Hi, when I’m anxious my heart beats very fast, I start to sweat and sometimes even shake. I use tranquilizers for relaxation, but I’ve heard that beta blockers would be suitable for this condition. What is the best beta blocker for anxiety?

Beta-blockers in lower doses are used in treatment of the symptoms of anxiety like palpitations, sweating, and shaking. Their basic use is in treatment of heart diseases such as high blood pressure, angina and arrhythmias. In stress situations your body will secrete more adrenaline and noradrenaline, due to increased brain activity. Adrenaline acts by preparing body for struggle and induces faster heart rate, increases level of blood sugar, prepare for movement, if stress is exaggerated can even cause shaking, sweating and feeling more anxious. The beta-blockers reduce the effect of adrenaline and noradrenaline, leading to reduction of the physical symptoms of anxiety. Propranolol has shown very good effects in treatment of anxiety.