Hello there. I have a question for someone who is experinced with this matters. My colleague in the office suddenly lost the hearing in one ear due to a virus. Can some virus cause sudden hearing loss? Also I want to know can I lose my hearing from being near her.

When you are ill you fell from time to time that one or both ears are closed and you can’t hear. It means that virus like cold viruses; flu virus’s causes sudden hearing loss. Sometimes, for whatever reason, they get into the inner ear and wreak havoc there resulting in sudden hearing loss and/or balance problems. Personally, I wouldn’t be at all worried about “catching” sudden hearing loss from your colleague so there is no reason to be afraid. One more thing about viruses and sudden hearing loss is that a herpes type virus is believed to be the most common cause of sudden hearing loss.

I visited a friends house, her kitchen and home was filthy, I cought a virus which has left me deaf in one ear, but no one can catch that from me, it is only caught through a virus. The virus was living in her filthy home.