What is the benefit of st johns wort in bipolar disorder? A friend of mine was diagnosed that behaviour disorder. It’s exactly not that seious, but had episodes of manic depression. As I know all the drugs that are used in bp have number of side effects. What do you think about herbal remedies? How helpful st john wort may be?

It’s true that these drugs are not very effective, but with plenty adverse effects. I also have a friend that has bipolar disorder. He’s on trileptal. I was interested in st john’s worth and the other natural remedies. I found that omega3 fatty acids may be helpful in reducing symptoms of bp. But st. johns worth has no effect in bipolar disorder. It can be effective in mild depression.

I have bipolar and have effectively controlled it for several years now by using a combination of methods. I have learned to recognise the warning signs and i let my manic phases occur as they are controlable now. However, the depression phases are more difficult. I take a 900mg dose of st johns wort at the first signs of depression if not i will just stay in bed all day leading to major sleep pattern disorders. In addition to this I found a huge difference when addressing my diet. I eat plenty of fish containing high amounts of omega oils. When I get sick of eating fish I just switch to supplements. Bipolar is a constant battle and I did not effectively bring mine under control until I became an NLP practitioner. I then found self therapy effective by using Timeline therapy. Please do not take a high dose as I do, I tollerate st johns wort well with no side effects. I dont take any other medication. St johns wort is known to react with/amplify certain medications. This is known to lead to mania and other complications. For further information search medline plus for st johns wort. Also google using st johns wort and bipolar in your search. You will find plenty of information here of whay you should not take t johns wort with bipolar syndrome. As I said earlier I tollerate the drug well and it works for me. Its the same as prescription drugs what works for some does not work for others.

you should check out the research on n-acetyl-cysteine for bipolar disorder,look up science daily.