I was on the depo shot for twelve years and loved it mainly because I had no period. The doctors took me off recently because I was showing early signs of bone loss. My last shot was July 2007 and my period didn't come back until May 2008. It was the heaviest period I ever experienced for three days and then I got a second period for another four days at the end of the same month, only about twenty days apart. I am also experiencing major mood swings, mainly crazy outbursts of uncontrollable crying. I am also having problems sleeping which has never been a problem for me. I also seem to be sweating more often than usual. Hopefully all these side effects subside soon and my body gets back on track. I am not sure if I would recommend the depo shot as the best form of birth control.

I was on the depo shot for a year. I hated that I gained 20 lbs and was so tired all the time. When I was due for another shot, end of July 2008, I became so ill. I was nauseas for a week, I was puking for an entire morning. Eventually got to the point where I couldn't eat anything. I was stuck eating soup for a month. I couldn't hold anything down and it was extremely hard to swallow. To this day, I am still having trouble eating and drinking certain things and I still have nauseating days. My breasts are very tender as well, just feeling very swollen, sore to the touch. My periods are normal, I am back on the pill, and even with all the tests I've gone through, doctors could not find anything wrong until I said my body is going through a withdrawl from the depo. I would not recommend it to anyone and hope that it gets taken off the market.

I had a baby 9/22/08 and bled for the normal 6 weeks, got my FIRST and ONLY depo shot 11/3/08 and have bled ever since! I did stop on 2/16/08 and then started having preg. symptoms (headaches, brerast sensitivity, bloating) then on 2/24/08 was relieved to have started what I thought was my period. I did also have a neg. preg. test so thats not an issue. My issue is that I have been bleeding for 5 months!! on top of that I am an EMOTIONAL WRECK!!! I just want to be normal again. I have been seeing the dr regularly and they insist everything is ok! Today I was given a 3month starter kit of Seasonique to counteract the side effects from depo. I am VERY RELUCTANT to take this as I have NO IDEA what it will do to me. I am scared! I dont feel like myself and the only thing the dr can offer me is more hormones!! How long do you think it will take for the depo to get out of my system naturally? I only had ONE shot!!

I had a baby 9/22/08, bled for the first 6 weeks, got my checkup and the dr. recommended depo. I got my first and ONLY shot 11/03/08 and have been bleeding EVER SINCE! I did stop for like a week, on Feb 16 then began to have preg. symptoms (headaches, nausea, bloating, breast sensitivity, etc) had a neg. preg. test and on Feb 24 when I began cramping and having what I thought was my period I was happy to be back to normal. Except Im STILL bleeding!! Got a checkup today doc says everything looks ok but recommended Seasonique to stop the bleeding and control my moods as I have been a hormonal wreck!!! I am TERRIFIED to start taking this because I dont want to have another BAD experience. I figure, I can wait it out for the depo to get out of my system but HOW MUCH LONGER!! Had I read up thoroughly on depo before getting the shot I would NOT have gotten it! Now that Im reading up on Seasonique, I dont want to take this either!! What do I do???

have you tried high strength evening primrose oil for the mood swings?

I am on my last depo injection now, but have had to take epo for years now just to cope with the hormonal upheavals.

Hello Itownmama, I wanted to find out how you are going because I just got a shot of depo jan 22, 09 and I can't stand it. I gained weight even though I've been working out constantly. Do you have any thoughts about how long it stayed in your system?

Im also having problems with depo, I had a shot 6 months ago and got side effects straight away. I didnt go for the next shot. How did your side effects fade? My moods are just getting more and more unpredictable and extreme. Im not sure wether this is a good sign and that it means im on the mend or if i should be worried. Such random swings are even more difficult to deal with than the constant depression I suffered when I was actually on depo.

Help!

I've been doing some research on the side effects of coming off the depo and came across this. There is information about the possible side effects going on the depo but nothing about coming off. I've been off the depo for about 1 month now after being on it for about 5 years. I wasnt fully aware of my wellbeing until today when I didnt feel well - i then realised this has been an ongoing thing since I came off the depo. This then prompted me to do some research.

I've been feeling a bit down, finding it hard to sleep, nausea, mild headaches which i thought maybe a result of not getting enough sleep. The nausea is quite bad - feels like i'm experiencing morning sickness...whats up with this - I'm 'definitly not pregnant but its quite bad as I find myself having to lay down for a rest. Feeling down is really wierd too because i wouldn't usually feel down about that kind of stuff. Maybe its the hormones rebalancing or something. I just hope it doesnt go on for much longer

Hello all,

I have been reading over a couple of these posts and thought I would right o get abit of help. While many doctors say its ok to be irregular and bleed between periods after coming off depoI am alittle worried and wondered whether anyone had experianced the same. I was due my last depo shot on November 5th but chose not to have it as wanted my periods back and to get back to a normal cycle. Since then I have three pretty regular periods...begining of Jan, Feb and March. However I have a small bleed inbetween each of them and this one is even heavier than the last two. Is it normal to have this and also for it to be so heavy and have blood clots? It usually only lasts like 2 or 3 days but I am worried...if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated :-)

I am coming off depo recently and have been on it for about 2 years. I have experienced a laundry list of withdrawal symptons:

Anxiety
Depression
Anger
Severe Mood Swings
Over Sensitivity
Crying all the time
Cant fall asleep
All I want to do is sleep
hot flashes
cold flashes
headaches
nausea
vomtiing
and i can keep going

I am just happy to know there is nothing wrong with my head because my whole family ganged up against me and thought i was insane. I just dont know what to do to make this all go away faster, i cant take it nemore!!

Have been in touch with friends and symptoms are relaively close to feeling pregnant.
Such side effects even include breast becoming quite tender and developing breast milk as well which has really freaked out my friends especially how they have just come off and feel that they have just fallen pregnant however they are NOT. They have put it down to the symptoms they have experienced coming off depo. Not nice at all. Other symptoms include depression - feeling down, nausea, sometimes I would even have a metalic taste in my mouth, loss of appitite .....list goes on.

Hi Ladies. I just wanted to share my experience. I started the depo shot June of 2009 and then got two more shots. so, I was on it for about a year. having had a bad experience with birth control before, yaz to be exact, I knew I was reacting to the depo as soon as I started to feel like c**p. Weight gain, bloating, feeling aches and pains, complete loss od sex drive. Did you know they give depo to sex offenders to chemically castrate them??? they do. anyhow, decided to get my last and final shot in November 2009. Just got my preiod April 27th 2010 for the first time in a year. it wasn't too bad. I did have extremem cramping but it only lasted a day or two and my flow was not heavy at all. got another period yesterday may 10th 2010. I figured this would happen until my cycle regulates itself. this period is pretty light and no cramping at all. My point is my body is getting back to normal. My sex drive returned. I don't feel as bloated and im not contsantly hungry. hang in there ladies. Give your body a chance to rebound. It will eventually. I was on depo for abouit a year and it took me about 6 months after my last shot to start to get back to normal.

For medical reasons I started taking the depro shots. I was concerned because I previously had Lupron shots and had a bad experience with those. I have only had the depro shot twice and regret ever taking it. Can anyone tell me how long it took for your body to feel whole again? I've been working out intensly just to try to maintain my current weight but I'm loosing the battle.

Dori

hey... i took the depo in october 2008 when i was 18, i decieded to come off it even though i have had no side effect and i had a good experience whilst on it, since coming off it when my last one was due on the 15th of august and i have had constant cramps, bloating, weight gain etc and honestly wish i never went on it now... and i have still had not had a period, i just want them back now, how long has everyone else had to wait ??? x

I am 19 years old had taken the depo shot for my whole senior year and didn't get a single period now I have been off of it for a year and can not get rid of my weight gain and feel the symptoms of being pregnent I will be going to see my doctor next week to find out what he can do to help i also experience everything everyones been saying such as depression mood swings and all that but the thing i am most worried about is it's been two years since i've gotten a period i am scarred this will hurt my changes of later having a child.