I have bi-polar disorder and have been on several medictions over the years to stabalize my mood. I got sober two years ago, and for the past couple of years I have been somewhat stable taking Seroquil, Prozac, Topomax, and Trazadone. Recently I have heard all this negativity about Seroquil, things my Doctors never warned me about. For example cognitive dulling and diabetes development. Lawyers are contacting me to see if I have diabetes and I want to sue the Drug company. As far as the dulling, is there permanant damage.My fiance has said I have been mentally slower. I have tried Lithium without positive results. Is there another/ better drug without these side effects? How much do we really know about seroquil?

You shouldn’t be so frsutrted about Seroquel especially if it is doing you good. I think that tis is the most important, that you are symptoms free.

As for the side effect, other drugs are no better that seroquel including Lithium and many others.
The thing is that some previous reserches found that seroquel was the least dangerous. It belongs to a class of drugs called atypical antipsychotics and they are all known as well as the antidepressants, and others to cause possible severe side effects like weight gain, diabetes, impotence and raised prolactin, cognitive dulling, and heart rhythm irregularity.

So, it is not just seroquel but all of these drugs act that way because they mess around ( work) with neurotransmitters in the brain.

You see, seroquill was found to be the mildest of antipsychotics, that it doesn’t raise prolactin and is the least susceptible of causing EPS- various uncontrolled movements that could occur from antipsychotic drugs.

Do you happen to sleep to much since you’ve been put on seroquell. It is what it does actually. It is considered as one of its flaws but if the drug is doing you good and is rare to help you with the symptoms, I would say to stick with it and of course have regular follow-ups with your doc.

I think that once you have managed to bring the symptoms under control, you should be put on the lowest effective dose to maintain it but your doctor would know best.

Were there any other drugs you tried to maintain the symptoms of bipolar? How are you coping? You are very lucky to have such an understanding girlfriend. Greetings to both of you!

Quote:

I have been taking seroquel for 2 1/2 years-i have gained in excess of 120 pounds.at 250 pounds,i am miserable.this is the most i have ever weighed.i was 130 pounds when i met my fiancee and this weight is really hurting our relationship.had i known i would get this heavy,i would of objected to the use of seroquel.i can not lose the weight.I do not over eat and i exercise.i have tried every thing.including terrble choices such as taking laxatives and starving myself.i nee help.

Well, you certainly need a professional to help you. First of all, you need to talk to your doc about changing drugs if that is even possible and see if something else works as well as seroquel-I suppose you were symptoms free from bipol disorders.
I don’t know how other drugs would influence your behavior but you will need a lot of work to lose all that weight and if your symptoms come back, that will be very hard.

This is why you need to talk to your doctor who prescribed seroquel, and see what s/he has to say about it. Then it would be wise to talk to a nutritionist and see if s/he could prescribe a diet according to your age, weight and general health. You should also check your thyroid gland and check your general health because so much weight could be causing you trouble. I really hope you will manage to get some help. Good luck!

I have to do a research about metabolic changes of pregnancy. Ineed your help , please.

I am bipolar, and had been doing fine with just Lithium and Effexor, but in the past year or so I started having trouble with nightmares. So my doctor added seroquel, and it really works. I guess my only bad side effect is that I have a harder time waking up the next day. But oh well. All my other medicines make it hard to wake up anyway, so what is another drag on my eyelids?

Somebody mentioned the huge weightgain, and I think my wife would agree with that. She is also on seroquel, and she gained weight after she started taking it. In fact, she gained it so fast that she thought she was pregnant, and she has the sort of stretch marks that a pregnant lady would have. But I think she thinks that the benefits outweigh (no pun intended) the negatives. And I agree. I would rather her have a little belly than be crazy.

Hi Everyone. My name is Johnny and I have experience Bipolar symptoms since I was 15. I was not officially diagnosed until about 6 months ago. I am currently taking 150 MG x 2 of Wellbutrin XL, 300 MG x 4 of Gabapentin, 300 MG x 3 of PMS Lithium-Carbonate, and 1.5 of non-medicinal Melatonin for severe insomnia. I feel that I am having more mania episodes lately and feel extreme irritability. It affects everyone around me and I am lucky to have such a caring and understanding partner. I am looking for something else to help stabilize my moods and lower my mania episodes. My doctor had prescribed me Risperdol, but that stuff is horrible! I lost my sex drive, was sedated to the point i was a vegetable, and I gained weight! I am very self-conscious about my weight and that did not help. Almost as soon as I discontinued to the Risperdol I started dropping weight and losing inches like crazy. I am looking for suggestions of something that I can take with my other meds so I can live a healthier and more stable life. I refuse to take anything that is known for weight gain. Thanks everyone :-)

p.s. for now I take 0.5-1.0 MG of Lorazepam to control severe mania episodes, which appear to becoming more frequent :-(

I understand how some of you feel about the side effects of these bipolar meds. Im currently on Risperadone and I only take 1mg of the stuff and I think its trying to kill me. I'm sensitive to side effects. I have gained about 20lbs and my heart hurts every now and then. Just this past saturday it hurt real bad. Since Im single and gaining weight and not looking any better the loss of my sex drive isnt really a problem. I see my doctor at the end of the month and Im going to request another medicine. I dont know what to choose. I have a hard time sleeping at night and when I do fall asleep I have a hell of a time waking up. With these kind of side effects I think I'll take the chance of being crazy. Well I have second thoughts about that too. I believe what I went through was a spiritual awakening and not so much just a mania episode. But since no one really knows anything about the other I feel like Im up sh*t creek.

%-)

This is how I cope with my situation. Whenever I feel like Im not going to live long enough, I go shopping and buy some new clothes for my fat ass. Then I buy me some thing real nice to eat. Then I go home and start drinking beer and skip taking my medicine. I heard its bad to take with alcohol. Sometimes Im able to drink all night and since Im lucky to be alive another day sometimes I can find a friend to drink with me. I wouldnt say Im a depressed person because all those things make me feel better and when the next day comes around I tend to forget about yesterday. Im not afraid of dying... Im more afraid of not living. Theres all kinds of stuff I want to see and do before I go and I feel like theres something trying to say my life is about to be over. So Im prepared to die to. I keep my apartment clean and only hold on to stuff that looks like it would be cool to give to someone else. I dont even have much porn on my computer but the stuff I do have is pretty good. I dont have any drugs in my place or any other dirty secrets. Im prepared for whatever the future has to throw at me. Im living off a government pension and going to school. I have a future.

I am switching soon off of seroquel because of weight gain. I am afraid of adult onset diabetes and my psychiatrist must feel the same because we are getting ready to try out lamictal.

i gained 20kg when i was on lithium, and when i was on respiridol i started lactating!!!! to everyone who needs something like respiridol, there is a new drug on the market which is very similar but without most of the nasty side effects, it's called INVEGA, and it's an antipsychotic and it's amazing how it can get those crazy racing thoughts out of my head!

i'm also on seroquel, which i would describe as zombie pills. i haven't been taking it lately because i get weird muscle cramps and twitching, even on a low dose of 200mg. this used to only happen with much larger doses and not very often, but it is happening all the time now! does this happen to anyone else????

also i'm on lamotrigine (mood stabiliser) buspar (antianxiety) endep (antipsychotic) plus the invega/seroquel and also take stillnox (sleeping pill) and valium. has anyone had any side effects from these?

also someone mentioned effexor...when i was put on that it made me go really manic! it's apparantly the worse antidepressant for bipolar as it can cause more mania and rapid cycling. plus has anyone noticed how it seems to be all the rage with psychiatrists? personally i don't want to be on a drug that's being mass prescribed because the doctors are all being paid to do so. i actually saw a doctor once and they had an effexor clock on the wall! plus a load of pens and notepads all covered in effexor logos!!!!

I never was told It could cause such side effects. I stopped taking it intermittently and it is not working for me anymore. This is dangerous. I was up to 300 mg a day. I feel like a crazy person. I was also on Lamictal that seemed to do ok for me but I can't afford it anymore. And I was on Lexapro, Valilum. I stopped everything. Starting drinking again. Now I am worse than ever. Waiting for my Doctor to come back from Germany. Going crazy!!! :'( >;) :-S !

you can't gain weight do to a medication alone. A medication can make you crave foods but you are responsible for what you put in your body. i tried the "it caused me to gain weight" the doctor said does the pill have 2500 calories in it, my answer no, then how can a pill make you gain weight- it can't. it has to be something you are doing, overeating, making bad choice, eating late at night........ a pill can not make you gain weigh, because a pill has no CALORIE intakeCode:

I take lamctil or lamotragine. It helps alot.