I'm taking small dose of diazepam. Can St. John's Wort be taken without any ill effects?

Combining the two is not advisable. St John's wort can lessen the effects of diazepam.

My traditionally trained allopathic Doctor, trained in Russia and America, familiar with holistic medicine, said yesterday that when the dose is small it is not dangerous or harmful to mix these two substances (I asked this very same question of her yesterday as she encouraged me to stop taking diaz.) The other respondent has suggested it is not advisable to mix these two medicinals but has offered no supporting clinical information and this is inadequate, I hope the questioner has looked for more info about the reasons besides 'St Johnswort decreases the effect of diaz.' which sounds clinical but is not a complete answer to the question.

I don't think that there have been any studies that I know of on St. John's wort and diazepram as well. If you know of any, I'd really like to hear about it because I don't think I've heard of any. I'm definitely open to hearing about it though! Thanks :)

I have been researching the interactions of St Johns Wort, 5-htp and valium. I just finished reading an article that reviewed a few journal publications and it mentioned that St Johns Wort decreases the effectiveness of diazepam (valium) and on ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed I believe it says it decreases the effect of alprazolam (xanax). I recently got a bottle because of a bout of depression, but since I already take valium I don't think I will be taking the St Johns Wort or I will take my valium in the morning as usual and then a small dose of St Johns before bed. Im sure in small doses, taking 12 hours apart from each other would be the best bet. If you take the St Johns Wort at the same time that you take the valium you are decreasing the effectiveness of the valium. Maybe take the St Johns Wort around bedtime and then the valium in the morning time, spacing out when you take them so each has a better effect. The half life of St Johns Wort is around 24 hours so it is basically absorbed, metabolized and done with quite fast, so by the time you take the valium it shouldn't effect it as much, just my thoughts on that last part, but anywho, what that guy said a few posts up is true. St johns wort weakens the effectiveness of the valium......

24 half life is NOT short!!!!! That's pretty huge compared with a lot of other drugs. Valium is much longer besides- one of the longest half-life of any psychoactive drug that I know of.