Hi, my father is a very old man. He has been suffering from mood swings ever since I was a kid. Of course, I had no idea about it at that time. Now I am beginning to be more interested. It seems that he has been taking some kind of drug that is related to lithium to treat this condition. My question is: does lithium help at all with this kind of condition?

Hi, lithium is known as a drug that is applied for treating several conditions. Among them are: bipolar disorder, mood swings and sometimes depression and mania. Actually, it is a lithium ion that is used as a drug. It is located in a variety of lithium salts. When used, it spreads through the central nervous system. Contact with neurotransmitters and receptors is then achieved. As a result, noradrenalin production is diminished and a creation of serotonin is increased. Serotonin is very important neurotransmitter that helps us regulate emotions like anger, mood and aggression. Lithium helps the serotonin production and lowers the levels of noradrenalin. However, it is extremely important to follow the prescribed dosages. There have been known side effects of lithium overuse. That is why lithium nowadays is not widely used. Since your father has been on this kind of drug for some time, I am sure that he is following doctor’s orders as he is suppose to.