I am interested to know if anyone has had emotional effects of these injections?

My mother has been getting these injections for about 3 months now...every 3 weeks. The injections ARE helping her back pain....but the emotional reactions have been HORRIBLE! Her injections are always on a Tuesday...and like clockwork (now that we know how to time it)...she is a NUT CASE by Friday. Angry, crying all day, horrible, hateful outbursts of just uncontrolable anger. Anything you say to her is taken as a personal attack.

She knows that this is happening AFTER a couple of days have passed and even realizes it while it is taking place...but it seems uncontrolable while it is going on.

The closest thing I could possibly relate it to is ROID RAGE??? I dont know...but it is aweful. She does have a terminal liver condition, and she lives with me and I am her "caretaker" even though she is not bed-ridden or anything like that at this point.

I am happy that these shots help he back pain...but OMG the things we go through 3 days after she gets this stuff injected.

Any input? Similar experiences???

I am the same way I imagine it is like pms the funny thing is that your mother and I have the same cycle I have my shots on thursday and I am a total as****e by sunday (today) Cortisone is a steroid so I wouldnt be suprise if it is a roid rage. Please dont take it personal as a person that is currently taking it out on someone else it is not purposeful it is just a side effect. I apologize for what is happening to your relationship but is also quite painfull after wards. BTW just out of curosity does your mothe also have trouble sleeping?

I have RA and cortisone shots are like a miracle for my body. I can get 2 months of almost normal movement after a systemic cortisone shot. That is in comparison to almost needing a cane otherwise. It is instantly and profoundly effective. However, it also makes me have a HORRIBLE temper. For example, I screamed at a lady over the phone and shook I was so angry - over just a minor rudeness. This rage problem lasts for as long as the cortisone. It doesn't go away in 3 days. I warned my family that this might happen - because I had had a similar but smaller problem from a shot into my knee. But after a few days, the idea that the cortisone was effecting me was lost. I had weeks of hurt feelings and damaged relationships. I'm still trying to repair things. I'd rather be in crippling pain than have roid rage. I'd rather be in a wheelchair than have roid rage. I'm in crippling pain now - but I don't scream at anyone anymore. Cortisone: it's a miracle if you can tolerate it. It's hell for you and the people around you if you can't.

I recently recieved injections and am soo angry . I am crying and lashing out at my kids. I feel out of contol

I get two shots in my back about every three months. I asked the doctor what I could do for the "steroid meanies." He suggested taking an antihistamine. I had been prescribed Vistaril for when my anxiety meds aren't doing the trick. So I take two of those every six hours. It helps stop the shaking & feeling like I'm going to rip out of my skin & tear through the ceiling. Maybe your mom, and those of you out there that are dealing with this might be helped with the same thing. The other thing I do (which I'm not proud of) is smoke. The nicotine calms me down pretty quickly. I am not a smoker, but it helps for those three days. Good luck to all of you!

I have notice this with myself I get Lumbar Facet Joint Injections for arthritis of the spine. However it tends to be a bit different then the original person who posted this.

My situation. As I stated I got Lumbar Facet Joint Injections for arthritis of the spine on 10/10/12 and the first three days i was laid up with ice packs.Now I am able to walk without pain.
_____________________________________________________
The only draw back is I have had tremors due to my head injury now they are ten times worse then I normally have them with brachial palsy. (I look like a person with Parkinson disease!) To top that off I have Low blood pressure when getting up, sweating, lack of body temperature control. Will yesterday I went on a yelling spree in a local parking lot just because the owner of the car parked in a handicapped spot with out a plate or placard and the manager would not call the cops then (the lady) owner of the carkept teling the manager she wanted me arrested because I called her a really nasty name (C--T). Which in return I laughed at her and told her, "You cannot be arrested in the State of Arizona for calling someone a name however you can be fined $200.00 for parking illegally in a handicap space with out a placard or plate so why don't we get those cops here go ahead make that call to 911, matter of fact I will make the call for you." She got in her car and left.

Talk about going insane... I get frustrated about people parking in my/our handicap spaces as is but I never did that before. I went on a rant/rage made a huge seen for what cause a lady parked in a handicap space!!!! OMG What the HE!! is wrong with me???

I have notice this with myself I get Lumbar Facet Joint Injections for arthritis of the spine. However it tends to be a bit different then the original person who posted this. My situation. As I stated I got Lumbar Facet Joint Injections for arthritis of the spine on 10/10/12 and the first three days i was laid up with ice packs.Now I am able to walk without pain. _____________________________________________________

The only draw back is I have had tremors due to my head injury now they are ten times worse then I normally have them with brachial palsy. (I look like a person with Parkinson disease!) To top that off I have Low blood pressure when getting up, sweating, lack of body temperature control.

Will yesterday 10/16/2012 I went on a yelling spree in a local parking lot just because the owner of the car parked in a handicapped spot with out a plate or placard and the manager would not call the cops then (the lady) owner of the car kept telling the manager she wanted me arrested because I called her a really nasty name (C--T). Which in return I laughed at her and told her, "You cannot be arrested in the State of Arizona for calling someone a name however you can be fined $200.00 for parking illegally in a handicap space with out a placard or plate so why don't we get those cops here go ahead make that call to 911, matter of fact I will make the call for you." She got in her car and left. Talk about going insane... I get frustrated about people parking in our handicap spaces as is but I never did that before. I went on a rant/rage made a huge seen for what? Cause a lady parked in a handicap space!!!! OMG What the HE!! is wrong with me??? I am concerned about this because I have Frontal Lobe Brain Damage from a Brain Injury I already suffer from anxiety from brain injury, Mood Disorder due to a head injury, Depression due to the brain injury what is next? Roid Rage!!! Holy Cannoli!!! I love being able to walk and feel free again but is it worth bitching everyone I see in public out for stupid reasons without any control or resentment until later. Then later realizing how foolish it was to do what I did. I want to feel better and live a life pain free but I also do not want to be screaming at people every where I go Over the most mundane things. I am sure it will get worse as I see I am not the only person on her with this problem and being I already have issues to boot this situation really scares me. What do I do??? DisabledWolf

I am done with my injections never again will i ever get an esi .... I wound up in jail for  felony class D battery and intimidation due to the side effects of these injections... turns me into a monster .....out of control ... please be careful if you are to receive these meds ...

I got an Cortisone injection yesterday morning and last night I went on a rampage at my family over dinner!  I am not proud of it and am very upset with my anger.  I have always kept my anger in check over the little things but last night I went nuts!  I will never get another shot again!  My husband had to use force to pull me away from our 13 year old son who suffers from depression and anxiety because I was trying to hit him for being well a teenager!  My family is not speaking to me today and that is probably for the best because my mood is still really foul.  How long am I going to feel like this because I can't live like this.  Why don't doctors warn you of the side effects?  If I had known this was a possible risk I would of never agreed to the shot I would rather be in agony than feel this anger and uncontrollability!

My 84 year old mother first had the gel injections in both knees and two weeks later a back Dr. gave her shots in her sciatica (sic)

tips.  All of a sudden her short term memory is gone.  She can't even remember talking to me from an hour and a half earlier.  I'm really worried.  Anybody heard of any of this.  I'm wondering if the sudden memory loss is related.  Coincidence?? 

I normally dont post on the net , but this REALLY needs to be talked about as the doctor that gave me my shot DIDNT mention that I may become a raging id**t .I nearly killed my dog .He is a one year golden-doodle hasn't got a mean bone in his body .The girlfriend and I pulled over to let him do his thing .earlier I had a cortisone shot in my knee it felt great .The poor dog wouldn't come to me when called I FREAKED chased him grabbed him it wasn't pretty .We researched my actions ( this isn't normal ) we love our dog .Just a WARNING it isn't worth it we are now trying a natural remedy still looking but NO MORE CORTISONE

I had my first cortisone injection into my L-5 on Friday. I am getting quite a bit of relief. However, I am experiencing some very serious and very drastic mood swings. Yesterday, I was a raging lunatic who was very hurtful to my fiancé. Today, I'm so lethargic I don't have any interest in anything. These mood swings have to be attributed to the epidural injection of cortisone...right?

I'm so glad I found this topic :'(

I get SI cortisone injections and while I can't say they make me very angry or experience rage (sorry for those that it does, that must be extremely scary!), I've noticed it makes me an emotional wreck and depressed as hell. Why don't doctors discuss these possible side effects? It's not like it's a little rash that will go away, all of this anger and emotional instability can be really life altering (hope I'm being too dramatic but this is how I'm thinking)!

Believe it or not, just right now as I am typing this, the surgical center where I had the procedure done called to check in on me. I told him how I am feeling and he said that the shots can cause anxiety, depression, and anger. First person in the medical field I've ever spoke to that mentioned it. So not only did I find all of you and your experiences with this but at the same time had a health professional verify these unmentioned psycho side effects. I guess that's a win-win in an otherwise day from hell. 

My thoughts are with all of you and hang in there. As for me, I'm not sure what to do now. Without the shots I'm in so much pain I can barely walk, plus I'm allergic to most anti-infammatory medications. I'd welcome any suggestions...:|

I'm so glad I found this..my husband is a Iraq war veteran with PTSD a TBI and degenerative disc with disc replacement at L5 to S1 

..we'll anyways the VA referred him to get epidural steroid shots. No warning of possible serious emotional side effects...even with him having Severe PTSD

I don't know what to do I have had at least 8 injection in my spine it work but the depression is so bad nothing mske me happy I am so afraid ofvwha t I might do do not have the will to go on it has gotten so b ad I wish I hadden got so ma ny will it stop eventully I am so scared I heard it may take a year or more to stop feeling this feeling this way and I read that the shot will mess u up the rest of your life even if u nev err r get another injection the damage is done already.