Can someone tell me more about Depo Provera? My friend told me that she made a mistake choosing Depo Provera. She says that it changes her life completely and that it is a poison. What is this drug all about? Is it true that it causes so many side-effects?

Depo Provera is a birth control method that is in a form of a shot. Instead of taking the pill every day, Depo Provera shot is taken three times a year. It can be given at the arm and the rear. It stops the periods but in some women this is not the case. There have been so many stories about women who have gone through hell because of this drug. I will tell you about some side-effects and there are so many of them. One of the most common side-effects of Depo Provera is enormous weight gain. Some women have reported up to 50 pounds of weight gain and it does not stop at this. Panic attacks, paranoia, nervousness, shortness of breath, great loss of libido, jaw pain, severe shoulder and neck pain, blurry vision, dizziness, yeast infection etc. The list can go on and on. Some women have all rights to say that Depo Provera is a poison, because that is exactly what it has done to them. It has literally poisoned them and made them crippled. I hope that your friend will be ok.

Depo should be called poison because that is what it is indeed. i was on depo for 4 years. My faince and I have been trying to concieve for the past 16 months. I have been off the depo shot for almost 2 years. Because I was on depo for as long as I was it has messed my body up soo bad. we have tried everything, including the rediculas myths of me laying on the floor with my feet on the bed. Depo made me so sick for so long, gve me IBS and has messed my stomach lining up so bad. I try to tell women not to be on depo at all. If you need a good birh control, then don't have sex, why put chemicals in your body. There are other ways to protect yourself from getting pregnant, don't do it by using Depo. PLEASE don't use Depo!!!

I used Depo for 3 years, I found it to be a fantastic birth control method. It is very convenient, only a quick shot 4 times a year. No need to worry about taking a pill every day, it is very reliable and I also had no periods which was a definate bonus. I have now finished taking it and my periods have returned to how they were pre-depo. I had no problems at all.

I got this injection at the beginning of this year and I have been on my period ever since. I am still on my period today and i have never felt so drained. It has almost ended my sex life and it has but alot of strain on my long term relationship.

I wouldn't recomend it, although it does work for some people.

i've had no problems with depo & i've had 2 injections so far

I have been on Depo for almost a year now. I didn't really have any problems after the first injection until a week before I was due for my 2nd and then I started bleeding which I was told is normal. After my 2nd injection the bleeding didn't stop and continued for my next 2 injections. I had my fourth injection in September and since then I really have not been bleeding, however I have noticed a little spotting or very little bleeding after intercourse and when I get very stressed. Is this normal? I have been getting dizzy within the last month and having cramps in my legs and hands. I am not sure if this is a result of the depo shot or not.

I used Depo for 10 years I have had alot of side effects .Really you dont see them at first but you do after a couple of years . I just didnt know that it was coming from the shot .I am 29 years old and I have osteopenia . I just got retested today to see if its better or worse .I have boils and bad Panic attacks ,actually to many things to mention but you should really take to heart what you read. Nuvo Ring is just as easy to use . I truly believe Depo poisoned my body .

I was on Depo for almost 4 years, and although I didn't mind the drug because I enjoyed not having periods/cramps/pms but the side effects could be rough. One of the side effects is hair loss, and my hair thinned out considerably and then started falling out in clumps and even after I got off the depo it never grew back to how it was before. It's still very thin, and most hair dressers tell me that at my age I shouldn't be at this stage of hair loss and it's all thanks to the depo. I would avoid it. Especially now that it has been linked to bone loss aswell.

I've heard many horror stories linked to "the shot" as many call it. I'd avoid it at all costs. Anything is better than long term effects that occur from it. I know a girl who had to be hospitalized due to it. She bled for so long and so heavy that she had considerable blood loss. And there's nothing they can do about it. They can't take the shot out. I know so many people that gained A LOT of weight from it and can't loss it now, even after stopping the shot. I know some that can't get pregnant now. I guess in that case it did it's job, huh? On the mild side, every women I know who has had it lost all libido and had severe mood swings.

I have been on the depo for about one year now.
I can say it is the best option for me, because i tend to forget to take a pill daily. I also dont like the idea of a physical insertion of any other forms of birth control.

My experinece with the depo may help you or your friend with your decision.

I like the facts that as soon as the shot is in, you can go have sex, with no worries.
I like the fact that its 99% effective.
I like the fact that it doesn't give me my monthly period.
I dont like the fact that because of no period, sometimes i question if i could be that .001%
I dont like the fact that for the first two months i had random spotting, sometimes heavy but after the 3rd injection, there was nothing.
I didn't like that i felt tired after the first injection. But come the second time i had the shot, that feeling faded.

I did have to sign a drug waver.. which seems almost scary and some people will warn you against something u have to sign to have administered. But take life as it is now... and don't worry!
It IS linked to osteoprosis.. but percentages of loss bone density is between 4-5%. As well as those are statistics over a 4 year span on the depo. They only recommend you use it for 2 years, before trying something new.

I like the depo, and i do not recieve any crazy side effects, besides the ones i listed. I like the fact that i am worry free for four months. I like the fact that its simple and cost effective. $25 every four months - cheaper if you have a medical plan. Birth control at teen clinics can cost you at minimum $10 bucks a package. Over four months, thats $40 bucks.

As for all these side effects... whose to say some side effects ppl have, they just automatically assume it was from the depo.
So for all these depo haters out there i have to ask you.. have you used the depo? For how long? And is everyone out there exactly the same? No. So ask your clinic nurse or doctor.

ive gotten 2 injections of depo so far im due for another this week. i will not be getting it. I was uninformed of all of the side effects, they told me SLIGHT weight gain and maybe some headaches and spotting. Ive gained almost 60 lbs in 6 months!!! I have worse headaches than ive ever had in my life, and i have them EVERY day. I have jaw pain, muscle pain,strage new hairs popping up, I cant become sexually aroused(so i guess i dont need birth control, lol), when i do have sex, its painful, yeast infection, urinary tract infection, and i notice now that even my speech is being affected. And you wanna talk mood swings? PMS is nothing compared to this, its rediculous. Its to the point i cant stand to get up and look at myself each day. also ive benn doing some research on the shot and you should look it up on wikepedia. the possibilites are pretty scary. i just hope that by not taking it anymore that i wont have to worry anout the stuff theyre saying...i recomend NEVER getting the shot, and if youre on it...STOP!! !

I was on Depo for almost 5 years, it was great not having a period but when i was ready to get off it became a living nightmare. I always had horriffic headaces and i gained 25 pounds. I have been off for about 4 months and i have had this brown gewwy looking stuff coming out the entire time. My breast had stoped growing for the past 4 years so now they growing really fast and im stuck with stretch marks. My doc. never told me any of the side effects. If i would have known i would have never gotten on it. Don't use it, it sucks!!!!

i was on depo for nearly 5 years and had my last shot in june 2005. my periods only came back in april 06 and as we are ttc with no luck i dont believe i am ovulating. i must admit i loved depo when i was on it but looking back it is a poison. i now have a labido and have better sex soz if tmi, for a year after coming off depo i also had huge boils, headaches (i took anadin daily) i could see my muscles in my arms deflating as the depo blew me up like a body builder but i have still to loose the 3 stone i have put on whilst on depo. i often bled after sex which is a passion killer now 19 months post depo my periods are still light and short. i just want this sh*t out of my system so that i can have the baby we long for!

I have been using the depo shot ever since my second child was 4 months old- I liked the convience and it was also safe while breastfeeding. I had NO problems with gaining weight on the shot until NOW... my first shot was in January 2006, second April 06, third July 06, fourth and last October 06. I even lost 50lbs from January to April. My last injection in October- immediately I felt 'different' my spine hurt the next day, I had some cramping for the next week. Over the course of Ocotober- December I gained 10 pounds ( I work out regularly and eat very well). On December 7th I started my period...(first perid since being on the depo shot) and I still have my period today 21 days later...
I really don't know if these symptoms are related to Depo, but I'm not willing to keep getting the shot. I've decided to allow my body to get rid of the chemicals and possibly consider waiting a few months to even try another birth control.