Hi. I am working in a place that has a big noise pollution (at least they call it like this).I don’t want to lose my hearing ability so I’m ready to take something that can prevent it. But, I’ve heard that use of ear plugs cause partial hearing loss? Is that true? What are you suggesting me to do?

First, the thing you’ve heard is not true. Ear plugs can’t cause partial hearing loss; they can only help you not to get it. Ear plugs can lower damaging sound levels and it is designed to take off the harshness of the noise and bring it down to a safer, more tolerable level. But also it is good to know that existence of full or partial hearing loss does not protect one from further hearing loss due to noise exposure. While hearing loss is permanent in nature and the use of earplugs cannot restore hearing loss, they can help prevent further damage.

As a motorcyclist, I've been using earplugs to help with the loud noises. Lately, my right ear has been aching due to the pressure exerted from the earplugs. Could I damage my ear drums or something from this exerted pressure. I especially feel it when I take off my helmet. I think this act is sucking air through my ear canals. Should I find another solution for the traffic noise?

Thanks

I have hyperaccusis so I wear ear plugs for almost everything: vacuuming, the movies, babysitting... anywhere there is loud noise. I also experience ear pain and pressure from elevation changes like large hills, so I wear plugs when I drive. So I know exactly what you are talking about.

It's not sucking air from your ear. What you are feeling is the difference in the pressure between your ears and the outside. Going up and down hills and changes in speed cause changes in air pressure. The pain is from the eardrum being pulled inward or outward due to the pressure. You won't seriously damage yourself from the ear plugs, but you do risk a nice ear infection from constantly upsetting your ears. If you do end up with an ear infection and you continue using the plugs, you'll end up causing a self-inflicted chronic ear infection condition, and that WILL cause permanent damage. But I don't think you are at that point, so there's still room for you to expirament to find something that works.

Are you using the same pair of earplugs every time? If you are you could be giving yourself an ear infection from that. Change to a new pair daily. Also try different types of ear plugs and see if a certain kind works better for you. I use the soft moldable type and that works pretty well for me on boats and rollercoasters. When you're at a stop, try taking off your helmet and take out the plugs to help normalize the pressure in your ears. If nothing seems to work you won't have to do something so extreme as choose between your healthy ears or your bike, but you will have to limit the time you spend on your bike and how often you ride. The big problem here is that ear plugs are designed for noise, not air pressure.

I have some questions that are only partially related. I had had a cold for more then a week, which I still have. It was a relatively serious one
chills, sleeplessness, sweats things of that type. But just recently over the past two days I have been experiencing pretty substantial partial hearing loss in my left ear...I can't hear much of anything. I balled up a piece of paper towel and stuffed it in my ear to protect it from noise because I fear that it may be sensative. So I need to ask, how can I alleviate this, Is my current strategy acceptable and what do I need to know about this....

WHE DID YOU GET SUCH IDEA FROM... NO BODY GET EAR INFECTION USING EAR PLUG FOR LONG TERMS....

FOR YOUR INFO,, EVERYONE HAS TINNITUS WHEN THEY ARE IN A QUIET PLACE.... DUN WRITE THINGS THAT IS NOT TRUE AND NOT IN BLACK & WHITE...... AND IF YOU AR ENOT A DOCTOR....
***edited by moderator*** ** inappropriate posting** DUN CAUSE CONFUSION HERE

I don't have a straight answer to your questions, but I think it not such a dumb thing you are suggesting. Lately I was on a flight with China Southern. They handed out earplugs. The things were a whole lot bigger then the plugs I always buy in the Netherlands. When I removed them I got a pain in my ears. Since then I have a slight beeping, soughing sound in my ear. I am going to see a medic tomorrow. I probably won't be that serious but you should buy quality plugs, don't put them in too deep, and remove them carefully, to be on the save side.

I slept with earplugs in and now I can't hear out of my left ear, why

same bro same tho its my right ear