I had problems with zits ever since I was a teenager. I used so many creams, gels, went to treatments but nothing helped. Now I was thinking about taking Accutane but I heard that it causes weight gain. Has anybody used Accutane? Can you tell me more about it before I decide to buy it.

It is very good decision that you decided to ask for other opinions before getting accutane. Accutane is used for treatment of severe form of acne after any of the antibiotics helped. But before taking it I would think twice…actually I wouldn’t even think about having it considering all the side effects which are so severe and numerous. I don’t know about gaining weight but accutane can cause birth defects, premature births, and death in babies, serious mental health and brain problems, abdomen (stomach area), bone and muscle problems, hearing and vision problems, lipid problems and allergic reactions. After knowing all of this….I would visit a dermatologist, ask for advice on other kinds of treatments.

I took Accutane and it also causes the worst case of night terrors. I'm still a teenager and it made me depressed and the only thing I saw that was getting better was my acne. I think it's worth it IF youre really desperate and have nothing else to turn to. But a better solution would be birth control with a face wash like, proactiv.

I am a 25 year old male on it for 5 weeks. The only side-effect I am experiencing are dry lips and my acne flaring up in the first couple of weeks. My weight remains the same.

If you are gonna drink a lot of alcohol and eat junk food you will destroy your liver and even get fat, if you're on Accutane or not.

The initial inflamation can trigger some doubt to the drug's effectiveness. I think that the acne, alone, may trigger low self-image and depression, not the drug.

i was on accutane for 3 months and i lost weight i never heard it makes u gain weight, i honeslty think thats a rumour or something then

Everyone is saying that there are soo many side effects. Really, there is but i honestly think it is all in your head about the depression thing, my dermotologist told me that also. But he does ask regulary how my mood is because it his his job. One of my friends' cousin killed himself while on the drug, but I didin't know him personally, but i dont believe you shouldnt say it was from Accutane. He could have been on drugs when he killed him self, or been depressed before he began taking the drug, you dont really know. They just have to put it in the side effects because there have been rare cases whre peopel have commited suicide while takign the drug..I would never not take the drug because of that, you can easily come off of the drug if you are ever feeling depressed. You should be responsible enough to come off it if you are, and if you don't you shouldnt be put on accutane in the first place. I am 15 and going on my Third month of Accutane. I get dry lips, skin, rashes on my arms and i am flushed out every night but you just have to put up with it... when you think about it you only have to go through it for 5 monthes and your skin will be beautiful. Ive only been on it for 2 monthes and my skin has cleared up so much, its incredible. I would deffinitly suggest going on it, it really does good and boosts your self confidence a whole bunch. Theres nothing to loose, if you read the side effects throughly and know them like that, then you will know when a side effect is normal and if it is not. If the side effect seems strange, or you ARE feeling depressed, you can easily come off of the pill. oh and ps.... theres no weight gaining involved...i dont even think its listed on the side effects. The only thing that would casue weight gaining is if you are on birth control (which you should be because if you get pregnate it will cause birth deffects) so it is the birth control making you gain weight...or you just eat alot and dont excersise.. It may however make you loose weight becuase if you dont take stomach pills while on accutane, the drug will irritate your stomach and limit what and how much you can eat, along with alcohol

I have been on accutane now for 4 solid months - I have 2 months left to go. At first the medicine completely dried out my face, causing dry lips and dryness to the inside of my nose. Just keep the chapstick on and you'll be fine! Now that I've been taking it for awhile, I have noticed some very small patches of dry skin on my arms and legs - but keeping them lotioned helps and I have been advised from my doctor that all of that will go away as soon as I'm off the drug. As for weight gain - I have not experienced that for myself, nor have I ever heard of that happening. Actually, at the same time I started using accutane, I put myself on a healthy eating diet and started getting a good daily dose of excercise and have lost 30lbs in 3 months!

Yes, accutane DOES have some very severe side effects - but you CAN prevent any birth defects by taking your birth control and using a second form of prevention (like a condom). Also - you need to make sure that the accutane is completely out of your system before you decide to get pregnant - so wait a month or two after your last dose of accutane before making plans for babies!

Good luck to all of you on this drug. My husband was on it when he was in his teens and now I'm on it (I'm 24) and we have both experienced huge flair ups in our acne while on it...but then it gets better. Trust me - this stuff is not only transforming your face, it will change your life!

I accutane now and i did gain weight... not alot.. but to avoid this you have to really work out n be keen on your diet.. again side effects of accutane vary among ppl.
Like depression is a major side effect but i didn't have any of that. But it definetely altered my lipids(low HDLS and high VDLs).
But in the end, it works ... so depends on how desperate you r....cos sometimes you r just unlucky cos it has effects on cardiovascular, liver, vision, and so on.
(Most of this information is on the data fact sheet that comes w/ accutane)

I am 27 female I and going to be done with a 15 week cycle of Accutane.

month#1
was 40mg a day - I only got 2 pimples and they were less severe than my normal cystic ones, and a little bit chapped lips

month #2
blood test were good so I was upped to 80mg a day and woa chapped lip city and bad headaches. Also sore chapped inner nose and dry eyes, just used a lot of aquaphor. Started noticing dryness on the rest of my body as well, no pimples at all and old ones almost gone.

month #3
still 80mg a day
same dryness, but also ankles and knee joint soreness, had to stop working out, loss of energy, love to sleep, also got 2 stys in my right eyelid, not sure if it is related but I never had a sty before and then all of a sudden two, but the antibiotics made them go away.

month #4
still 80 mg a day
very very dry arms and hands, using baby creme - lotion it helps, however my face sweats a lot especially in the eyebrows and lip/chin areas don't know why- kinda sucks but it is May in Arizona and warming up too. No more headaches, but still muscle weakness and joint pain, haven't been to the gym in over a month and have gone from 140 to 150 pounds - not happy about it but once the weakness is gone Doctor says I can work out and will loose the weight, I may also consider getting off birth control pills too as they do cause weight gain. Maybe people say accutane makes you gain because you can't exercise as much and if youre a girl you have to go on birth control which can cause gain, but I don't think accutane CAUSES the weight to come on. I am still very tried all the time, skin is clear not a single blemish since month number one. I would say the side effects do suck but they are supposably temporary and hopefully I can be back to the gym and loose this weight. I am to be done in

Month #5
80mg a day
no zits, no pimples, no blemishes at all!
Just 2 more weeks and can't wait! I LOVE THIS DRUG but I will be happy to be done with it too! Overall if I had to do it again later in life I surely would!

I'm 19 and on my second go around with Accutane. I was on it about 4 and a half years ago. I'm getting ready to start my second month. Yes, the side effects are a bother (dryness, chapped lips, initial flare ups), but it really does get better! For face dryness try Cetaphil CREAM at night (It works wonders!). Also, my dermatologist told me to use Dr.Dan's Cortibalm for my lips. Most stores didn't have it, so I had my pharmacy order it. It doesn't taste that great (I tend to lick my lips sometimes), but well worth the cost. I never had any weight gain my first go around, but I'm having a little this time. I just did some reading up on the supplement Chromium Picolinate and I think I'm going to give that a try and see if it helps. I would HIGHLY suggest Accutane to anyone who wants to get rid of stubborn acne.

It'd be nice to say I gained 7 pounds from being on accutane for 6 months, but there's more behind this side effect.

Now, if it isn't a side effect, it is a side effect of a side effect--namely, the soreness.

It was harder to exercise because of the soreness brought by Accutane, and the pain pills didn't always help--but I still think I should have been more aggressive about it.

Just so you know, it couldn't be the birth control pills, because I haven't been taking any with the Accutane.

However, I still feel that some of it was water weight from Accutane. Firstly, because I remember reading it as a side affect in the lit (I remember seeing weight loss after this and hoping I got the latter). And, swollen ankles is a side effect, and swelling is caused by water. Thus, wouldn't it make sense that Accutane causes some of us to hold our water (yet *still* get so danged thirsty)?

Either way, I know I can shed the weight again after I finish Accutane in less than a week and the aches go away! (Yayyy!!)

Well, I just started Accutane, and in my first week I lost two pounds! I think it was two pounds of water weight, because OMG I am SO DRY all of a sudden. I am also not taking BC (I pledged to abstain). I think it probably is the BC and the soreness that makes people gain, not the Accutane.

I have been on accutane for about two months now and have experienced some weight gain of about 10 lbs. Not sure if it is coming from being on the drug or something else. So far everything is going good, I had a few headaches at first and my body felt stiff all over but my acne is nearly non existent atm. My first blood test showed my liver enzymes to be a little high but not too bad. I believe the chapped lips to be the most uncomfortable side effect so far. I need to keep a thick layer of lip balm on them at all times. Hopefully my enzymes will be down by the next visit so that I can finish my five months out. If your willing to put up with the side effects and be closely monitored by having your blood drawn every month accutane in my opinion is one of the best drugs out there for acne. The most important thing is to monitor and report any serious symptoms that you may develop to your physician so that you can be taken off the medication right away if your system doesn't do so well on it.

Been on Accutane 2 mths now, Love it to bits. No impact on weight tho' just the dry lips and eyes.

People will respond differently. I think the best person to advise you is your doctor. Besides thay monitor you so closely and adjust the dosage accordingly. At some point I felt tired all the time, so my doc advised me to take the full dose at night. And it works well. The key is to communicate with those that are qualified to advise you.

Good luck:) :-D