Good day everyone. My name is Monica and I am 32 years old. I have rapid heartbeats. This happened three years ago. I was totally healthy before or I didn’t notice that something is wrong with me. I went to see my doctor and he told me that I have abnormal heart rhythms and fast heart rates. I can tell you that tachycardia is killing me. He prescribed beta blockers to me. Now I am fine but I have one problem. I am planning to have another baby. But I don’t know can beta – blockers cause any problems in pregnancy? Please, let me know.

Hey there.

Monica, it is very important to talk about this with your doctor. Can you tell me which beta – blockers you are using?

I know that if you are using beta – blockers during pregnancy it may affect on the growing of the fetus by slowing its heart rate and lowering down blood sugar level and blood pressure.

You should know that beta blockers can also pass the infant through breast milk. It can cause low blood pressure and this makes difficulties in breathing and slowing down heart rate.

My sister was using Propranolol and they told her this. I believe that it is the same with all other beta – blockers.

Hey there. Well, that was my biggest concern. I am going to make an appointment with my doctor and I will see what he is going to tell me. I am using Propranolol as well and I was reading a little bit about this, but I haven’t found this information that it can affect fetus. The truth is that I really want to have another baby. What do you think, is there any way to stop using beta – blockers now when I want to have baby, can I avoid to use them during my whole pregnancy and later? Anyone had experience with it? I think that I need to consult my doctor about this issue as well.

Hello there girls.

There is always a risk for fetus if you are using some medications in pregnancy. Medications taken by a pregnant women reach the fetus primarily by crossing the placenta. It is the same route taken by nutrients and oxygen and they are needed for fetus to develop and to grow.

Beta – blockers used by pregnant girl can cause several damages to fetus such as – they can act directly on the fetus and they can cause damage and some abnormal development. Also, they can alter the function of the placenta. They can affect the fetus indirectly, trough yours blood.

And you should not definitely stop to use those medications on your own without consulting your doctor!

Hello everyone. Well I am very sorry because I need to tell you this as well but yes – all beta – blockers can cause a lot of problems in pregnancy. People already told you what you can expect but you should also know that you just can’t stop taking therapy that easy. You should consult your doctor about it.

Let him know that you want to have another pregnancy, let him know what is your biggest concern and talk about him. I am pretty sure that he is going to find some solution for you.

I wish you all the best. Good luck!

Hello guys. I didn’t have experience with this but my very close friend had. Her cycle was late and she went to the doctor. I believe that this happened 3 weeks after she started to take some beta – blocker (I don’t know which one). I remember that her little boy was born earlier with major heart defect and some damage to nervous system.

Now, when I am remembering this story, I would advise you to stop taking them because there is always a possibility that something goes wrong.

Please, about any next step that you are planning to take, consult your doctor.