My boyfriend is having problems with his erection when we use condom, so I decided to use an anti - baby pill. However, I kept forgetting to take it, which resulted in an unwanted pregnancy and an abortion. I heard about birth control patch and I would like to learn something about this method of contraception. My friend told me that you just place it and don’t think of it any more fore the next seven days. Is that really true? How efficient is birth control patch?

Birth control patch is a method of contraception based on transdermal administration. This means that the patch continually releases the hormones norelgestromin (progestin) and ethinyl estradiol (estrogen) which go through a woman’s skin to her blood vessels. These hormones are the usual content of every birth control pill and they are in charge of preventing ovulation - releasing the egg from the ovary. The patch can be put to any part of the body (breasts are not allowed), but the best parts are abdominal area, buttocks, and upper part of the body. The patch is put on the first day of a woman’s period, and then changed after seven, fourteen and twenty - one day exactly. The fourth week should be patch - free and this is usually the time when a woman gets her period again. Birth control patch is very efficient (up to 99%) if used properly. This means that it must be replaced weekly and must not be removed during the three - week cycle. There are side effects such as blood clots, mood changes, headaches, dizziness, breast tenderness etc. The good thing is that those symptoms usually disappear after several months of usage.