Hi, have depression for many years, and I used several different antidepressants, but since I use paxil, I noticed that it caused my weight gain. I was never fat in my life, and I don’t want some medicine to change it. Did anyone else have the similar troubles with paxil?

Hello, I have used paxil for several months, and it really helped with my depression. However, I am unable to control my weight, and I gained 20 pounds. I don’t know what is worse, to stop being depressed and to be fat, or to be depressed and fit. The ideal solution would be to find another medicine, which would be as affective as this one, without changing my weight. It is not wonder that people in United States have the most problems with weight gain, when so many of them use medications like paxil. But to be honest, this is not just about medicines, the problem is that they don’t move enough. There is not a diet that will help you, if you sit all day in front of the television or in your office and if you don’t do any exercises.

Hello,i have been taking zoloft for atleast 7 years or so.Earlier than that paxil,zyprexa,and prozac.I never was overweight growing up untill 1999 when i was 20.At that time i ,more than than likelywas taking either paxil or zyprexa or started back on zoloft.I say started back because i took zoloft as a child in the early 80's.When i was a kid i more or less ran every day.Playing little league baseball and so on.I did not have aol or any internet back then.I know it might sound unreal.I had an atari,and nintendo but thats as close i came to a computer.Maybe if i did have aol in 1988 it prob beharder to be active.At 18 in 12th grade i was 205 to 215 lbs .I'm 5'7 and a half. i lifted weights and looked pretty damn good.then around 2000 i balloned up to 340.And i started to notice my chest area looking less like a man's chest and more like a woman's chest.So i can sympathize with any man or young boy.And i know what your going through,or went through.

I have been thin all of my life. I have recently switched over to Paxil from Prozac ( I have also been on Zoloft, serzone, and a few I can't remember). The doc put me on Paxil because on Prozac I was still having quite a few anxiety attacks. But now for the first time in my life, I can't control my weight. I am barely eating and still gaining...I am more depressed now than ever. I think I am going to go back to Prozac. This weight issue is going to give me more anxiety than I can handle!

I am a personal trainer and took paxil for 8months. Just like everybody else I gained weight on it. I exercised more and ate even more healthy...nothing was working. I have been off it for 2 months now and still struggle to lose my "paxil gut." I am going to try takin OMEGA 3 AND VITAMIN E which are said to enhance a hormone in the body called LEPTIN. Leptin is a hormone in your liver that helps control weight. Paxil slows this hormone and I have found via internet that OMEGA 3 and VITAMIN E can help jump start it again naturally. Ill let you know how it goes. Write it up if any of you find a way to recalabrate your metabolism post paxil

I've taken paxil since I was 11 and I'm now 22. I started at 10mg and it worked great for me. I gained weight right away but was a happy person and to me that was worth it. Recently I had a change in my life and my doc changed me to 20mg. I gained about 20 pounds in 3 months. I'm trying to go back down to my usual and then eventually off but the withdrawl symptoms get sooo bad that I can't even stand it. I was told that it was gonna be difficult but knowing that the weight will come off with it has been a little extra that keeps me going when the withdrawl gets bad. I wish anyone luck with quitting.

I have been on paxil for the last 3 1/2 years, at first I took 20 mg plus xanax for anxiety. I did not like the xanax so my doc uped my paxil to 30mg and that's when the weight came on. I weighed 117 most of my life now I weigh 145 and I cant stand it!! I just got off paxil a week becuase of the weight gain I hope I can loose it. The medicine does work and I never had a anxiety attack with it but the weight gain and withdrawl symptoms are not worth it. Even if you forget to take it for a day you feel strange i hated it.

I also was on paxil from November 2008 till May of 2009. Awful side affects trying to get off....buzzing motor type sound in the head, couldn't find my words to finish a sentence, just not normal and felt like I was on another planet. That lasted 2 days and I went back on till I started Celexa. But I also gained 12 pounds and can't get it off after being off Paxil for 4 months and off Celexa for 6 weeks. I will use xanax when needed for anxiety attacks and know that it will help quickly. But I also have tried loosing this weight with no luck! Ate healthy and started running 2 miles aday and kept gaining weight!!
I have always enjoyed working out and being active but this is very discouraging. My clothes don't fit!! Just last week I started omega 3 and vit e. Someone told me about this and so I will give it a try. Good luck to everyone!

I have been on Paxil for 1 year and 6 months. I have gained 70 pounds. It would just come on in chunks and no matter what I do (exercise, decrease calories) I continued to gain. I was so depressed about the weight gain that I went to my doctor a month ago to get off of Paxil. This past week was the first full week off of the drug. HORRIBLE withdrawal but I refuse to take another tablet again. I am happy to see that Omega 3 and Vitamin E may help, running to the store in a few hours. I am a lil depressed to see how long it can be in my system continuing this weight gain. Will check back often for updates.

I'm on Paxil....I work out like crazy and my weight has not been going down...I'm trying the Omega and Vitamin E too.........to help regulate leptin....to help lose weight....I'll post on here again to tell whether it worked or not. If it works for any of you guys, please post about it!

I have been on paxil for 8 months and I havegained 60 LBS!!!!!!  I did not know it was the paxil..I couldnt figure out what was going on.  I can see many people have written about gaining weight but does anyone know if you lose the weight easily once you stop the paxil???? If I can lose it as easily as I gained it that would be nice but somehow Im thinking it will not be that easy..

I was on Paxil for 8 months and put on 60 lbs...was on 20mgs, cut back to ten, then quit cold turkey a month ago.  The first two weeks were horrible, and I was a week late for my period ( never been irregular). Just now starting to "feel" again, and working out. While on paxil I was content to work and then come home and do nothing, not even hang out with my friends. Now I talk to people at the beach, grocery store etc., and feel like I have "woken up" from taking paxil. That is a great drug for my anxiety, but i felt it was time to stop as my health and weight were getting out of control. I did weigh 150, now 210. :( I also noticed that paixl "blocked" pain symptoms, ie backaches and sore legs. I am a nurse, and I work ALOT but it wasn't until I stopped talking the paxil that i noticed I had strained my back! It's better now with rest, but I couldn't "feel" anything because of the paxil. I stubbed my toe a few months ago on a dresser and remembered it didn't hurt that bad. Did the same thing last week, hurt awful! So yes I am fat, hardly have any clothes that fit, and feel disgusting, BUT I do feel again, and I have the desire to exercise and get out of the house! - Nurse EM

I have depression.
I use Paxil
I gained 60 pounds.
I was still happy but fat.
I used the DUKAN DIET.
I lost 60 pounds.
It is the perfect "I am not hungry' diet. 
The Dukan Diet was going to be the very last diet I would try before buying size 18.  FOUR previous diet and a dietitian had failed me.  If you use Paxil and want to lose the weight,do yourself a huge favor and try the Dukan Diet.
I amback in my size 6 and amloving every minute of it.  Nothing tastes as good and thin feels.!