taking a contreceptive, the pills wont hurt. If you are seriously worried about weight gain, dont take the DEPO shot. I have never taken it, but I have seen the side effects. The DEPO will almost for sure make you gain lots of weight. Stick the pill or the NuvaRing if your worried about missing a pill.
Heres a good way to remember to take your pill everyday. Put the container on top of your alarm clock. Lets say you get up at 0700 every morning for work. Have it sitting on top of your alarm so its the first thing you gran in the morning. Even if its your day off, set the alarm, take the pill and go back to sleep. That is the easiest way to take the pill at the same time every day. It has worked for me over the past 4 years and I have never had a problem.

Birth Control is a wonderful thing when compared to having to bare the responsibilities of a child!

It has alomot been a year since I've been on the pill and patch all together. And ever since then I've been gaining weight non stop. I used to weigh 130, and now i weigh 185. it is quite apparent that it is the birth control. I have swelling ankles, and it never seems to never go away. I am in the Military and it is imparitive that we must stay fit. It's not like im all of a sudden being lazy. I CAN'T! so with that said, there is something that birth control has an effect of weight gain

I used to weigh 125 lbs, I was on the Depo shot for over 2 yrs, and I am now 25 lbs heavier. I must say that even with exercise and no change in my diet, I have been GAINING weight, I did confront my doctor (who told me 2 yrs ago by the way told me the shot DIDN'T make you gain weight), told me today that it is a common side effect, that it is normal. If I knew this for sure 2 yrs ago, I wouldn't have been put on the shot! SO FRUSTRATING!

ok i just came across this in my search for a birth control that does not make me gain weight. and i disagree with most of you, birth control DOES make you gain weight. whether it is directly or indirectly. the point is, when you go on it you gain weight, or a lot of people do. i was 110lbs for all my life, go on the pill and i jump up to 135, after going off it i am now 118, i never changed my diet, or excersise habit while on or off of it, so in my conclusion the pill was making me store more fat or something. i want to go back on OCP or some sort of birth control but do not want to gain weight again, i can finally fit back into my clothes!!
i may try yaz,.....

I'm 23 years old and I'd been on birth control straight since I was about 17, meaning I never took the plasebo pills and therefore didn't have a period for about 5 years. I have been off bc since February to give my body a break and the natural flow it needs. I never noticed and obvious degree of weight gain that whole time. In fact, I lost about 10 pounds last year because I changed my diet and tried my hardest to be more active. I now float around 145 lbs and I'm 5'7". Much happier than 155 lbs. I'm going back on because just using a condom makes me too paranoid. I'm considering the NuvaRing but am going back to Junel-FE till my OB appointment in December. The point is that everyone is different. I do think its easier to blame a pill for our chosen lifestyles but hard work should put a dent in any scale, as long as you're willing.

I was on tricyclen lo for about 4 months. I never gained any weight but it was making me puke and have serious nausea.. I also fainted two times while on this pill. Now I am on yasmin which is better for the dizziness. However I gained 25 freakin lbs and its really gotten depressing. I also have low to no libido which I heard is a side effect but I'm the only one I know who has experienced it. I am 17 and now i am constantly hungry.. As well as another friend who is on the same pill. I dont feel like i have changed much in my diet but the fat seems to stick on to my hips waayyy more and it really sucks. Im tired of being on the pill but i also dont trust condoms alone. I read recently they Might be making a bc pill for men. Wouldn't that be nice? I am going to try alesse next month and see how it goes with my aapetite.

When I was 16 I went on birth control pills, ortho-tri-cylcen, then switched to the lo version when I was probably 20 or so. I gained a little weight when I was 19, i weight about 140 in high school, then stayed at around 150 until I was 23, which I figured was because I did acquire worse eating habits and wasn't as active. Then planned parenthood no longer offered ortho so I switched to trivora, which made me feel horrible when I was just the slighest bit hungry so I had to eat or else I was nauseous. So after about three months of this and 10 more pounds, I swtiched to microgestin. It did not make me feel as bad but still kept gaining weight. I now weigh 165 and hate it, I have been active for the last 4 months and cannot lose it, even when I eat better I do not lose hardly any weight. So I went to another doctor and switched back to ortho-lo....I have one week left of the microgestin, and can't wait to see if I lose some weight just by switching, and my acne to get better again, when I was on ortho I rarely had acne, now it gets pretty bad sometime....so I guess I'm saying different birth control can react differently to different people, so if you don't like what you're on try switching, but give it at least 3 months to get used to it...I'm hoping I'm down to at leas 155 after I go back on the lo.

I started taking birth control pills only 6 months ago and already i've gained 6 stubborn pounds that no matter what i do they dont go away!! I am weighing 123lbs! and i exercise and eat like I alwasy have and yet i can't lose one pound. Im going crazy!! My doctor told me these pills would maybe even make me lose a couple pounds so I didn't think twice about it. I don't know if maybe there's an alternative that doesn't have as many hormones or something..

This is mainly for miss-smarty-pants a few posts above. Ok, so YOU might be lucky not to gain weight, but that doesn't mean the rest of us have YOUR body type. I'm a first year med student, and let me tell ya what the deal really is. Yes, some lucky, high metabolism-type women do not gain weight. But then again, they wouldn't gain weight eating McDonald's everyday. But what about us "normal" women? Birth control can in fact make you gain weight. Read professional journal articles and medical websites. The headlines state "BIRTH CONTROL PILLS DO NOT MAKE YOU GAIN WEIGHT." But then if you continue to read, they try to explain this phenomenon of why millions of women complain about it. So you get the "water retention," and the "extra thigh and breast tissue," etc. Read ahead and some will even state that your fat cells will increase in size, but not in number. Well, I have news for you... That is called GAINING WEIGHT. Generally, you are born with all the fat cells you are ever going to have. So guess what happens when you store fat? Your cells get BIGGER!!! The only type of hyperplasia (increase in cell number) that occurs in the human body is cancer. On top of that, if you read miss smarty-pant's post, you'll note that she did a nice job of explaining how birth control works. What she didn't tell you is how your body acts when it is pregnant. Since you are preparing to take a 40 week adventure of making a baby, you and the baby are going to need lots of protection. That protection your body gives you IS FAT, which is primarily added to your butt, thighs, stomach and breast. Since birth control tricks your body into thinking it’s pregnant, it’s not just coincidence that you gain FAT when taking the pill!!! Now, here's the other side of the story. Guess what happens when doctors and drug companies start admitting the truth about the pill and weight gain. Oh yea, WOMEN AREN'T GOING TO USE IT ANYMORE!!! And then guess what happens, even more unwanted pregnancies. Well, we all know doctors and drug companies AND THE STICKIN' GOVERNMENT would go cahoots over that, especially since there is an alleged "population crisis" at hand. My personal opinion, telling women that any type of birth control doesn't make you gain weight is just part of the government's political agenda to control the population and prevent a "negative public view" of pregnant teenagers. To me, a pound is a pound, and I don't care if it's water, tissue, fat or whatever else these liars want us to believe. So, at least for me, birth control is not the right option. Maybe when a real non-weight gaining pill is invented, I’ll give it a try. But for now, I’d rather be 30 pounds lighter and spend a couple extra minutes putting on a condom or two.

well i am considering birth control maybe but considering all these stories......i think not

myths
breast enlarge
and weight gain

now for anyone new on BC....I suggest getting a scale and day one weigh yourself stick to your dieting habits and take the pill

day 2 if you gain weight then simple enough is to GET OFF

there