Hi everyone,

I'm new on here and I just wanted to get some feedback and support from Depo Provera users. 

A little background about me - I am 21 years old, sexually active, never been pregnant or had any pregnancy scares, healthy as a horse.

In November 2011, I asked my doctor about different methods of birth control because I was constantly not taking my pill at the same time, or missing days. She suggested some options and I chose the Depo shot due to it's low cost in comparison to the other methods she listed. On November 29th I was injected with my first (and only) dose of Depo. Since then I have put on about 15 pounds in weight, I feel bloated and round. I am not sure if it caused any anxiety or depression in me because I already suffer from general anxiety disorder. Nothing in my life changed other than the shot in order to cause this weight gain. 

In the past I have suffered with low self esteem to the point where I resorted to purging and restriction to lose weight or maintain my weight - In the past 1.5 years I have been making huge strides to become healthy and lose the eating disorder symptoms. This weight gain is a huge set-back in the recovery of how I think about myself and my weight. 

Note- I was supposed to receive the second shot on Feb 29th 2012, but did not, and am now on no form of BC.

What I would like to know is: Are there any other young females out there (who were never pregnant) who got the shot only once or twice, and when did they notice their bodies returning to normal? I've seen similar threads, but many responses came from woman who used the shot for multiple years, or who had received the shot after child-birth. I just want to be back in control of my own body, get a regular period back, and shed this un-wanted weight gain. I feel very helpless at the moment, and am worrying.

My anxiety and eating disorder tendencies are telling me one minute that my weight is going to keep climbing exponentially, or that I need to restrict (my doctor says food or lack-thereof did not cause the weight gain, so it will not be what reverses it either) - I just really need some support. Does anyone have any sort of good news for me? Has anyone done a de-tox that worked to quicken the process of ridding your body of Depo?

Please any type of feedback or support or advice is welcome.. or even a kind word, Lord knows I need one with the anxiety I am feeling about this.

u can go ask ur doctor to c if u r okay.

Well, I'm not in the same boat as you, but I'm on Depo and have had 3 doses so far. I know that Depo causes a considerable amount of weight gain soon after discontinuation. Since it's also a long lasting BC, it takes quite a few months for your body to adjust to the discontinuation (the shot of only supposed to last 3 months, but lots of women say it takes much longer than that). So just give it a little time..! X)

I'm 17 and have been taking Depo for a little over a year. When I first started taking it, I had heavy and long periods. I gained weight like crazy, I went from 119 to 128 in about a week! Now, I only have a little spotting, no cramps, no nothing. I weigh 127 on the dot. I haven't gained a lot of weight or lost a lot. I feel fine. It gets better after your body gets used to it. Give it a couple months or so.

I had a similiar experience. I got my first shot in November of 11' I was supposed to get my 2nd shop January 31st 12' but I DID NOT get it, and considering I have 2 children and not wanting more I still risked not getting it because I gained probably 10-15 pounds in that time, was very fatigued,irritable,depressed and just plain miserable and constantly hungry. All day. Its now April 12' and I am still not on bc and still have not lost the weight. I have changed my diet, cut out soda,fast food and joined a gym and still have not lost the weight, my appetite is just now starting to slow down but not by much! I will never try depo again,despite it being convenient, it is NOT WORTH IT!

I think the one thing to keep in mind is that everyone is affected by Depo differently, so it's difficult to say if something that is working for me will work for someone else. I had a few Depo shots with my last one in Nov 2011. I gained about 8 lbs while on it and since stopping, I even gained a few pounds. Now, I've been really making sure that I eat healthy and watch my daily calories. I've also been exercising most days. In my experience, the weight has been incredibly slow to come off, but the main point is that it's actually coming off. It really all depends on how long it takes your body to get rid of the shot. It's been almost 6 months since my last shot and my cycle still hasn't returned, so I know it's still in my system. I'm hoping that once it's out completely the weight will be easier to lose. It might be a lot faster for you. One of the side affects I experienced due to Depo was highly increased anxiety, so it's certainly possible it's affecting you the same way. I can tell you that about 1-2 months after I skipped my shot I started to feel much better. So just know that things will get better! Like I said I can't tell you exactly what works since Depo affects us all differently. However, the best advice I can give is to eat healthy, exercise, drink a lot of water and the weight will eventually start to fall. Just have the mind set that it is going to take time (probably longer than you want) and even if you have months where you don't lose anything you are still working to make yourself healthy and it will turn out in the end. From one anxiety sufferer to another I know it can be hard not to worry, but you don't need to stress over this. I know how you feel and its not enjoyable to have extra unwanted weight. You will be back to normal if you eat healthy, exercise, drink water and have a lot of patience! I hope this helps put your mind at ease even a little.

I was on the depo for about a year I gained 40 pounds I get depressed alot more I have also have had alot of bad stocmach aches I sometimes feel like am prego again. I have been off of it for 4 months and want anthor baby but still no luck

I was on depo for 8 months and gained 20 pounds the first 3 months and 10 more after that. I used to weigh 103 and now I am stuck at 127 and it will not go away! I have since switched to nuvaring and started dieting the weight will not budge. I have significant gain in my thighs hips and tummy which have never been problem areas before. I am worried this will never go away but the hormones in the nuvaring are making me anxious and causing major depressing and mood swings. Let me know if anyone has a success story to share.

Me too!! This is my situation in a nutshell! I am still not having a period and I feel like absolute c**p and no luck in getting pregnant. I will NEVER recommend or do Depo Prover EveR again!!

hi ladies this is my first time on this site but really happy i come across it.  i really need someone to explain to me what is happing to my body because i for one is confussed. last year december i got married and my husband and i decided that we don't want a baby in the first months of our marriage. i then got a depo shot  in november which last 2 months then i got 2 more after that my last shot was in feb this year, so it's been six months after my last shot. during the shots i did get my period just without the cramps which was  a bonus. after stopping the depo i ship period once in march and sence then got it again. but strange things is happing to my body i get hart burn, i'm tired all the time, emotional, weired discarge, tender breast and strange feeling in nipples. i took test but is was negative

I know everyone has different experiances but i can tell you i havent gain any weight from the shot, i've been getting the shots for about 2 years now and i have had no weight problems. Its all very simple no noticeable changes with my body.

I was on the depo for 2 years I gained 40 lbs retained water and got a lot of acne. It was horrible I stopped a year ago and began the pill now I have stopped thr pill completly. I have been off bc for a week and feel so much better. but I have been having horrible headaches gas tired all the time and peeing all the time. And I never pee maybe twice a day now its like 10 x a day. I have had unprotected sex and I had it on my ovulation days... So I'm not sure what's going on any help

Just thought I'd throw my experience in...

Between the ages of 16 & 18, I was on Depo. Before I started on it, I was the correct weight for my height (maybe even slightly underweight). In the time I was on it, I did put on weight, but thought it was just due to growing into my body (I'm very tall!). I came off it at 18, and went on the pill, but after a few years of or getting to take it etc, I had another shot in July this year. Since then, I've gained weight - I actually LOOK pregnant at the minute! Constant fatigue, mood swings, sickness, stomach ache, very random bleeding. 

I will never get another depo shot, I haven't lost any weight I gained from my teenage years, and to me, the convenience isn't worth the bad moods and raging appetite!!

Me and my boyfriend are planning to try for a baby when I come off the injection, but who knows how long it could take....took over a year to get my body back to normal before!!

In conclusion, don't bother with Depo. It screws your body up...I wish I'd stayed on the pill!

hi

i was on depo for 5 years worst mistake of my life. It is now no longer used here as a contraceptive. I was a healthy size 12 before i took it, im now a size 20 :(
I have been trying for a family for 6 years, i have been off depo for 6 years. i cannot lose weight and feel the unable to concieve is something to do with depo. The doctors wont confirm this but at the back of my mind i know.
i was also told if you are on depo more than 5 years you can start to get brittle bones. This was confirmed by my doctor.

DO NOT GET ON THE DEPO SHOT !

I'm 17 & I recieved my first depo shot in July 2012 ,I Was 148 Pounds. Within the first 2 months i gained about 15 pounds. After my second shot , I Gained Another 10-12 Pounds ... I Am Now 170 pounds. this is the worst thing you can do. i have never been this big in my Life. i cant fit any of my pants & All my weight gain Is Around my thigh and but ares. This shot will be your worst nightmare.

i exercise everyday ( jogging , drinking lots of water .. etc ) and i still have not had any weight  loss . i miss my curvy, cute body :(

DO NOT GET ON THE DEPO SHOT !