I’m suffering from really bad acne problem and I’m past my puberty (I’m 22) and I’ve tried the Accutane treatment which was somewhat successful, but my dermatologist thinks that my acne are related to some hormonal disbalance and forwarded me to my ob-gyn. It turned out I have polycystic ovaries syndrome (PCOS) and my ob-gyn suggested I start using birth control pills to try to get my hormones in order, and she said that if I choose Diane 35 contraceptive pills, I’d also have a bigger chance of my acne clearing up.

Of course I wanted to start immediately, but the long list of side effects of these particular BCP is what concerns me. Is any of you out there using Diane 35 and what is your experience?

Hi Emma,

Diane contraceptive pills have helped me a lot in clearing my skin from acne. I couldn't believe that was possible after only one month, but it did happen - my skin was as clear as it was before I entered puberty. But, the side effects from the pill were in my case so bad I had to switch to different BC pill.

I gained 20 lbs during that year I was on dianne, but besides this I became so depressed that my doctor wanted me to start taking Paxil or get off Dianne. So I choose to stay off the antidepressants. This is how I reacted to the pill and it doesn't mean you will too. Maybe you can try the pill for the few months and see what happens.

Hello Emma,

I know how much having severe acne can impact your life, but when choosing birth control pills, especially since you also have polycystic ovaries, you should opt for the birth control pills that will successfully manage PCOS because that way your hormones will be more balanced and there's a chance that your acne will get better, too.

Like the previous poster said, chances are that Diane will improve your acne and that your skin will clear up, but as soon as you stop the pill, their effects stop too. On the other hand, treating your PCOS will have more lasting effects, but it's ulimately up to you to decide.

thanks for replying! I went to see my ob-gyn and she wasn't too keen on prescribing me Diane contraceptive pills either, but instead I got a prescription for mini-pill Jolivette. This pill should also help with my acne and also, maybe even more importantly, I should stop having heavy and painful periods on this pill.

The side effects from this pill should be minimal since it doesn't contain estrogen, so I'm hoping I wont have to deal with weight gain or depression.