Hi. From time to time I have sudden hearing loss. In my childhood I have problems with ear infections. I think that ear infections and sudden hear loss are connected. Is it true that some infection can cause sudden hearing loss? If yes, which one is most common? Thank you in advance for your time.

Doctors agreed that one of the most commonly proposed causes of sudden hearing loss is viral infection of the inner ear. Viral infection of the inner ear, such as due to the mumps, measles or chickenpox can cause problems with hearing loss, so you need to consider that and tell inform your doctor. A viral infection can cause inflammation of the inner ear which associated with blood vessels can cause hearing loss. No pain, fever, muscle cramps or other signs of a viral illness are usually encountered.