Hello! I have been diagnosed ocd. I have been on lithium ever since. Besides coping with the drug, a couple of months later I had to cope with weight gain of 35 lbs. I tried to lose, but it is not working. Lithium is doing me good, it’s just that this weigh gain and impossibility of getting rid of any is a bit annoying. What about you? Did you manage to lose any while on Lithium?

I understand very well how you feel. It was the same for me when I first started Lithium. However, I couldn’t cope with the weight gain, so I joined Weight watchers 3 months ago. I have lost little weight, but am enjoying healthy food intake and exercise, and weight watchers meetings, so I get this problem off my mind a bit, especially because I know I am not the only one, and I have somebody to talk to about this.

oh goodness, i was put on lithium and in less than a year i put on 50 pounds. FIFTY POUNDS. i wasnt only on lithium i was on 6 others. ive been depressed ever since. i am only 15 i was 14 when i started taking them. its hard to go from always being underweight to not being able to wear cute clothes or anything. i tried weight watrchers, ive tried everything, nothing works for me bc i have no self discipline. its deppressing and awful. i hate leaving the house. i sit on the computer all day and hide from people. its embaressing, as im sure you know. ive tried everything.. ive lost hope. i will just have to cope with the fact that i am going to be a fat woman for the rest of my life, with no husband or friends. just my cat.

I relate. I have gained 35lbs and can easily see a 50lb gain in a few months time. At first I felt so horrible being 5'4" and 200lbs. I actually felt suicidal. Something Dr's don't consider. People who are sensitive to weight gain can kill themselves over the negitivity and self hate this generates in us.

If I wasn't regularly going to Overeater's Anonymous meetings, I would have done anything to put an end to these thoughts and feelings. OA meetings are places where we are loved back to health, there's no scales, no one expecting you to do or weigh what they want you to, no charge either. I can go to meetings and stay the same weight and work on changing these negitive thoughts, then when I want to, I can take steps to change my food, or my exercize, or whatever it is I need do to reduce my weight. One thing I hear a lot in OA is, "I've tried everything else, and this is the only thing that works." Here's a website, there's meetings everywhere: http://www.oa.org

Don't be shy, everyone is at 1st, but there's no need, because, the 1st time you walk into an OA meeting you are the most important person in the room, but no one will embarass you, as everyone's privacy is completely respected - that's what is meant by Anonymous in the name. & If the 1st meeting you go to is not what you wanted, try another, there are differences.

Since I stopped beating myself up over this weight gain, I am now in the process of gathering info about how lithium effects weight gain and so far have found that it especially effects people who have thyroid problems and take thyroid medication, because lithium basically nullifies the thyroid medication.

Finding this site is part of my research, I wish you well, good luck and take care of yourselves.

My doctor told me that weight gain on Lithium is nothing compared to Olanzapine. I managed to lose 20 lbs while taking both, attending a slimming/exercise club and on my own. Since Septmber, most of it has returned though no one believes me as I'm more toned thanks to the gym. Trouble is that I gave away or had taken in all my small clothes so I've been left with very few sets of clothes for the office. My thyroid function has improved. I so want to lose the weight but am having little success with sub-zero temperatures and the coldest winter in 10 years.

I understand about this weight gain stuff. I have been on medication for 30 years now. Lithium, and and at diferent times changed off for one of the many anticonvulsants. When I started I weighed 135 and topped out 245. Last year my husband passed away and I was on lamictal. I basically became anorexic and couldn't eat at all. I lost 100 lbs. I had forgotten what it was like to be so trim. I was change off of the lamictal as anorexia can be a side effect and put back on lithium. I've gained 35 lbs. back and I'm scared. I just can not gain that weight back. I'm convinced that doctors or pharmasutical companies care about us at all. Just what ever will make a buck. If they did then the product would be changed. Our self esteems are fragile and can be trigger in and of itself, yet we bear the side effects o weight gain. With other drugs used in combination i.e. antidespresants in the wonderful SSRI class we become numb to sex. So, what sort of quality of life is this? We need to somehow get together and inudate these companies with letters about their drugs. We need to demand a bette quaility of life with our doctors but we have to do it in such numbers as to be heard. A few letters will not get us heard on these subjects. Yes, we become stable, but then what? Go on to therapy now so we can learn to live fat? So, we can learn to live without sex? I don't know about you but physically fat oes not feel good; nor, does the high blood preasure that comes with it, or the cholestrol that goes out of whack. They are good for taking away one poblem just to give us a new spectum of issues to deal with. I liked it when I lost the weight. I looked and felt great for the first time in many years. Moving was easier and I even lost weight in my feet! I have wide feet that are hard to fit and have calluses because of it. When the weight came down finding a comfortable shoe became easier. I don't like the feeling of gaining weight at all and feel angry with myself and with the doctor and pharmaseutical companies. Something has to be done. But nothing will change until we self advocate and demand more reseaech and changes in those drugs that help us; yet, cause a whole new set of issues. Weight gain being one.
Thanks,
Naughty

Hi everyone!

I'm in the same boat.. I've been on Lithium and Remeron for about 18 months and went from my average of 120lbs to as of 3 days ago 174lbs!!!!!!! I'm miserable and think I'm just going to stop taking the Lithium because I would rather have my mania then be embarrassed to go anywhere!! Is anyone else Bipolar? And if so have you tried anything else that has worked as good as the Lithium?? I'm desperate!! I'm 41 and have never in my life been this sad about the way I look.. I eat right, I work out and nothing :-(

(Female 31 years) I started up on Lithium 5 weeks ago. I had heard you could gain weight, but I was not worried, I was 110 pounds 5'5. I'm slender and active, make ALL my food from scratch with loads of greens, don't eat sugar and restrict my carbs. If you pinched my skin on my stomach youd find just that, skin and not much else, six-pack visible.

I feel like I've just exploded the last weeks. It's like all my skin and fatty tissue just bloated out with water. I can tell because I now have clearly visible indentations in my shins after socks-trousers-shoes that was never there before. I can still feel all my abs and such under there, harder than ever because I try to work out as much as possible to stay my size, but I now have a medium padding all over, even visible in my face. I'm shocked. I have no definition any more, and feel like there is nothing I can do, its not like I have any more muscle mass to loose. I'm already up 10 pounds. I think it's mostly water retention. Might be some fat, because I'm all of a sudden ravishingly hungry all the time. But I'm strict, so there really has not been any more eating.

This has me worried... I feel like I have no control over this, and most likely my dosing will go up... Started Wellbutrin because I'm still depressed even though my mania is completely under control. Hope the Well b will stop the cravings.

Hello, this sucks I am 47 and 5'7 and weigh 220lbs. What doesn't help is I am stocky from lifting weights for years. My face and gut are my obvious signs of being overweight. I work out 3-5 days a week 1-2 hours tread mill, stationary bike, sit ups, sauna etc and have been doing this for about 5 months: no weight loss. I have Bipolar I and depression and take Lithium SA and Celexa. Thinking about changing meds.

Hi everyone,
I am diagnosed with Bipolar II.  I have been taking lithium for about two years and I've gained 20 pounds.  However, this drug has worked miracles for me, and I have no intention of stopping it; therefore, I am forced to find another way to deal with the weight gain.  Please note that 20 pounds in two years is certainly not that much, but will add up if weight gain continues.  Lithium remains an extraordinarily effective drug.
The reason for my weight gain is ravenous appetite, especially after my evening dose.  It is not a mystery; I have been eating too much, for example, a tub of frozen yogurt in one day.  I seemed to have little control over myself when it came to this overeating - I actually didn't care about my weight when struck with the urge to eat and found that I cared again the next morning; that didn't help.  I am desperately sad over not being able to wear my beautiful clothes and can't afford a new wardrobe.  Over the last couple of weeks, my wardrobe has inspired me to stop eating in the evenings, and the weight is starting to come off.
I have to say that all medications affect people differently and this may not be your experience, but I have found that curbing the eating stops the weight gain.  It's the appetite that is my problem.  This leads me to believe that lithium does not magically put weight on my bones.  Even eating healthy can put weight on.  Weight is more easily managed through diet than exercise, although it is common sense that exercise is beneficial for mental and overall health, and it can contribute to weight loss.

Therefore, I encourage myself and others to find ways to simply eat less to manage weight gain.

Oh, and please let me tell you my experience with Webutrin:  1.  It made my depression noticeably worse and increased my urge for suicide - a lot.  2.  It gave me grand mal seizures.

I hope it works if prescribed for you, but for some it is almost a death sentence. Please be careful.

I USED TO TAKE OVER A THOUSAND MILLIGRAMS OF LITHIUM NOW I AM ON SIX HUNDRED AND TRIYNG TO REDUCE. I STILL CONSIDER MYSELF VERY FAT. I AM SU[POSED TO WEIGHT 135-140 AND I WEIGH 179 AT THE LOWEST. I AM EXTREMELY SELF CONCIOUS AND I CAN GET WHAT EVERYONE SAYS. MY DOCTOR SAYS SIX HUNDRED IS NOT A LOT BUT DOES ANYONE KNOW IF YOU ACTUALLY LOSE WEIGHT ONCE YOUR COMPLETELY OFF THE STUFF? MY DOCTOR SAYS ONCE YOUR OFF YOU WILL STOP GAINING BUT WHAT ARE YOU ALL EXPERIENCES? CAN I REMAIN POSTIVE THAT I WILL LOSE WEIGHT WHEN I GET OFF IT OR SHOULD I JUST DITCH THE IDEA? I AM SO SICK OF BEING HEAVY....PS, WELBUTRIN WORKS GREAT, I HAVE ZERO SIDE EFFECTS. MY DOCTOR ALSO SAID FOR SOME THE GENERIC WORKS DIFFERENTLY THAN THE FULL BRAND.

I have been on Lithium for about 8 years now. I have gained maybe 10 lbs but am only 5'0 so that shows up well. I eat very well and exercise everyday and shake a pound... VERy FRUSTRATING! The lithium controls my symptoms well but the weight part sucks. I used to have to take a low dose of antidepressants too but no more. Wellbutrin gave me suicidal thoughts- awful! I had great results with effexor. Good luck to all!

Hi People, 
I'm 26 and have been on mood stabilizers for a year now! before starting this medicine family i was on antidepressants, 20mg Lexapro i weighted 49 kg /08lbs the lowest i can weigh for my age and height, however they realized after a suicide attempt i was bipolar II and they put me on Sodium Valporate (Anticonvulsant) as well as the Lexapro. 

In the first week i gained 3kg/6lbs and each week i kept gaining as they kept increasing the amount. I began to reduce my food intake as to slow the amount i was putting on which seemed to work however the amount of food i was eating was not healthy.. i ended up putting on 15kg/33lbs couldn't fit into my clothes and was feeling totally down about being fat. 

I started doing small exercise like walking the dogs for an hour a day however i lost nothing! i went to see my doctor and said i wanted to change the meds, within the few weeks i came off the Valporate i lost 4kg/8lbs. 

I was then put on Lithium and i cannot loose any weight.. i have been going CRAZY joined a boot camp of vigorous exercising still no weight loss.. i was eating very healthy counting calories..still no weight loss.. 

Now i'm eating nothing but an apple a day have no energy when exercising i'm practically living off of water and if i do eat a meal i make myself spew it up because i'm so upset as i'm putting all this hard work into exercise and getting no results that i'm resorting to starvation even though i know my body will start storing the fat.. yet even starving myself i have no results. 
WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR METABOLISM???? 

I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow and i'm coming off of this medicines... i feel like the side effects are just creating other problems Like an eating disorder there must me another way....  I cant live my life crazy or fat.. In saying that the meds have helped me not be mentally ill however now i have a situational depression, as i cant leave the house, get a job, etc etc all because i weigh too much.. i also read by a few people is will the weight go once getting off the meds?? I wish i knew someone please let us know!! 

I hav been trying to lose weight since January, without any success. I have joined slimming world and weight watches. It is very disheartening.