My husband has been taking fiorinal w/codine for over 30 yrs for migraines, and klonopin for anxiety attacks about the last 4 years. Along with this, he has been increasing his alcohol intake to a dangerous level. He has been off both the fiorinal and klonopin for about 6 months, but in my opinion, it has severely affected his mental stability. He is extremely agitated, can't sleep and drinks constantly to try and "take the edge off".

He cannot be around his children, because any little incident sets him off. His drinking has kept him out for days on end, and led to an affair....with another drunk!!! I am trying to be patient and understanding because I realize it is the withdrawal from the meds doing this to him...but how long does it take to completely detox from this type of abuse? Is there anything he can be doing to try and offset these feelings? He honestly thinks he may need to be committed to a mental health facility.......

Does anyone have any advice?????

Dear CPutt,

I am going through a very similar thing with my husband. He is an alcoholic (now clean from that for 1 year via the help of antabuse) but within the past year he was drinking heavily, taking several psychotropic meds, one being klonopin, and was taking hydrocodone like it was candy. He also had an affair, got a Dui, asked for a divorce, retracted the divorce and as of this past week is in a treatment facility for severe withdrawal symtoms from hydrocodone and klonopin.. Its horrible for everyone involved. I dont have alot of encouragement at this point but as this goes along i will be glad to pass this info along to you.. Good luck and i hope that your husband feels better soon..

To both the people who posted above: Fiorinal can be a sneaky, tricky one to try withdrawing from. However, there is medications that can be prescribed to get off. ofcourse, each individual is different, the dosages taken and duration. However the following I recommend. Excedrin for the caffeine and acetaminophen which will help with the aspirin(although it is not an NSAID like aspirin, it takes care of the horrific headaches some deal with) If you have not taking benzodiazepines ever, or do not have a benzo dependency, clonazepam and valium, two long acting benzo's will be very helpful taking for about a week in ridding WD's from bultalbital in the fiorinal. Finally, in taking care of any narcotic WD's from the codeine in the fiorinal, something called Kratom(get powder version)  is useful. The powder will alleviate most WD's from codeine to suboxone. however, only take for a couple of weeks. The powder form of Kratom is the best form to tak(over the leaves) for any narcotic withdrawals. Hope this was helpful.

I apologize for double post. I wanted to mention Kratom is not prescribed in U.S. but can be brought through reputable vendors. Also, my grammer and writing was a bit sloppy, and chaotic so I wanted to mention again the following OTC's and prescription medications that can help when going through fioricet or fiorinal withdrawals:
OTC Excedrin. Prescription for Klonopin(clonazepam), or Valium(diazepam).