I took my first Dep shot in August 2006. Since then my periods became on and off, very irregular and stay for more than 12 days. After a while I started having severe constipation.I would not recommend this shot for anyone, unless it is extreemly necessary. Though you don't have to worry for 3-4 months for birth control, but it is not worth considering the mental stress about future conditions.

i have been on the depo provera for about a year now and want to try for a baby. i have heard that it takes a few months for your periods to return to normal but it doesnt say anything about if you are still having periods i havent missed one and they are the same as before... could is improve my chances of getting pregnant quicker?

I too, started the Depo shot in August 2006. I didn't have my normal periold in September but started to very lightly bleed Sept. 29. From that day on I would continue to bleed on and off. I started to bleed really heavy by my second shot was due. I explained to the nurse but she said that my second shot should stop it. Well, it did slow down the bleeding but I still was bleeding. It was then in Jan 2007 I started to bleed like a heavy rain fall. It was getting out of control. I finaly got an appointment to be seen since I was having the worest cramps of my life. My Dr. examined me and said that it is most likely that my body can't handle the amount of estrogen the shot contains. So he put me on some meds for the pain and to control the bleeding. I finally stopped bleeding in the beginning of March 2007. I made the worse mistake taking this. If I researched more deeply than what I did, I would have never started. Since my first Depo shot my health hasn't been "normal." I had major headaches lasting for days, tired, very moody, upset stomach on most foods, wanted to throw up every morning and night, not to mention the long lasting bleeding. Oh, and I can't forget the smell from bleeding for five months; it wasn't pretty. I wasn't interested in sex and I knew my now fiance understood but was a bit frustrating for him. I can't tell that I've gained weight since I go to the gym 4-5 days a week. Let's just say my butt is super happy to not wear anymore pads.

darn...

I wish I had seen this site before getting my first depo-provera shot. I had a DNC, then 2 weeks later the depoprovera and now 3 weeks later, i am bleeding and cramping like crazy. My doctor feels "it is a side-eefect tjhat rarely happens after an DNC"...I am petrified. I smell like blood all the time and I cant even feel comfortable about going for job interviews.

I had a depo shot right after my daugther's birth in Nov of 2006, i didnt have a period for 7 months then when i did get my period in june i bled very heavy and is still bleeding, i would not recommend this to anyone because it messes up your cycle >:(

Depo provera is nasty! I was also on it... it normally causes a woman to have NO period.. but some have a period or spotting and some bleed all the time. It meeses with your hormones which in turns messes with your entire body.. like bones, glands, emotions etc.

here is my story to share...
I was also on Depo for several years. I want to go on it again, but the side-effects are just not worth it. It not only messed with me emotionally, but screwed up with my hormones and caused thyroid problems to the extent that I had Hashimotos Thyroiditus (sp) and auto-immune disease. I was very sick and was told if IF I had not gone to the doctor, I may have died. I had been off of it for about 3 years at that point BUT the damage was done and got worse with no treatment.
I also began early menopause.. but with lots of meds and close doctor care I am now almost fully recovered and my estrogen is back up to a normal if not bit high level.

I loved.. absolutly LOVED not having my period, that was the best part other than the sex was wonderful.... but for hubby and I, we are not going down that road again.... looking for new options now. My health, wellbeeing and longegevity is more important then a birth control option that causes so much problems.

Good luck!
Thread... https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/abdomina-pain-nausea-on-depo-shot&hpr=ABDOMINA_PAIN_NAUSEA_ON_DEPO_SHOT_

I totally disagree with everything she said. The depo isnt for eveyone and everyones side effects are totally different. I was on it for 4 yrs straight and now I'm taking a break and I loved.. I would recommend it to any and everyone. REMEMBER EVERYONE'S BODY TAKES TO IT DIFFERENTLY SO DONT LISTEN TO OTHER PEOPLE'S EXPERIENCES.

Well, I got my first depo shot on 9/11/07 and since starting, I haven't had a day free of spotting or bleeding. Mostly it is just spotting, sometimes bleeding. I chose depo to simplify my sex life, but instead, it eliminated it. I wasn't properly counseled on the likelihood of prolonged bleeding and I will not be getting the second shot. I tried a high dose of a common NSAID for a week along with increased consumption of Vitamin C and nothing changed. I even tried taking estrogen to thicken the lining of my uterus and I almost feel like that made the bleeding worse. I haven't been able to find anything online about this...about estrogen not working to stop the spotting! All of the literature I read suggested that added estrogen would almost certainly stop the spotting if the NSAID course didn't, so it's been even more demoralizing to have exhausted my options and still be experiencing this unpleasant side effect. Additionally, since the shot, I've been experiencing pain at or around my cervix and occasional cramping...two things I NEVER have felt before in the decade that I've been menstruating.

Anyway, lesson learned...don't bother with any long acting, unremovable hormone.

Update 11/7: So, I continued to spot for the effective course of the Depo (the estradiol courses never did help), but was able to start a new birth control pill two weeks before I was due for the second shot and my spotting stopped within a couple of days and has not returned. This new pill, Alesse, which I have never taken before, seems okay (except for some symptoms which I can only assume are very much like morning sickness) and regardless of its side-effects, it's better than the Depo for which I had to change a everything about my routine with my boyfriend and tolerate the painful cramping it caused.

I have been on the depo for 7 months now and it has not been worth it at all. I was told I would quit bleeding and that was one of the reason's I got on the depo. Since my first shot in april 2007 I bleed anywhere from 2-3 weeks out of every month. They are not light. Since my last shot I have had extreme cramping like I have never had before. My husband and I thought this would be the best route but I will not refer anyone to the shot

DepoProvera Is Evil In My Books, And This Is Only My Opinion But Seems To Be Quiet A Few Other Peoples Too!

Heres My Experience. .
I Had 1 Shot Of Depo Givin In Oct 2007!
So I Just Came Off It, But About 2-3Weeks Prior To Geting My Next Injection Started Seeing Some Spottin ( Brownish In Colour ).
And I Also Had Cramping & BreastTendernes! I Decided Not To Recieve My Next Injection Because I Didnt Feel Myself, I Mean I Know MyBody And I Knew Somthing Wasnt Right Reguardless To Whatever Anyone Else Says. I Am Still Having Cramps And Spotting 2 Weeks On, I Just Want My Normal Cycle Back. And No One Can Answer Me When That Will Happen!

Personaly I DO NOT Reccomend This Method Of Birth Control As It Really Messes Up Ur Body !

I got the depo provera shot in Oct 2007. The doctor did not warn me of these severe side effects. I never really had a period, just started spotting nonstop starting in dec and to this day (feb 2008) am still spotting on a daily basis. I did not go back for my second shot which i was due for in Dec. I am still seeing the side effect of something that should have been out of my system nearly 2 months ago!!! Who knows when this will end. Ive been spotting for nearly 3 months striaght, its brown and not normal. Very embarrasing as well Im 22 y.o. and cant have a sex life becuase i dont want to ruin anyones sheets!!! I would never recommend this form of BC to anyone.

Well, I got my shot n May 2006 and from then on I start spottin n bleeding after going to the doctor and getting told that spotting and bleeding could last for a year I continue to take it for a year (like a dummy) but really im young and dont want no kids to young and i mess with no good men or untruthed men (i want my kids farther to be around) .

A year later the same thing but this time my body start developing BV Bacterial Vaginosis over 5 times then my both on its on developed MPC Mucopurulent Cervicitis which could be cause by Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Trichimonas, and Herpes? Well i was not having sex cause i been bleedin for almost two years so when/where did that come about? Well now i dont have a boyfriend, I have no type of a sex drive and im 19 and im waitin for this stuff to whereoff still bleedin doe n its March 2,2008. Never agin

I also went on DEPO fon FEb. 08th. Three weeks prior to my second shot I started bleeding heavly . The morning are work, I am sick of how many eaccidents I have had in the past 3 weeks. I went to my doctor and she said there is nothing she can do about it. This drives me nuts! I have been bleeding non stop ( heavy flow) for 3 weeks and I cannot believe there is nothing medicine can do. Has anyone heard of a solution to this, or waiting is the oly method!?

I have been having horrible side effects from the depo shot. I started the shot almost 2 years ago. I am still having problems. After the first shot I was bleeding almost daily and the nurse told me to get the second shot and it would help regulate the hormones. Well that worked until right after the 3rd shot. Then I was back to bleeding again. I never knew when I was going to bleed or when it would stop. It wasn't heavy but still annoying. When I got married I decided that I wanted to get pregnant and stopped taking the shot. My last shot was in Feb 2007 and I am still having problems. After my last shot I had no period for 3 months and now I am always bleeding. I feel like I will never get pregnant. I would never recommend the depo to anyone!

I took Depo in 1995-96...I got off of it because I got married and now I can't have children the "normal way". I was told that Depo screwed my system up badly that I now don't produce any eggs and I'm only 34.