My mother has very strong and frequent headaches. I heard that beta-blockers can be very useful for people with migraines. Is it a good idea to try to treat migraine with this kind of drugs? Does anybody have experience with it? And tell me, please, what are the most common beta-blockers? Thanks!

Hi! The most common beta-blockers are Atenolol (with brand name Tenormin), Metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol-XL) and Propranolol (Inderal, Inderal LA). But you should know that your mother needs to go to doctor first if she wants to use beta-blockers. Because prescription is necessary. You can not get these medications without prescription.

Hello there,

I agree with the poster above me, your mother first needs to consult her doctor about this and after he prescribes beta-blockers to her (he is going to do this if he thinks that is necessary) she can start to use them. She will have to follow his instructions concerning timing and dosage of the medications.

I believe that your mother has tried most of the medications and therapies but I would like to tell you that my grandmother is using some herbal tea which is very helpful when it comes to her migraines. I am not sure about the name, but I can ask her. Anyhow, you can buy it in the herbal pharmacy. Good luck.

yes i agree. Beta Blockers also treat high blood pressure

I take a Beta Blocker for high blood pressure and migraines . It is called propranolol and I have only gotten two migraines in the last six months! I normally get a migraine at least once a week. I was taking Imitrex when I would get a migraine and after taking the Imitrex for about ten years it gave me high blood pressure . My doctor prescribed Propranolol because it is used for treating migraines and high blood pressure. My blood pressure is normal once again!

Hi there I was just wondering where you referenced the top 3 beta blockers? I am writing a report on beta blockers use and this could help with my research! Thanks