I got the Depo-provera injection and it has caused me nothing but problems. I've got a prolonged period and i'm into my 5th month of bleeding. I'm only 17 and I feel so alone. I've been told that I shouldn't have been given the injection because I am too young. Is this true? I need to talk to someone else who has also had this injection or knows someone who has. Can anyone help me?

x x x

I have had the depo shot, and I personally didn't like it. I had my period constantly just like you did. I was 18 when i got it, right after i had my daughter. Everyone kept telling me it was going to take some time for my body to adjust to it. so i tried it for almost a year, before i got my IUD put in, which that isn't really helping either! %-) I don't see why someone would tell you you are too young, if anything they should be happy that you are resonsible enough to be on BC. Also with the Depo I gained like 30-40 pds while on it. I wasnt eating any different or anything. I hoped once i got off it I would be able to drop some weight but now I'm struggling with being overweight.. I think the Depo shot is EVIL! But then again it stopped me from having another kid! I havent had much luck with BC! I got prego while on the pill, gained weight non stop period while on the depo, and with the IUD i havent been able to enjoy my fav positions during sex. they say it just my cervixs is very tender. but things are getting better with the IUD. slowly but getting there! my doc told me that I may just have to surf around with BC until I find one that suits me best. maybe thats the same with you. i hoped i helped you out a little! :-D

Thank you very much for replying! It does help to hear from someone else who has had the injection and sufferered from the side effects aswell. It sounds like you've had a much harder time of it than me which makes me feel like a right daft sod for feeling so low. I hope you eventually find a contraceptive that works for you! Thanks again :-)

I know this is late to be posting in this thread, but for those doing research that come across this later I thought I would post my experience w/ depo. I got my first shot about 2 years ago. At first, I bleed for a couple weeks. It bothered me, so I called the dr. It was easily fixed with a prescription for a little estrogen to balance out my hormones some. It was a small dose, took for just a week, and didn't interfere with the shot at all. It worked after just 2 days, and everything was fine since. Now I don't even have a period (which I love). So if you are bleeding continously on the shot, call your DR!! Its easy to fix!

Secondly, I was on bc pills for 4 years and they did havoc on my body. I gained a total of 70 lbs during that time and developed a blood clot. That got me off the pill ...scary. The dr suggested trying the shot, as I had already tried an IUD and it didn't stay in place. I was scared about the weight gain, I certainly did need any more! But I tried it anyhow out of desperation. Turns out I didn't gain a single pound, and even started losing a little, thank goodness!

Not that there aren't a bunch of people that hate the shot and have had bad reactions, every person is different. What maybe didn't work for them, might still work for you. But if something isn't working, don't waste your time (like I did w/ bc pills); move on and try something else. Just my 2 cents.

these posts helped alot. i was thinking of getting the Depo shot, but now...i'm not so certain it's my miracle bc. i definitely DO NOT want to gain any weight. especially as much as 60 lbs! this topic helped me in my decision and made me think more carefully about the bc i choose. THANK YOU!

i was on the injection for 2 years. it stoped my periods, made me loose weight and made my boobs look realy fake the only down side was that i ended up with a scar on my rite bum cheek its like a dent in my muscle and looks awfull

I've been on the Depo Provera shot for 11 years, yes, 11 years. I was 17 when I got it, I am now 28. I have not had any bad side effects. I did come off of the shot for only 3 months during the 11 years, and was on the Nuvaring...I hated it. The Nuvaring gave me bad side effects. After a visit with my doctor, I learned that I cannot have birth control that contains estrogen...it makes me sick (dizziness, nausua, vomitting for days straight). Depo Provera does not contain estrogen. I've done lots of research on the Depo, and I am very well aware that I may have lost bone density over the years. But in my research, it is not "definate" that every person loses bone density. Some women have gotten off the Depo, and their bone denisty was not affected. In my opinion, when it comes to birth control (or any medication), EVERY person is different and it may have different effects on each person. I personally have not had any bad experiences or effects with the Depo. In regards to the weight gain issue with the Depo, I have read about research done, and the Depo ITSELF does NOT cause weight gain....what the Depo does is it increases appetite, which in turn causes some people to eat more. So basically, the Depo doesn't make you gain weight, you control when and what you eat, so its up to you if you will give in to the increased appetite. But again, not everyone experiences the weight gain, the increased appetite, etc. I know I don't. Over the 11 years, yes, I gained weight, but it wasn't due to the Depo, it was due to me growing up and that's what happens as you grow. I was 17 when I started, so of course at the age of 28 I'm not going to be the same weight I was at 17. My weight gain has been normal over the years. I like the Depo, and its great not having a period for all those years. If you have concerns, please speak to a doctor and try different methods to see which is best for you.

Depo Provera is the devil! I'm 37... I got the shot because my doc had tried about every other BC (I thought) and I was having heavy periods and awful cramps. I got 3 shots starting in Oct 08. It's now Mar 09 and I haven't stopped bleeding. I'm on my second month of Seasonique BC and it doesn't make a difference. I'm still bleeding and I'm miserable. When my doc said Depo might make me spot... I didn't know this was spotting... my period is medium to heavy EVERY DAY! I haven't had a shot since November, and yet, it won't stop. And to top it off, I had a laparoscopy done and I have 3 fibroid tumors. I think that's because of the Depo Provera, too. I would not take this if I were given the chance to do it over and knew what I know now. I would have taken Seasonique, which I didn't even know existed (it is supposed to give you 3 months w/o a period... but I wouldn't know...).

You are not alone! I'm 18 and I got the Depo shot, In the beginning everything was fine. but I started getting my period and I've had for about 3 weeks now. It's terrible

i was on the depo for 6 months that evil sh*t mad me mean and made me gain 40 pounds what kinda c**p is that the depo is nothing i would recamend for anyone i got off and got on the pill

Like several people have stated above, side effects of the Depo shot (or any birth control for that matter) will vary depending on who you are. I got the depo shot a month and a half ago and have not gained any weight, but I have had a period ever since. The only thing that makes this period an unusual side effect of the Depo is that I am a breastfeeding mother, and breastfeeding women do not get periods. I did alot of research on the Depo (unfortunately, I did this research AFTER I got the shot), especially reading other women's opinions and experiences of the shot. A good site to look at is the american pregnancy association's website. It will give you the typical side effects of the shot, how effective it is, and the pros and cons to the shot.

This shot is pure poison. ON top of all the other shitty effects, I went from 125lbs to 150 lbs, the heaviest I've ever been in my life, in just 4 months, and I changed NOTHING, I was eating healthy and exercising the whole time. I"ve never been this fat before, and it won't come off !
I would rather have gotten PREGNANT, because pregnancy weight would have been a breeze to lose compared to this BS.

well i only had three injections and da last one was in october 2009 and i had to go back in january 2010.and didnt get the shot now its april 2010 and i been tyring to concieve. :-D is there a chance that i can get pregnant? i dont have periods so can i really get pregnant while im not having periods.? i really am trrying does anyone know anything if so can you please help me

I can sympathize. I tried the depo shot because the pill made my blood pressure sky rocket. I had 2 injections and I gained almost 30 lbs in 6 months. I then continued to gain once I got off of the shot. It also made me extremely depressed to the point where I had serious suicidal thoughts, I slept constantly, and I bled for almost 2 months when I first got on it. I personally continued to gain weight after stopping it, even though when I started the shot I was actually the most active that I had been in my life. I now cannot lose the weight that I have gained and have a total of 60 extra lbs from less than 2 yrs. I hope my story helps you a little bit in understanding that this side effect is definitely not an isolated incident and I believe it is far more common than reported in the side effects manual given with the shot.

I had the Depo shot in September last year and have had nothing but problems ever since. I can honestly say it's the biggest mistake I have ever made. I've never joined a forum before, but having read numerous posts while searching for help, I've decided to share my findings... Firstly - where constant bleeding/spotting is concerened... I am still suffering with this... but I am currently taking Agnus Castus, which is a hormone balancer and period regulator. I've only been taking this supplement for a few days and have noticed a difference. Bleeding is lighter and more managable. I am taking 2 tablets twice a day with meals. Also... I've discovered Soft Cup which is available from Boots which makes intercourse mess-free.Secondly - Don't just accept weight gain and put it down to too much food. It could be water retention. I am also taking a course of water balancing tablets and the excess weight I've been carrying has dropped off me within a couple of days. I would highly recommend giving this a try if you have noticed unexplained weight gain while on Depo. These things have given me a massive amount of relief, so before having a nervous breakdown... it's worth giving them a try... :)