Can anyone shed some light on whether or not I would benefit from taking St.John's Wort in lieu of quitting prescription anti-depressants?It is day 3 without Effexor and I am interested in herbal alternatives.Since withdrawal from Effexor was so awful,I am particularly interested in any negative effects that may be associated with St.John's Wort.I am also interested in any feedback on the use of Royal Bee jelly and liquid ginseng.I used these before my heart attack(blocked arteries) 4 years ago but have been hesitant to start again.Most doctors I have dealt with don't seem to want to elaborate very much on herbal remedies(big surprise..lol)Anyone know a good website with info on herbal supplements? Thanks!

Taking herbal antidepressants with prescription antidepressants can cause headaches, anxiety, nausea, and confusion. I suggest you make sure the drug is completely out of your system before you start taking St. John's Wort.

The major side effect of St. John's Wort is light sensitivity. You should probably wear sunglasses and sunscreen when you go out. It's best to use natural sunscreen, so head to a natural health food store and buy some there. That's just a suggestion.

Other side effects include anxiety, dry mouth, dizziness, gastrointestinal symptoms, fatigue, headache, or sexual dysfunction. These side effects are rare, but if you experience them, decrease your dose or stop taking St. John's Wort.

As for Royal Bee Jelly, it can attract bees. If you're allergic to bees, don't use it. If you have food allergies, don't use it as well.

Ginseng can cause nervousness, sleeplessness, high blood pressure, insomnia, restlessness, anxiety, euphoria, diarrhea, vomiting, headache, nosebleed, breast pain, and vaginal bleeding. This remedy requires more caution if you're taking it. If you have a health care provider, talk to them first.

As with all natural remedies, it's always best to go to a natural health food store and get the highest quality. These herbal supplements are sold in drugstores, but the quality is very low. You can talk to a naturopath or person at the store about the best brands.