I got my first depo shot in January of 2005, that was the last period I had until December 25 2006 and it has not gone away, I am on day 9 of my period. It is brownish red, has a little bit of an oder, and light and spotty. about 5 days into it I started getting some dizzy and light headed spells. Just yesterday I started cramping up, I am just miserable.
today is January 3rd and my doctor can not see me until January 8th. She told me to go get a home pregnancy test , I did and it came back negative thank goodness, however I am scared. I dont mind having a period but when i did it was always 3 days long light but steady and light pink in color. not what i am dealing with right now.

has anyone had this issue or can tell me what may cause this.

thank you

I only had two doses of the depo. I noticed that I didnt really feel well while I was on it, I didnt have alot of energy, and I believe ive had some problems with my memory due to the shot. My Last shot was due in December which I did not get. Right after I went off of it I had irregular bleeding which was brown and sometimes clumpy w/ mucus. Its been almost 3 months since then and I still have the bleeding and I just started getting dizzy, light headed, and very shaky. And I wasnt exactly sure if it was because of depo, but now reading this im starting to think it is because of it. Miserable is a good word to describe how this feels. Im hoping to go to the doctor tomorrow, Can you tell me what your doctor said about this?

My last depo shot was in Aug 06, on Feb 16th 07 I got a light 4 day period. On March 2 I got another 3 day light period. On March 8th I started bleeding out a river for 6 days. On March 21st I started again and on day 8 it shows no signs of stopping. I want to nap all time and frequently fell depressed or upset.

I think I'm going thru post partem but with no baby!!!!!!

I went off depo in August, and I've only been OFF my period for an acculated total of about 3 weeks since Thanksgiving (a few days here and there it will stop, then back to heavy bleeding). I've been wondering if it was the depo, too.
I found iron supplements only helped my energy level to a point, and went on a higher-protein diet. My energy levels are better now, but I'm still bleeding. Can't afford to go to a doctor about it, either. Can't even afford the time off work I would need to go a minimal cost clinic.

I had my first depo provera shot in January 2007. I had my period 3 weeks after and this lasted for 6 whole weeks!
Every time I had a new injection my periods lasted forever!
Then in December 2007, I decided to stop having this injection. It is now April 2008 and I havn't had a period since!

I am not pregnant so cannot understand why this has happened. Really worried though so would like to know if anyone else has experienced this?

I came off Depo 9 months ago and I haven't had a period since I came off it. When I first started it I had a three month period, which drove me crazy, but I persevered. Then I gained weight, become moody, lost my energy, and decided to come off it a year later. Now I'm still waiting for my period. Although it's nice not to have one, it does get quite worrying sometimes when I think I might be pregnant and I'm not. Waste of money on pregnancy tests and waste of time worrying, which causes stress, which probably keeps my period away even longer. I'm never going to have this injection again! I'm also going to start taking iron pills and eating more fruit and vegetables, drinking water and green tea to flush the hormones out of my system, because this is getting ridiculous.

the only reason why i got on the depo in the first place was because i was super anemic. i was eighteen and had to get two blood transfusions within a two week period because my blood flow was so heavy it dropped my hemoglobin down to 6 when its supposed to b at 14. depo has seriously ruined me. i got on depo in august 2007 and had the last one in december 2007. not even a year. it made me depressed all the time and gave me horrible hot flashes. i was so moodie. however since february i havent had a period. it is now june. i know that isnt a long time but ive always had a period, heavy, bad ones. i dont want to get my hopes up about being pregnant. i just got married and it would be a huge blessing if i was. but after reading your blogs i realize that its the depo that is messing with me. i get light headed and dizzie constantly and i feel as though i am going to faint. i hope this nightmare gets over soon so i can live my life without feeling sick all the time. if i could give any advice it would be to never get on the depo shot. NEVER!

I started taking depo shots in February 2008. For the first three months my period was more frequent with spottiness and occasional excessive bleeding - one night I bled through a tampon so badly, it looked like I had a miscarriage . I received another shot in May which led to nonstop bleeding. I called the clinic several times to make another appointment for a shot (being told that eventually my period would disappear altogether)... to no avail. So once I got a hold of them, I told them I would be stopping the shot. It has been a month since I should have received the last dose and I'm still bleeding. Never been through so many tampons in my life. I have no sex drive whatsoever and I'm irritable all the time. Sometimes, I'll snap at something without even realizing it. I feel like this stuff is poison. Nothing should change your cycle like that. Once my sex drives kicks back into gear, I'm sticking to the condoms... they help multi-task no stds and no babies. Works for me because I don't need either!

I had my last injection for Depo Provera in August 2006 in September 2006 I bled on and of for 2-3 weeks and I havent had a period since and its now August 2008 - I have had tests to show that my Oestrogen levels are low and have had a scan to check inside is ok. I have been given the pill to get the period back, but not sure this is the right way to go because I want a natural period again and it was taking contraceptive that put me in this mess in the first place! Its really worrying and I was never told that Depo Provera had such risks! I only had 3 Injections! I also wonder if that is why I was severely depressed at the time to the point I quit my job which I used to love so much because I felt like I couldnt cope. In a nut shell I really do not recommend it to anyone!

I went on Depo Provera and had two shots altogether--Oct 07 and January 08. During that time, i had every bad side effect--blurry vision, moodiness, hair falling out, weight gain, hot flashes. You name it, I had it. January 08 was my last shot and now it's September and my cycle still isn't remotely normal. I've now had my period for over a month straight--since sometime in mid-July. Yes, all of August. My OB-GYN (male) told me in spring that it will take my body awhile to get over the hormones, but this is just ridiculous. Depo Provera was one of the worst decisions I have ever made. I'm constantly tired and depressed. Argh!

I have just recently started taking depo and my doctor told me that it would stop the painful periods that cause me to cry. However I have had two shots of Depo and my period has been non-stop I have said this to my doctor telling him that It is more painful then it was before and I can go through Pads fast then a male eating dinner. He goes and tells me that nothing is wrong. But to have a Period for more then three months straight isn't right and now that I have really low blood pressure and it is effecting my calcium levels it worries me even more. I have been to the hospital several times because of the pain I am in. Sometimes my hubby has to carry me to the car because I am in so much pain. Has this happened to anyone else???

I Am so stressed because I was a heavier female before I started Depo Size 14 jeans and Now I am in a size four I have dropped ALOT of weight in just over four months. I can't eat and I can't sleep Because I can't stop thinking what is wrong with me????

I've been on Depo for 8 years....I'm now almost 24 yrs old...I loved depo...I never had a period...I never experienced any weight gain or depression...and never got pregnant...The only thing that worries me is...I had to get off it because I no longer had insurance about 6-8 months ago...and I have only had one period since...Its been 6 weeks since my last cycle and I've been experiencing cramping for the past 2 weeks but nothing comes of it...I've been moody and my face is starting to break out a little...(which it has never done before). I took a pregnancy test and it was negative...I just wonder whats going on.....I do plan on using Depo Provera again...just as soon as I can afford it.

Wow, I hadn't thought about the fact I've been inexplicably depressed since I took the shot, my breasts are gargantuan (I'm busty) and painfully tender, I bleed all the time and I can't lose weight, I even feel like I'm gaining. I will never do this again. Any idea when I should start feeling better? It's been six weeks.

I started the depo in march of 08 and I went from 147 to 153 in a years time . the shots stop my period for 7 weeks but after that , its on for 4 to 7 weeks . This is very very depressing. I don't think this is normal at all . To have to endure a period for 7 weeks is just down right horrible. I am moody all the time . hot flashes are just the worst. if anyone can give me advice on what to do HELP

I went on the shot when I was young..doctors didn't tell me adolescents were not supposed to take it...and I had been on it for a few years when the new warnings about bone deficiency came out so I didn't read the pamphlets anymore. I was on it for 5 years when a doctor finally raised an eyebrow wondering why no one ever told me that you can't take it for more than 2 years unless you have endemetriosis(?).
Anyway, I had taken a break before and bled for 3 months so went back on it...5 years later I knew it I had to regulate myself so I went on the ring for three months after going off the shot. My periods were fine on the ring, but I didn't like the side effects so I've decided to go all-natural....I've had my period for three months strait now with no end in sight. I've also gained 15 pounds, but I also quit smoking as part of this all-natural kick... has anyone waited it out and gone back to regular cycles without other birth controls or hormone therapies?