Hi, I would like to talk to you about high blood pressure. You see, all of my life I was healthy and didn't need any help from doctors. But lately I have been feeling headaches that made me go to the doctor's office. He measured my blood pressure and told me that it is so high that medications are needed. I got very scared when he told me that high blood pressure can cause many other health problems. He prescribed me some drugs and told me that they are called beta blockers. I am very worried for my health and I wonder if beta blockers are the best antihypertensive therapy? Are there some other drugs that might help me?

Hi, high blood pressure is really a very serious condition that demands great attention. There are a number of drugs that are used to treat hypertension. I will not bother you with their names now, because it won't do you any good. High blood pressure is a condition that requires you to change your habits if you want to have a successful treatment. Lowering the amount of salt and fat and increasing your sport activities are just some of the steps you will have to take if you want to lower your blood pressure. Medications are absolutely necessary when heart attack and brain stroke are a threat. There are scientific studies that show beta blockers as best medication for high blood pressure. I personally would have to say that a combined therapy would give the best results. You see different groups of drugs lower high blood pressure with different mechanisms. Beta blockers lower the heart rate, diuretics help you to eliminate excess water and salt from your organism and alpha blockers inhibit the constriction of arteries. I am sure that the doctor assessed your situation properly and prescribed you with the best therapy for your case. If you have any doubts you should talk to your doctor about them, and he will clear things out for you.