Im 25 years old and have been on the contraceptive pill leven-ed (think thats how its spelt?) for a few months when i was 19 but became quite emotional and depressed so came off it and jus used condoms up until now.

Last year in june 2010 i went to the doctors to get on the contraceptive pill, the nurse recommended i try depo provera and how it will be really good....1 injection every 12 weeks and iyt would be less hassle then the pill. I asked about possible side effects because alot of my friends had complained of weight gain, the nurse reassurred me that as a mother of twin boys i'd be very active and shouldnt put on weight and that women on depo who put on weight are most likely lazy and eat too much.
So anyway i decided to give it a try and with any luck it would cut off my period all together YAAY!!!! But boy was i WRONG!!!!

I got real bad nausea the first 2 nights (im figuring it was my body getting use to the injection) then the nausea passed and jus came about every now and again. But i started having BAD mood swings and would get easily aggitated and angry especially with my boys, and before the injection i had quite alot of patience. Then a month later i bled for 2 weeks, which felt like forever when usually my periods only lasted 4 days, then it stopped for a week and started up again then jus constantly bled for 5 months!!!!! >;)
It wasnt heavy but just constantly there SO annoying!! so i went to the docs and they gave me a pill called provera to stop the bleeding it worked for a week then i jus bled on and off, which to this day i am still bleeding on and off. I only had 1 shot and when i didnt stop bleeding i never got another 1 and decided it wasnt for me.

Ive gained 10 kgs and didnt eat more then what i did before and am stil active but the weight jus isnt goin away :-(
Im tired alot of the time and get hedaches quite often. my body just dosent seem to be the same anymore.
Has anyone had the same trouble? and if so when did things start to go back to normal.
Depo Provera worst decision ever!!!!!

Hi, i can sympathise with your depo symptoms, i was 39 when i had my first injection after failed attempts to fit a coil due to my womb being tilted, i was given no real advice except that it was extremely good form of contraception, i naively went ahead and there in began my nightmare. To cut a long story short i was on it 3 years and went from being 11 stone to 15st 1. I went from being fit and healthy to depressed with bone pain, memory and brain fog and irritable, but the worst side effect for me was the distension of my stomach, i looked like i was at least six months pregnant and was regularly asked when i was due, this became unbearable and i began to not want to leave the house due to self loathing of how i had become.
In those three years i never had a period.
I became aware in those years of other ladies issues with the depo and made a concious decision to come of it last year in may, my periods have returned after eight months. It ruined my relationship and caused huge damage to my confidence and health, i am currently battling with liver damage which i attribute the depo to causing though no evidence has been found it to be so.
I feel a long road to recovery is ahead for me as the poison of the depo leaves my body, i urge all ladies to think long and hard before entering into the nightmare relationship with depo provero and consider a more gentle safe alternative, we owe it to ourselves to do that.

I have the exact same symptoms as you all have. I have had the depo for over 18 years and no major side affects until the past 2 years. During that whole time no period just nervousness and severe mood swings and fatigue. I am 6 weeks coming off the depo. I am going through major withdrawals I have been in bed for 5 days I have no energy extreme fatigue, my back hurts and has a sicky feeling going down the back of it. I have night sweats and cold chills and a bad headache. I am very moody and feel sooo depressed and I accually have a good job nice home and really no worries to make myself this depressed. Is there anything I can try to lessen this withdrawal. I think my hormones are way out of wack and have stated taking the maca root to help jump start my system but no period yet!!! Any advice would be most helpful!!! Thanks

I'd just like to comment on this for anyone who's considering trying the depo shot.

Dont let horror stories put you off because everyone is different! My advice would be to try it for the first 12 weeks, give it a chance, if its not for you it's easy to stop.

I realise some people have bad reactions to it but for some its the best thing they've done, myself for example, I've been on depo for about a year and a half (the doctor recommended stopping after 2 years) I had some irregular bleeding for a while and usually a day or two after getting the injection I get a few headaches but it's not bad enough to outweigh the positives, my periods have now stopped completely which is like a blessing! I have had a small amount of wight gain but that may also be due to my uni diet (from 7 stone to 8 stone) but thats probably a healthier weight anyway. Don't be scared! Give it a go, you never know until you've tried :)

I recommend not using this poison. It ruined my life, and I attributes it to my severe endometriosis, IBS, abdominal migraines, and a never ending lithany of health problems. I was deceived by a obgyn a year after my third son was born with being given an injection that would stop my nightmare periods and all my female problems. He was a doctor, so I trusted him, naively trusting he had my best interests at heart. Boy, was I wrong! I had weight gain, intense anger, homicidial thoughts of killing myself and children. The next day I went to my primary and told hil the bizzare thoughts I was having, and he knew it was not in my character, and he put me on a strong antidepressant. I had severe mood swings, no sex drive, migraines, cyst like acne, never ending yeast and URI, bladder infections, growths on my female parts and weird rashes and welts, ovarian cysts, major depression, IBS, stomach pain, nausa, dizziness, swelling of the breast and tenderness, break through period bleeding and no bleeding. I was constantly on antibodies, yeast infection medications, usually strong yeast infection, lotions for rashes, pain medications. I was so fatigued all the time and I had no energy and I would just cry and cry. It made my life a nightmare. My primary was horrified and appologied over and over for sending me to that monster of a obgyn. Before I never had ovarian cysts, but commonly had them afterward, I always had terrible periods but after this Satan in a shot, as one writer described it, mine became unbearable. I hope whoever invented thos drug burns in hell along with that horrible doctor that did not bother to properly screen me for this poison. I would not give this to my worst enemy. It is horrible. It ruined my marriage, my life, my mind, and my health!

Sorry for what you've been through. I just got this shot a month ago, and can already tell it's bad. I have not stopped bleeding for one hour in a month, constant menstrual cramps and heavy chills, tired and dizzy. No more energy to work out. Im normally easy going and peaceful. lately I feel very irritable and short tempered. have heard if you continue the depo shot you can experience hair loss. I have 2 more months of these awful symptoms and I am DONE! I'll be taking birth control pills after this.

I agree with you 100%. I never been a depressed person intil coming off the depo. I regret it but praying to god for a speedily turn around

I switched from Mirena to the depo shot on may 1st. Huge mistake!! This shot is terrible. I ended up with deep vein thrombosis. Blood clots in both legs and groin. I've been out of work for over a month now because I have been in so much pain and so swollen I can't move, walk, or sleep. I was admitted into the hospital twice in the last month. I also had acute renal failure on a transplanted kidney which I believe is all related. I am on blood thinners and am hoping to get better soon. It's not worth the risk. Look up depo and dvt. It will shock you how many young women have had the same symptoms which by the way could kill you. I am getting Mirena implanted again at the end of the month and I'm hoping the depo hormones and side effects leave my body quickly.

I had psychotic episodes from Depo! Can you imagine looking at your kids and your thought out of the blue is you should kill your kids and yourself!? The mood swings, cyst like acne, I had chronic URI, no energy, ran fevers, started getting weird sores in my private areas, constantly sweating. It also caused endometrosis! I had bleeding issues prior to taking this poison, but nothing like afterwards! I had migraines that would last days! I had to get a D&C for all lining of my uterus. It destroyed my marriage, and I had weird health issues after. It should be taken off the market considering the huge issues it caused many women! I had to be on antidepressants for two years afterward! Sadly, my moronic obgyns did not catch the endometriosis. So my digestion track looks like ground meat! I have to take medication just to not throw up everything I eat.

I HATE THE DEPO SHOT.... I started the Depo shot in Jan 2017. Got it again April 2017. I went to the Dr. with such pain I thought I was pregnant and having a miscarriage because I felt like I was having contractions every 2 minutes for the hour in the Dr. office. I was told I was not pregnant and go home everything is fine. (So I wouldn't need a D&C) The Dr had me pee in a cup and didn't even examine me. I went to the bathroom after leaving her office and 1/2 of my pad was one big blood clot. I had 3 more of these clots after leaving the Dr office for the next 2 hours I went through this. I have been bleeding for 3 of the 6 months with lots of blood clots. I am so happy I am single. This is so gross. I used to be 3 day period and done. I am not getting the shot a 3rd time. I was filling pads so fast I soaked my jeans and had to go home a few times at work. (My daughter is on depo and seems fine. I don't get it. She has opposite reaction that I had. No periods and says she likes it.) We are all different. Good luck.

Like most people on here, Depo Shot is the worst decision I ever made. Having been going to the same doctor since the day I was born, I naively trusted her on getting this injection. I had my first March 2018 and will absolutely not be getting a second. I understand that yes, breakthrough bleeding is more common in the first 3 months, but what I have is a full force, nightmare period that began the day after the shot. Since then, my poor students comment on how I’m not a very nice person anymore, my patience level is 0. I have had a headache almost the entire time, I am suddenly a bottomless pit for food, and am so tired I can barely do anything. As I regularly say to my S/O, “I just really don’t feel right or like myself at all right now”. Keeping the fact that what’s happening really isn’t me at all but something I can’t get out of my body helps me to not feel as upset or anxious as I was at the very beginning of all this cause I know eventually I’ll be back to normal. Keep in mind to, at 28 this is actually my first time using any form of hormonal birth control. My body was completely natural and regular and healthy and now I just feel like complete sh*t. I just can’t believe this could be causing so much agony for so many people and they just hand it out this it’s nothing.

I should also mention that the pharmacist was the only person in the health field who seemed to care or feel bad about this situation. She has my taking a daily women’s vitamin, zinc supplement (made huge difference in sex drive, even though we currently aren’t having it since flow is so insane), 4000 vitamin D, B100 (I get heart pain every time I take this so I’ve cut back). I don’t take a calcium supplement because I drink enough milk and eat dairy. If you don’t though, you should be taking a calcium supplement as well. These vitamins have definitely lightened the severity of symptoms, except the bleeding. Cutting back on carbs and bringing in more deep leafy veggies has also seems to be helping with energy levels.