My doctor told me that Paxil is a unique formulation that offers proven medical benefits for people with depression. Since I have problems with this disorder, he recommended me to use this drug. Although I have heard that Paxil gives you the powerful relief, I am still worried. Problem is that my neighbor told me his cousin lose weight from Paxil. That is why I want to hear is it possible to lose weight because of this medicine, and what else side effects I could expect.

Although prescription Paxil is not for everyone, it is generally well tolerated. As with many medications, there can be side effects with Paxil as well. Some of the side effects may include infection, nausea, diarrhea, dry mouth, and constipation. I found it interesting for you that side effects are also reported as decreased appetite, dizziness, sweating, tremor, sexual side effects, injury, yawning, weakness, insomnia, abnormal vision and sleepiness. However, I could say it is a safe and effective medication, which has successfully helped people treat their depression. The most commonly observed adverse events associated with the use of Paxil were asthenia, infection, constipation, decreased appetite, dry mouth, and nausea. Significant weight loss may be an undesirable result of treatment with Paxil for some patients. However, on average, patients in controlled trials had minimal, which means about 1 pound, weight loss versus smaller changes on placebo and active control. There were no significant changes in vital signs such as systolic and diastolic blood pressure, pulse and temperature.

I was on paxil for quiet a few years. I have not had that experience. In fact, I have found paxil to make me gain weight, especially when I was getting on, and again when I was getting off the medication. It could just be my body.

I have noticed that with different people different drugs have different side effects, so you can't always trust that you will have the same.

Paixl can most definitley make you gain weight. Any one who says it doesn't is full of it. There are studies showing that Paxil can completely screw up your metabolism.

I started using Paxil when I was 21 and weighed 165 pounds (5' 11"). By the time I stopped using it two years later I weighed 206. I began using it again when I was 27 and got up to 225 pounds, and after stopping and dieting got down to 195. Two years ago I began using Paxil again and am up to 240 and finding it impossible to lose weight. So some people do gain weight on Paxil.

Please, does any one know a good diet to loose weight while on Paxil?

paxil is great at first then you realize it's tricky side effects that no one tell you about. like no sex drive and you can't orgasm, you have no emotion anymore and you gain weight, especially when you try to come off paxil and end up going back on cause you can't take the withdrawal. I started paxil in like nov 2005 i was up to 37.5mg. it made me do stupid things and i didn't care about anything or anyone but myself. being heavy to begin with at 235 now I am up to 260 and I have no reason why, i've been dieting and exercising and can't seem to lose a pound. I'm currently off it I hope last time a took 5mgs was over a week ago. I still have bad withdrawal symtoms, migrane, nausea, dizziness, brain zaps they really suck! insomnia and restless legs. I'm hoping now that I can finally start to lose weight. If anyone has lost weight after coming off paxil I'd love to know how long it took to start losing the weight after stopping.

I took Paxil for 3 months and went from size 8 to a size 10. After I went off of it, I kept gaining and gaining weight. I have had two pregnancies since then and I have such a hard time losing weight. Whenever I used to watch what I was eating pre-paxil I lost weight. Whever I exercised I lost weight. Now, I spin 1-2Xs/week and used to work out with a personal trainier for 2 days/week. I am still up 15 lbs. from my second child who is 9 months old. I just went wheat free, gluten free and sugar free 3 weeks ago and have managed to lose 5 lbs, but I thought it would fall off of me. It hasn't. Something happened to me after taking Paxil. It really messed me up because I NEVER had to worry about my weight. I regret taking it. It was the single most worst decision of my life to take Paxil. If I could turn back the clock I NEVER would have taken it. EVER.

An Open Letter to Anyone Seeking Information About the Harmful Effects of Psychiatric Drugs:
I am writing my story because I want to do something to help inform people about the harmful effects of antidepressant drugs.
It took me several years, after using antidepressant medications for more than ten, to become clear headed enough to figure out what happened to me.
I wound up having a minor stroke or a seizure according to the MRI. Now I’m trying to get my life back together.
Here’s what happened:
I went to a Psychiatrist sometime in 1992 or 1993 (someday I'll figure out the exact year) because I couldn’t control crying jags at work. I had been sad over a horrible accident that left my 19-year-old son permanently brain injured. I was a single mom. I had moved back to Austin to care to care for him and had taken a government job.
The lady psychiatrist saw me for less than five minutes. She announced I was clinically depressed and prescribed Prozac. When I asked, she said it was not habit forming.
I remember feeling almost immediate relief after the first dose (surprising, since she said it would take 3 weeks to take effect). All of the sudden life became wonderful! I went to a diet clinic and started taking diet pills (very poor combination of drugs--diet pills and SSRI’s--of course all were prescribed by MD’s). I began drinking too much and running around like I was on speed. I can remember just having so much fun in everything I did. I was all-powerful and could do no wrong! The world was at my feet and I was setting it on fire (I thought)! But really, I became unattached to the world emotionally. I became very self-centered. I lost a lot of friends. I missed major life occurrences, like the death of my father. I was not there for him during his illness nor was I emotionally present at his funeral. I was absolutely giddy all of the time. My most radical act was to sue my employer. Looking back, I cannot believe I did all of this. But after reading case after case of people committing crimes and displaying really bizarre behavior on these drugs, I realize I was lucky not to have done worse. I have a shy reserved personality by nature, and I come from a conservative family. I know now that the ‘drug fog’ kept me from seeing what was really happening in my life.
It was pure luck and nothing noble on my part that I finally decided to get off the drugs. It took from the fall of 2001 until the fall of 2003 to get completely off. By December 2003 I was experiencing severe brain fogginess and panic attacks. I was deathly afraid of what was wrong with me and just as afraid to take any kind of medication at all to treat the crying jags. At this point, I still did not know that this was common behavior for one withdrawing from antidepressant drugs, and that with time it would pass.
I began to seek help. I had an MRI done because of the terrible brain fog. They found ‘non-specific white focal matter’, which the doctor said could have been caused by a minor stroke or seizure. After searching for answers for a year from three different therapists, a doctor of internal medicine, a general practitioner and a gastroenterologist (that’s 6 professionals from my medical community who gave me no answers), I finally found a psychologist here in Austin, Texas, Dr. John Breeding, that lent me a copy of Dr. Ann Blake Tracy’s tape, ‘Help, I Can’t Get Off My Anti-depressants’. And wow…what a relief! I wasn’t crazy after all. It was the drugs. I began reading and researching, and discovered that everything that had been happening to me was directly related to the years of antidepressant drug use.
I now realize that most health professionals believe in the use of mind-altering drugs, perhaps because they are uninformed and motivated financially. It appears that many of the professionals I was exposed to would rather accept a prevailing societal viewpoint as gospel than to do a little research to find out the truth. It appears that they believe in whatever is in the best interest of their own personal financial gain. If they have not had a personal crisis, or do not have a compelling reason to seek out the truth, it appears as if they turn a deaf ear to those who have, possibly writing them off as radical activists or ‘mental’ cases. Furthermore, it appears that most people do not want to become their own authority. They would rather just read one side, and then stop reading after they find what they want to hear. It takes a personal crisis for them to wake up. That's what happened to me. I woke up!
It’s hard to get over the fact that more than 10 years of my life were lost in a fog because of drugs that doctors said would help me. It feels like my life has been turned totally upside down because of these drugs.
It seems like there must be a reason my mind was spared. I am now supporting an effort to enhance public awareness about the harmful effects of SSRI drugs in any way I can. That is the reason for this open letter. Please people …wake up! How many more lives must be ruined before you will see the truth?
I am asking that the medical community embrace the concept of ‘informed consent’. I went to three psychiatrists. None of them were willing to discuss the negative side effects of the SSRI drugs they prescribed for me. I went to professional counselors and psychologists who said ‘our brains need help’ and ‘the drugs help so many people’. Now after extensive reading and researching, I am absolutely disappointed in the prevailing viewpoint by the mental health community that mind-altering drugs are the answer. When I see the giddy, drunken behavior of people on these drugs today, I am simply appalled that they continue to be touted as helpful by professionals who take an oath do ‘do no harm’!
I have started a support group for families, friends and bio-psychiatric drug survivors as a means of helping one another to heal. The lack of support from the medical community made me feel alone and isolated much of the time as I was coming off these drugs. By forming a community support group I hope to be able to help people avoid what I went through by sharing some of the information that is not readily available to the general public. I want to do something to spare people the anguish I went through. The information that I know now that I did not know when I went through all this should be readily available. My question to the medical community is, why isn’t it?
It is my opinion that SSRI drug use today is epidemic, and that our society is being adversely affected because of it. It is my belief that those of us who have been on the drugs and successfully withdrawn have a responsibility to spread the truth that we have so painfully learned. We can change the world. We must share our stories and get the truth out there. If you are in a position to spread the word about how harmful psychiatric drugs are, do so…don’t hesitate. If you touch one life, you have made a difference.
Sincerely,
Ellen Heath
Transformers Support Group
P. S. Please feel free to contact me at

I was on paxil for about 8 months, and in the first 2 months I went from weighing 155 lbs to 110 lbs. I did not change my diet and exersice routine (seeing as how I didn't have one). And while I was absolutley thrilled at wieght loss, it concerned my family. Going from a depressed overweight 15 year old girl to a suddenly skinny girl who has to take depression meds would worry anyone. Anyway I would notice that on days when I forgot to take my pills, I would feel very very out of place and confused. I would be walking along in a fog and then all of the sudden my whole body would feel like your foot does when you stomp it, trying to "wake it up". Long story short, it didn't really do anything but cause me to feel more out of place than I had before. That was 6 years ago, and now I am a happy normal person. But I think that we all need to remember that being a "happy" person doesn't mean you're always going to be happy!

i did take paxil too for a few years
i gained weight on it and couldnt do anything to lose it
i had a baby and couldnt lose any of that weight
i did lose some weight on a very strict atkins
so try that, it may help
if i had any will power i would do it again
i am on cipralex now
i cant do without the meds
but i say i would rather be fat and happy
than depressed or whatever!
so take an extra 10-20 lbs and 'weigh' it against your
pre med symptoms
hope that helps anyone

I am a personal trainer and I took 10mg of paxil for 8months. Like everybody else I gained a bunch of weight. I exercised more and ate even more healthy. I have been off it for 2 months now and I am still having trouble losing the "paxil gut." I did find this info via internet. OMEGA 3 with a combo of VITAMIN E will help up a hormone called LEPTIN which increases metabolism naturally. For more info look up LEPTIN AND WEIGHT. Keep me posted if any of you guys find more info on this or if it has worked for you.

I had been on Paxil for about 5yrs. the Dr. told me that I could gain about 5 lbs,I figured only 5 lbs I could deal with that,Well I gained 50lbs and no matter what I do I can not lose it and I'm uncomfortable from the weight.When I mentioned it to my Dr. they look at you like your nuts but yet every time you go in they weigh you so it's right there in black and white.I weened myself off of the Paxil,and boy I haven't lost a pound ,I don't eat much at all even my friends don't understand it.If there is anyone out there that knows what I can do PLEASE tell me.

I have been on paxil now for 3 weeks. This is not my first time on paxil. I have tried quite a few antidepressants in the last 4 years. I have been antidepressant free for a year up until now. Paxil has always worked for me. BUT this time i am even doing better. WHY? well, i believe it is because i am not relying on the drug alone to improve my mental wellbeing...example; EVERY morning when i wake up i tell myself that today is going to be a good day, i brew coffee, grab my smokes, and my ipod and i step outside to take in fresh air and enjoy the start of my day. I have realized that only i can control my life and how i feel inside. Paxil helps me clear my mind and put myself in control. I am only on 20 mg but it works for me. I do sometimes get a little extra happy during the day but its okay. I just laugh at myself and move on. I have gone from 176.5 lbs to 164.5 pounds since i started paxil. ONLY because like i said...I learned to control myself. I eat only when i am hungry and thats all it has taken. I am going to start working out soon but only when i am ready. PAXIL IS NOT A MIRACLE DRUG!!! YOU ARE THE MIRACLE!!!! Paxil just gives you the quick drive to jump start your life. THis is just my outlook you choose your own and GOOD LUCK IN LIFE!!!!!

I have been taking paxil for five years now, and recently started to realize that I cant explain my 50 pound weight gain!! I was also curious as to why i could not sleep ever, and i have realized that this medication is the cause. When i started taking it i was your average FRANTIC 16 year old cutsie cheerleader. NOw i feel as if i need to take this to function properly. NOt to say that i feel addicted but I am scared to stop taking it. If I had known what the side effects would be i NEVER would have taken this medication.....anyone contemplating taking this medication DONT DO IT!! try another one if its necessary