Before I took the depo shot, I was so in love with my boyfriend, I saw a future in us, and I knew that he was the one for me.

But after I took depo, all I did was doubt, doubt, doubt. I went through anxiety, depression, insomnia, and fatigue. I was insecure, doubtful of my feelings and the future of our relationship. It came to the point where thoughts of breaking up bothered me, and then the "friend" feeling was there whenever I'm with him.

I can't take it anymore. I just want everything to be back to how it was before depo provera.

I am 19 years old, 5'7" and weight 130lb. I am a healthy eater and I run everyday. I still have a month left before the 3 month is up... I've only taken 1 shot.

Are the symptoms different for people who used it longer?

For people who taken only 1 shot: How did you feel after the shot? Did you still have those feelings after the shot? What was the side effects coming off the shot? Did you stop having the "friend" feeling? How long did it take you to be emotionally stable again? I'm scared. I don't want to lose my sweet boyfriend.

I don't care about periods and pregnancies. I can tolerate periods and i don't want to be pregnant. I want to know more about peoples emotion coming off depo provera. I just want to be happy with my boyfriend again..

Thank you for taking your time to answer.

My boyfriend and I was on a breaking point before I told him the Depo Provera was causing the mood swings. He's more understanding and supportive now and he always says, "It's not you, it's the hormones talking," when i go crazy - and its true.

I also started eating healthy and exercise because thats the best way to counter the depression and mood swings. Trust me, you'll become happier from running outside for 30mins. Exercising and drinking water is good for the mind and body.

Just think positive - once the shot is over you'll be back to normal mentally.

Don't let Depo Provera depression and moodswings take over your life. All this is temporary and you'll be back to normal once the shot is out of your system.

I took one Depo shot..I have been bleeding now for 4 months....no deppression however very irregular bleeding

I had my first (AND ONLY) depo shot in July of this year. I was a generally healthy person, never really had any problems. Notice I said "was." Since taking that shot I have had nothing but problems. About a month after having the shot I would have extreme bouts of sadness where I would just cry and cry and cry, for no reason at all. I had just moved into a new apartment, I have a wonderful boyfriend who will soon be my husband. I have every reason to be happy, but I can't thanks to depo provera. Last month I developed a digestive problem that my doctor said was IBS, but never really made a clear diagnosis. About three weeks ago I started having panic attacks. At first the symptoms were isolated, but now they are happening ALL THE TIME. I get severe dizziness, and disconnection from everything around me. I have headaches, nausea, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, and chest pain. I am so weak at times that I can't even get out of bed. Last week I missed 5 days of work. I'm constantly worried that I am dying because no one can tell me what's going on. In the back of my mind I know that it's the shot. It's just really hard because I honestly feel terrible ALL THE TIME. This is the worst thing that has ever happened to me, and I will definitely NOT be getting another shot. I cry all the time partially from the symptoms, and also simply because I just don't know what to do. I feel absolutely hopeless! If you have had bad side effects from the shot, do not feel crazy. This is real, and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

I had a bad time on depo too.. Especially towards the end of the 3 months (my 1st shot). I felt like I was dying - my heart would beat like crazy when I ate any food that had salt or lots of oil - which is almost everything. I put on so much weight. Felt dizzy all the time. I'd get tired so easily. & be so moody.

Currently going through a rough patch with my boyfriend, just because I think I was hard to deal with during this time and he doesn't quite understand how it is!

Discharge was horrible during depo. After it ran out I had a 'period' - it was brown and not smooth like it should be. It came out like little clots. Very horrible. Bled for about a week and a half, it happened again after about 3 weeks.. And after that I had what seems like a normal period (but a lot lighter than s**t it used to be like before depo).

Still trying to lose weight. Not sure if I want to go back on depo again. Would not recommend it for anyone that's gonna try for a baby within the next 2 years....!

im coming off depo too after one shot also. i feel like i got preg. which i dont understand cause i had my preriod. but i do. gained so much more weight after i didnt get my next then i did in the first 3 months. i want to eat everything! i just want it ot end. any answers when that will be! : :'(

i was on the depo for 6 months after the second shot i got chest pains heart pulputations, just felt like i was having a heart attack, went to docs who rushed me to hospital and gave me heaps of tests the only thing that came back was stressed heart. i looked on the net and realized its from the depo, my only problem is that 7 odd months from taking last shot im still having the side effects, and iv only just got my period back but its coming every 8 days, its driving me mad and i just want to be back to normal again. has anyone had anything like what im having or know how much longer id expect to keep getting these side effects????
help
thanks

I hear all of you.  I just went to my OB about this.  I've been a total mess, with lack of concentration, moody to where one minute I'd cry, the next I was pissed at everyone and everything around me, no period still after 6 months...all of this from 1 shot!!!  I will never have another.  I had a blood clot and high enough blood pressure to go to the hospital when I first had this shot, but getting off of it seems even harder than getting on it.  My doc took blood tests and was able to determine that my progesterone levels were very low and that was causing the menopausal symptoms, as well as making me tired, etc.  I'm now taking a 10 day regimine of progesterone and that should give me a period and hopefully get me back to normal.  I wouldn't recommend the shot to anyone.  Anything that causes this many people this many issues is not a good alternative.  A condom is easier by far!!!

omg ive had ONE shot its up in a week and i have gained almost 15 pounds ITS INSANE BECAUSE I DONT EAT ANY DIFFERENT. The relationship with my boyfriend has been rocky due to my crazy mood swings and paranoia.HATE IT

Hav only had 1shot aswel bt this feelin is too much for me to handle i cnt love my fiance or enjoy sex the way we used to do,it upsets me i fill lyk m gonna run mad i nid hlp aswel..gudluck

omg! you sound just like me!!
i took 1 shot in august, 11 after i had a miscarriage (was very hard on me)
Soon after i was feeling so insecure of myself, questioning everything around me!
Me and my boyfriend started to have problems because i was always too sensitive about things, and getting mad over stupid things!
Id always think to myself when did i become like this, this isint like me...
Idk if maybe im just deluding myself into thinking it was the shot but now that ive read your post and everyone elses reply, it has to be it!
Im still recovering from that 1 shot and trying to get my period back to normal and look for a safer birth control.
And sadly my relationship is also slowly recovering :(
i hope that we make this through! and i can prove that shot it was EVIL!!

Hi there,

I just wondered how long it took you to feel OK after not taking the shot anymore. I have had 2 injections and horrendous side effects. I feel ill ALL of the time. Please let me know there is some hope of feeling good again? Thanks.

i took depo once and ive been bleeding for 7 months. please if u can reply as to how you are doing now, and if u were diagnosed with anything and what treatment u are on?

minky wrote:

Quote:

Hi there,

Hi there, I had 2 injections of depo and I was also incredibly ill and have to give up my job. Severe depression, extreme fatigue, confusion, muscle spasms, IBS, blurred vision, constant bleeding etc. and the list goes on. I am 1 week out from my last injection ending. So my 3 rd shot was due 1 week ago. Don't ever get another shot. It is evil stuff and can really damage you. Try and get your progesterone levels checked as the depo can destroy them and that in itself can make you feel very depressed and generally sick. I am now on bioidentical progesterone to increase my levels, album you cannot take this while the depo is active. You need to wait until 12/13 weeks post injection. See an endocrinologist. Don't just buy the cream yourself. Your magnesium levels may also be very low as synthetic hormones can do that, and they can also screw up your vitamin D3 levels. Most people say a level of 80 is ok, but my hormone specialist said it should be more like 120. Also, get your DHEA levels checked. Sadly, apart from the magnesium and taking at least 500iu of D3 per day, plus 1000mg calcium per day, plus a good female multivitamin and mineral supplement, there isn't much else u can do until it wears off. I am still very tired, have ibs symptoms and get quite dizzy, but am a lot better than I was. If I am honest, I was close to checking myself into a mental home as I felt so detached, strange and ill. Hang in there! It will get better. Drink lots of dandelion root tea to help flush it out of your liver, peppermint tea if gastric problems, go to bed at 8pm each night, lots of water and every week give yourself a pat on the back for getting through another week. Try not to drink alcohol as this will give your liver extra unnecessary work and make u even more tired. Also get your iron levels checked if u are bleeding a lot. Post back if need anymore info, but you will get better xx

I feel like I have just read the last 6 months of my life, I too moved in with my boyf and the first month of having the injection I suffered with heavy periods and severe cramps that I was unable to walk, I also started to have large clots whilst bleeding -that I took myself to A&E as I had no idea what was wrong. I was referred back to my GP the doctor told me I had an adverse reaction to this which was rare (however the more I read not so rare!) and both my GP and me were in agreement not to have a second shot which was due 2 months later -in that time I continued to bleed constantly, become very anxious, crying for no reason, getting awful migranes, convinced myself I was ill (had scans, test etc all telling me I was "normal") all leading to high blood pressure which the GP says is stress related!! I'm now trying my best to combat the anxiety and blood pressure with exercise, healthy diet lots of water, avoiding stressful situations etc everything they tell you to do .... but what I hadnt realised even if you dont have another shot the depo remains in your system as it stores in your fat cells until it completey wears off, so 3 months on I'm still bleeding 28 days out of the month, not as heavy throughout but still bleeding, the headaches have subsided but I still get them, I'm exhausted, I'm "stressed" and just want this out of my system now!! Have gone back to the doctor's today about the bleeding as I go on holiday soon and have been prescribed the combined pill (Loestrin 20) which I have now read about but I'm now absolutely scared about taking any hormone contraception as I do not want to feel like this ever again!!

I spoke to friends prior to the injection some which were still having them some that had stopped due to wanting to get pregnant and none of them described any of these things but I defintely will not be recommending this to anyone!