I have irregular periods for along time, but since recently I started to use birth control pills. I am also suffering from painful acne. Well, I’ve heard opposite opinions about birth control pills affect on acne. So, can you tell me can birth control pills improve acne or make it worse?

As you probably know almost all birth control pills contain a combination of estrogen and progestin hormones in various combinations. Birth control pills that contain estrogen and progestin hormones with higher male hormone activity are more likely to make acne worse and those that contain hormones with lower androgen activity are less likely to make acne worse, and may actually help clear it. That is why you have heard opposite opinions. I did some research and these are birth control pills that may help improve acne: Desogen, Demulen, Brevicon, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ovcon 35, Ortho Novum 7/7/7 and Nelova 1/35.

i use to use birth control to control acne. i have been off for 6 months and trying to get pregant and my acne is worse than ever :-(