I was told by my cardiologist that it is a Federal Law to be on birth control while using beta blockers. Said that beta blockers cause severe birth defects and the gov made it maditory to go on birth control before starting the treatment. Is this true?

I am not aware of this beta—blockers effect. I know that it should be discussed with a doctor if a pregnancy is planned and then decide upon individual situation but I haven’t heard that beta-blockers would cause birth defects.
There are some side effects if used in pregnancy like low blood pressure in the baby and slow heart rate and low blood sugar in mothers. Beta-blockers are known for passing to the infant through breast milk and causing low blood pressure, difficulty breathing, or and slowed heart rate in the baby.
I know that ACE inhibitors have been linked to birth defects but beta-blockers had very little rate.

Hi, ive been on propranolol since i was 16 and am now 28, propranolol is a beta blocker, i have had 3 children with no complications, my gp did lower my dosage throughout pregnancy and breast feeding, but no one ever mentioned any direct side effects that would harm my children, i hope this helps :-)