Hi, I am 44 years old and I have problem with my thyroid gland. It is much enlarged and my hormone levels are very high. Doctor says that it is due to Grave's disease. It is autoimmune disorder that affects the thyroid gland. I've been prescribed Beta blockers for Graves! How long before they work?

You have been prescribed beta blockers only to control symptoms. They usually prescribe beta blocker called propranolol. It can be used to slow heart rate, lowers blood pressure, and also may help calm feelings of anxiety. They do not affect the production of hormones. They work very fast usually in one hour and it affects lasts 4 hours.