Hi guys. I never had problems with my blood pressure. But when my husband passed away, I started to have so many heart issues. I didn't know that until I didn't saw my doctor. He was surprised because I didn't feel any symptoms of high blood pressure. I was a little bit socked when I found out that I am dealing with this, but it is ok. I didn't took any recommendation for some therapy. My friend told me that I should use calcium channel blockers because this is the best. Can you tell me can everyone get treated with calcium channel blockers? 

Hello Samantha,

I don't think that there are people who can't use calcium channel blockers whatsoever. There are, however, some things that you shouldn't do while you are taking this medication. For example, grapefruit and its juice interfere with this medication (and basically with all medications that are used for heart issues) so you shouldn't take grapefruit or its juice four hours before and after you take calcium channel blockers. 

Also, these medications might interfere with other medications. I'm not quite sure with which so it would be smart for you to talk to your doctor if you are using some other medications besides this one.

Hi you two,

Actually, these aren't recommended for people with asthma because of fear that they might cause an asthma attack and they aren't recommended for people with diabetes because they could block signs of low blood sugar, such as rapid heartbeat.

You shouldn't mix this type of medication with alcohol as well. The complete list of the things that you should mix it with are certain medications (you should talk to your doctor about this), alcohol, black pepper and vitamin D.

Keep in mind that these are some very strong medications which can be toxic for some people and result in many side effects.

Hi Samantha,

These are indeed some very strong medications.

I've been using one of the calcium channel blockers for quite some time now because of my high blood pressure. I can't really say that I'm handling it well. I get dizzy most of the time when I take them.

I'm paying attention to the things that people above me wrote, I'm not taking grapefruit at all, I'm not drinking alcohol or anything. But still, this type of medications have some strong side effects which include dizziness, fainting, fatigue, difficulty breathing, edema, heartburn, weight gain and constipation, irregular heartbeat, allergic reactions and so on.

Hey Samantha,

Actually, you shouldn't try with calcium channel blockers first. They are mostly used only as a substitute for beta blockers and ACE inhibitors.

I would suggest that you try with beta blockers first. These medications are quite good although a lot of people are complaining about nightmares and hallucinations as their side effects. Well, anyway, you should talk to your doctor before you decide that you want to start taking any medications. You shouldn't do that kind of things without consulting with your doctor first.

Calcium channel blockers can definitely be used to treat high blood pressure but they shouldn't be your first option.

Hey everyone. I don't understand anything now. My friend told me that this is the best blocker that exist currently. I have consider to try it without asking my doctor. I was sure that this is the next thing that I am going to do. Now I am in doubt. If I need to have some of those blockers, what do you suggest for me? What should I take? And why they are better than calcium channel blockers for high blood pressure? Any recommendations? Thank you..

Samantha,
I'll tell you flat out, DO NOT TAKE ANY SUCH MEDICATION unless it is prescribed by your doctor - at the correct dosage. You need a thorough physical evaluation before taking any such drug. You also will need to be monitored. It can/does often cause changes in your cholesterol levels.

Diuretics are usually the first course of treatment.

Once you start a beta blocker you can't just stop either. To do so greatly increases your risk of a heart attack.

They are also prescription drugs.

I don’t think so.

Calcium channel blockers are prescription medications that help you relax your blood vessels and increase the supply of blood and oxygen to the heart while also reducing the heart's workload. Calcium channel blockers can be prescribed for: high blood pressure, coronary spams, coronary artery disease, chest pain, several anginas, abnormal heart rhythm, hypertension, pulmonary hypertension, high blood pressure, etc. You should never consider to take any medication without consulting your doctor about this before. There are so many different causes of high blood pressure and you should find the cause of them. After that, you will be able to know what is the best treatment.

Hello everyone. I wouldn't do anything without consulting someone who is an expert in this area. You should never consider to have any kind of medications, drugs, pills or blockers just because you know someone who was using it before and just because someone of them told you that they are the best. The same thing is with calcium channel blockers, and yes they are used for high blood pressure. But you need to be aware that once you start with heart medications and blockers as well, it is going to be very hard to stop using them. So think about some test to see do you really need some pills. 

Hi there. Calcium - channel blockers are actually a group of medications that affect the way calcium passes into certain muscle cells. They usually are used to treat various conditions, and that usually includes high blood pressure and in some cases angina, also it can be Raynaud's phenomenon and sometimes abnormal heart rhythms. They are also used very often to try to stop premature labour in pregnancy. A calcium-channel blocker can be used alone, but sometimes they are combined with another medicine to treat high blood pressure or angina, when one of those medicines that you are prescribed is not working that good alone.