I was thinking about going on the pill. Recently, my friend has mentioned me pill called lo ogestrel. I would like to know more about it? Does this pill have some side effects? I would also like to know how does the pill works? Thanks

Before you start using any pill you should go to your doctor. Oral contraceptives are highly effective method of preventing pregnancy and they consist of synthetic forms of two hormones produced naturally in the body- either progestin alone or estrogen and progestin. Estrogen and progestin regulate a woman's menstrual cycle. The fluctuating levels of these hormones play an essential role in fertility, ability to become pregnant. The pills are available in a wide range of estrogen and progestin strengths and types to reduce side effects. The generic name of the pill Lo Ogestrel is Ethinyl estradiol/norgestrel. This pill belongs to monophasic category. A gland in the brain, called the pituitary, releases hormones during a woman's monthly cycle and every 28 days or so these hormones signal the ovaries to start preparing an ovum, a human egg. Hormones also prepare the uterus to receive the egg and these medications prevent pregnancy by stopping the ovaries from releasing the egg. They are also causing the mucus in the cervix to thicken, making it difficult for sperm to reach the egg. This is how the pill works. The most common side effects are vaginal infections, mood changes, headache, weight gain and nausea.